Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new watch for work, going out, etc

Jets Insider VIP

Looking for a new watch for work, going out, etc

The ones I like are between $900.00 and $1300.00. Too much?

Most expensive watch I've ever owned is/was a $600.00 Tag. Part of me feels guilty.

Need some input...

Jets Insider VIP
    What do you do for work? How big is your wrist? Do you want something dressy, sporty or both? Do you care if it's quartz? Lots of questions, I know, but they will go a long way towards your decision. Your price range is okay, certainly not too high IMHO. Personally, I'm a big fan of Omega, but you will have trouble finding one new in that price range, though going used (through the right people) can be a good idea. I moderate on a fairly popular watch site, so I could help you out whichever way you decide to go. Longines, Oris, Baume & Mercier are all off the beaten path but make very nice watches.

Here's a few pictures from my collection:
    [B]Seamaster Professional:[/B]
    [IMG]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4566/smpentry.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]Seamaster Aqua Terra:[/B]
    [IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2710/atentry.jpg[/IMG]
    [B]1969 Seamaster Day/Date:[/B]
    [IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1618/sm032c.jpg[/IMG]

Ebel.

All Pro
    Braume
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 07-30-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3661892]Ebel.[/QUOTE]

They're not a bad suggestion either, maybe a half-tier above their parent company Movado.

Aside from one of the companies I listed, Seiko is also a very good alternative at that price point, as is Tag, Concord and Hamilton. There's just so many options, that was why I asked those questions.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3661922]They're not a bad suggestion either, maybe a half-tier above their parent company Movado.

Aside from one of the companies I listed, Seiko is also a very good alternative at that price point, as is Tag, Concord and Hamilton. There's just so many options, that was why I asked those questions.[/QUOTE]

Nicest watch I've ever had is an Ebel, valued at about $1,500. I never would have bought it for myself, but have been very happy with it.

Only problem has been finding a jeweler who will replace the battery for a reasonable price....for some reason they don't like to open these things up!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3661929]Nicest watch I've ever had is an Ebel, valued at about $1,500. I never would have bought it for myself, but have been very happy with it.

Only problem has been finding a jeweler who will replace the battery for a reasonable price....for some reason they don't like to open these things up![/QUOTE]

Go to a jeweler who is an authorized dealer (AD) for a few reputable brands. Most of them have a watchmaker on staff that will open up a quartz watch and replace the battery for under $75, which should also include a new caseback seal and pressure test. Automatics are pricier for service as they require a lot more attention (many more moving parts) and usually go $200~$300 for a general service.

DO NOT let some random jeweler who primarily sells rings and chains work on your watch. You will likely regret it in the long run.

Nice watches JW, Omega is by far one of the best brands and quality of watches. My father has a big fetish for watches so he gave me the rundown on a few of the best. I love Breitling watches. Cartier is also a great brand. I was told Movado are poorly constructed and the mechanisms are cheap, as for Michele watches.

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3661946]Go to a jeweler who is an authorized dealer (AD) for a few reputable brands. Most of them have a watchmaker on staff that will open up a quartz watch and replace the battery for under $75, which should also include a new caseback seal and pressure test. Automatics are pricier for service as they require a lot more attention (many more moving parts) and usually go $200~$300 for a general service.

DO NOT let some random jeweler who primarily sells rings and chains work on your watch. You will likely regret it in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice...and the approximate price ranges. Like I said, beautiful watch - just need a new battery!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3661991]Nice watches JW, Omega is by far one of the best brands and quality of watches. My father has a big fetish for watches so he gave me the rundown on a few of the best. I love Breitling watches. Cartier is also a great brand. I was told Movado are poorly constructed and the mechanisms are cheap, as for Michele watches.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I intend to add a Breitling by years end, either a Colt II or Superocean Heritage. Cartier is very good, not my cup of tea though. I've had a few Movados, and as long as you know what you're getting into, they are fine. I wouldn't pay retail, but if you can score one for around $300, they are solid. Michele is terrible, as are the other "fashion" watches like Kenneth Cole and Nautica.

Top of the line is probably A. Lange & Sohne, Patek Phillipe, Breguet, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet. I'd put Blancpain and Glashutte Original right below that, Zenith too. Panerai, Rolex and IWC would come next with Omega and Cartier a hair below. All my opinion, of course.;)

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3662008]Thanks for the advice...and the approximate price ranges. Like I said, beautiful watch - just need a new battery![/QUOTE]

No problem. Good luck!

All Pro
    oh! so you like to watch huh! typical freak.

I'm not a jewelery guy but I bought a Swatch a while ago and I got nothing but compliments on it all the time. I find they make excellent quality watches that look beautiful and they're only about 130$. But, if you're looking for status symbol shiz... well you can always but a Rolex.

All League
    it hink you should get a rolodex

Jets Insider VIP
    Thx Jetworks. I have it narrowed down. Always owned quartzes, but one of the ones I'm looking at is an automatic (motion keeps it going? do i have that correct?)

I have that old-style, Depression-era, Puritan/German thing about spending money, even though I"m only 49: can't spend more than $40k for a car, didn't buy too much house (more than I need).... now trying to decide what's good to spend on a watch without it being too much and feeling guilty.

All Pro
    i sport two watches, skagen and kenneth cole. both about $150-200 and look great. can't see myself spending much more then that on a watch, but that's just me. :)

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3661891]How big is your wrist?][/QUOTE]

Is this a gay thing?

[QUOTE=quantum;3662357]Thx Jetworks. I have it narrowed down. Always owned quartzes, but one of the ones I'm looking at is an automatic (motion keeps it going? do i have that correct?)

I have that old-style, Depression-era, Puritan/German thing about spending money, even though I"m only 49: can't spend more than $40k for a car, didn't buy too much house (more than I need).... now trying to decide what's good to spend on a watch without it being too much and feeling guilty.[/QUOTE]

40K for a car...old style depression era? :) My last 3 cars weren't that much combined :)

Depression era watch spending would be using the clock on the wall :)

My dad has always been crazy about the Rado brand. He once paid $5k for one which he's since given to me.

Meanwhile, I can't stand wearing a watch (although I am actually fascinated by the mechanics and pricing structures), and I think paying more than $50 for one is absurd...so there goes that.

Don't know much about watches...what can yall tell me about a Rado?

You want a digital watch? I do a lot of technical stuff, and Suunto is by far one of the best brands. Some of them look great too.

[URL="http://www.suunto.com/en-us/"]Suunto[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southside;3662140]I'm not a jewelery guy but I bought a Swatch a while ago and I got nothing but compliments on it all the time. I find they make excellent quality watches that look beautiful and they're only about 130$. But, if you're looking for status symbol shiz... well you can always but a Rolex.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly, Swatch Group owns many Swiss watch brands, including prestigious ones such as Breguet, Omega, Longines, Hamilton and Tissot, among others. Rolex is nice, but I feel the brand has lost some of it's luster due to companies such as Invicta putting out "homage" or clone watches (they're not replicas or copies, they swear), rendering the unique look of say, a Submariner, ubiquitous. Still, Rolex is a great brand.

[QUOTE=quantum;3662357]Thx Jetworks. I have it narrowed down. Always owned quartzes, but one of the ones I'm looking at is an automatic (motion keeps it going? do i have that correct?)

I have that old-style, Depression-era, Puritan/German thing about spending money, even though I"m only 49: can't spend more than $40k for a car, didn't buy too much house (more than I need).... now trying to decide what's good to spend on a watch without it being too much and feeling guilty.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, an automatic will stay (relatively) wound through motion. Nothing wrong with a high-end quartz like the first Seamaster I posted, though. What do you have in mind, if you don't mind my asking?

[QUOTE=FF2;3662370]Is this a gay thing?[/QUOTE]

Could be. Hug?

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3662361]i sport two watches, skagen and kenneth cole. both about $150-200 and look great. can't see myself spending much more then that on a watch, but that's just me. :)[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would say the next time you should spend that amount on a Seiko. Infinitely better quality.

[QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3662385]My dad has always been crazy about the Rado brand. He once paid $5k for one which he's since given to me.

Meanwhile, I can't stand wearing a watch (although I am actually fascinated by the mechanics and pricing structures), and I think paying more than $50 for one is absurd...so there goes that.

Don't know much about watches...what can yall tell me about a Rado?[/QUOTE]

Rado is a very respected brand, especially among vintage collectors. They are also part of the Swatch Group. They've always been distinctive in their designs and are regarded as innovators in the use of scratch-proof materials such as tungsten and ceramics. I like the original Diastar look, reminds me of my Omega Cosmic:

[IMG]http://a.imageshack.us/img841/2361/cosmiccond.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Jetworks; 07-31-2010 at 12:15 PM.