Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Damon... Hall of Famer?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Damon... Hall of Famer?

It looks like Damon is on his way to 3,000 hits.

Just 480 shy. If he play for 3 more years, which he probably will, he'll get it.

Hard for me to say yes, since he was never as good as Bernie Williams, who will never get into the Hall of Fame. Johnny Damon can only dream of putting up the numbers Bernie put up between 1995-2002.

..hell Kenny Lofton, IMO, was a better player, and he'll never be in the HOF.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-02-2010 at 09:28 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Just 480 shy. If he play for 3 more year, which probably will, he'll get it.

Hard for me to say yes, since I don't think he was ever as good as Bernie Williams, who will never get into the Hall of Fame. Johnny Damon can only dream of putting of the number Bernie Williams put up between 1995-2002.
    if you are going to mention bernie, you then have to mention donnie baseball who is not nor will probably not make it to the hall either....3000 would be a hard number to balk at though

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    if you are going to mention bernie, you then have to mention donnie baseball who is not nor will probably not make it to the hall either....3000 would be a hard number to balk at though
    I mentioned Bernie and Lofton with Damon because they where all CFers in their prime.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craig Biggio is a player with 3,000 hits.. who I don't think is a Hall of Famer. Played 20 years of decent baseball with a few great years sprinkled in. Good player, not a Hall of Famer.

These milestone numbers like 3,000 hits and 500 home runs aren't what they use to be.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-02-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Damon doesnt ring my HOF bell either, hits aside.

Interesting take on him in Torre's book...not popular at all in the clubhouse and a reluctant player overall. I would be surprised to see him stick around to try to get 3000.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't realize he was so close to 3,000 hits, but my vote is still no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Interesting take on him in Torre's book...not popular at all in the clubhouse and a reluctant player overall. I would be surprised to see him stick around to try to get 3000.
    No... And neither is Biggio. But 3,000 hits means you are in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mentioned Bernie and Lofton with Damon because they where all CFers in their prime.
    lofton sure did have a few good years along with practically the whole indians team back then with belle, manny, alomar, visquel, etc. I just don't thing lofton dominated long enough to get the nod for the hall..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Just 480 shy. If he play for 3 more years, which he probably will, he'll get it.

Hard for me to say yes, since he was never as good as Bernie Williams, who will never get into the Hall of Fame. Johnny Damon can only dream of putting up the numbers Bernie put up between 1995-2002.

..hell Kenny Lofton, IMO, was a better player, and he'll never be in the HOF.
    3000 hits or not, not good enough for the hall of fame, IMHO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a hall of famer to me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Craig Biggio is a player with 3,000 hits.. who I don't think is a Hall of Famer. Played 20 years of decent baseball with a few great years sprinkled in. Good player, not a Hall of Famer.

These milestone numbers like 3,000 hits and 500 home runs aren't what they use to be.
    I don't have a problem with Biggio in the Hall. One of the best 2b in baseball when he played.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I can't believe Johnny Damon is that close to 3,000 hits. He and Craig Biggio are a testament to longevity. I don't see him or Biggio as HOF'rs, but if he gets 3,000 hit you have to put him in the hall. There are only 27 members in the 3,000 hit club. Only 3 members aren't in the HOF. Pete Rose. Raphael Palmiero and Craig Biggio. Biggio will be voted in, but the other 2 won't for obvious reasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

The more I here quotes from Torre's book the more I can't stand the guy. And he still thinks he did nothing wrong by writing that book now....child please!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    The more I here quotes from Torre's book the more I can't stand the guy. And he still thinks he did nothing wrong by writing that book now....child please!
    It was weird reading it..you def. had the sense there was a violation of the clubhouse code...and especially remarkable that he thought he could just waltz over to another job as an active manager and not have the players view him with suspicion.

Imho, he had an ax to grind with Cashman and the Steinbrenners and that alone wasnt enough to fill a book, so he put in some sensational crap to fill and sell it. THere is a lot of verbose filler in the book btw....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The HOF is not for good or very good players. It's for the BEST players. Johnny was/is a very good player but he was never among the top at his position.

Just because a guy can stick around for 20 years and pile up numbers does not make him great.

It's not the Hall of Longevity, but I think sometimes people get too caught up in the final tally of a player's career instead of looking for a 7 year period of dominance. Today's era is filled with guys like Jim Edmonds, Berine Williams, Kenny Lofton, Tori Hunter -- Damon is just another in the pack. Not a standout by any stretch.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the consesus with most baseball fans is that he's not a Hall of Famer, but do the writers ignore 3,000 hits? Because he's likely going to reach that milestone. Craig Biggio will be a good test case for them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think of him as a HOFer but the HOF has been whored out already and if I was put in charge, I would start throwing plaques of players who are in but don't belong out the windows. It's gotten to the point where they need to create a new wing for elite players.

I have always thought that if a player is HOF worthy, you should never have to think about it. And I don't think many will just immediately say yes on Damon.

With that said, if Damon gets 3,000 hits along with his WS wins, he will eventually get into the HOF.

By the way, if the people that run the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ran the Baseball Hall of Fame, they would have enshrined John McEnroe by now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    .794 career OPS, doesn't exactly scream Hall of famer to me. He had a nice career but was it really HOF worthy? I don't think so.

Though as a lead off hitter, IDK...

Bernie Williams was a much better hitter than Damon was, I would take a prime Bernie Williams as my CFer over a prime Johnny Damon any day of the week.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...oh and if he does go in, which hat will be on his plaque? I think he'll always be known one of the "Idiots" on the Red Sox, but he wasn't there longer than he was on the Royals or Yankees, and his years with the Yankees are when his numbers peaked.

Royals - 6 seasons.......(.292 AVG/ .351 OBP/ .438 SLG/ .789 OPS/ 100 OPS+/ 65 HR/ 352 RBI/ 156 SB)
    Athletics - 1 season.....(.256 AVG/ .324 OBP/ .363 SLG/ .687 OPS/ 82 OPS+/ 9 HR/ 49 RBI/ 27 SB)
    Red Sox - 4 seasons.....(.295 AVG/ .362 OBP/ .441 SLG/ .803 OPS/ 108 OPS+/ 56 HR/ 299 RBI/ 98 SB)
    Yankees - 4 seasons.....(.285 AVG/ .363 OBP/ .458 SLG/ .821 OPS/ 114 OPS+/ 77 HR/ 296 RBI/ 93 SB)
    Tigers - 1 season..........(.281 AVG/ .373 OBP/ .432 SLG/ .805 OPS/ 115 OPS+/ 7 HR/ 32 RBI/ 7 SB)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-02-2010 at 01:24 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not. He was never a great player, he was pretty good for a long time, and a good clutch hitter.