Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Story will make a grown man cry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IHATEDOLPHINS;3666900]I believe they mentioned her on PTi the other day

What a rough story to read.A Manager at my job was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in January.I just found out today they sent him home from the hospital,with hospus coming to make him comfortable.That quick it's killing him.He will leave behind 2 small children

When are we gonna be able to cure this horrible disease[/QUOTE]

Quick guess. Was he an ex-smoker?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heart breaking. Sorry for your loss Ruby, to you too Ty for whatever stage of the battle you and your family are in or have endured.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone, I lost my mother just over 6 years ago to ovarian cancer, she was diagnosed in March that year and she was gone less than 2 months later, May 10th, her birthday, around mothers day. I was 16 years old at the time. I had a very similar experience going into the hospital room saying my last good byes, but at least I had my mom a little longer then those poor kids. I hope they are able to remember her, like I remember my mom.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3667270]Thank you everyone, I lost my mother just over 6 years ago to ovarian cancer, she was diagnosed in March that year and she was gone less than 2 months later, May 10th, her birthday, around mothers day. I was 16 years old at the time. I had a very similar experience going into the hospital room saying my last good byes, but at least I had my mom a little longer then those poor kids. I hope they are able to remember her, like I remember my mom.[/QUOTE]

Siochan leat, Tyler.

Heartbreaking.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3667270]Thank you everyone, I lost my mother just over 6 years ago to ovarian cancer, she was diagnosed in March that year and she was gone less than 2 months later, May 10th, her birthday, around mothers day. I was 16 years old at the time. I had a very similar experience going into the hospital room saying my last good byes, but at least I had my mom a little longer then those poor kids. I hope they are able to remember her, like I remember my mom.[/QUOTE]

That's rough, man. I can't imagine how hard that goodbye must have been.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What a rough story to read.A Manager at my job was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in January.I just found out today they sent him home from the hospital,with hospus coming to make him comfortable.That quick it's killing him.He will leave behind 2 small children

We're getting better at it.

**** cancer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3666601]This really hits home for me...

[url]http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080110dnentleah.2c4fc4b.html[/url][/QUOTE]

I was there, back in 1985, I was 12, my mother 35, I was the oldest of 4, my youngest sister was 5. I remember the weeks before the end very well, this story hits home. My mother passed on a Easter.Sunday. Cancer is an awful disease.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

What a rough story to read.A Manager at my job was diagnosed with stage 4 [B]lung cancer in January.I just found out today they sent him home from the hospital,with hospus coming to make him comfortable.[/B]That quick it's killing him.He will leave behind 2 small children

When lung cancer took my Dad in 1997, it was the speed with which it happened that shocked us all. Other than the time he initially spent in the hospital to have cancerous lung tissue removed (to no avail, as it turned out), he never spent another day there, and died at home. I distinctly remember driving out to my parent's home to see him, just 5 days after the last visit, and being floored by the change from a man who had lost some weight to a virtual skeleton. It took all my willpower to keep from bursting out crying in front of him. He was dying in front of my eyes and there wasn't a damned thing anyone could do about it. He was 68.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

[url]http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/080110dnentleah.2c4fc4b.html[/url][/QUOTE]

This article really puts things in perspective and really makes you think what really is important in life. We get so caught up in the daily hustle/bustle and overlook the the precious time that we have...We really have to take a step back and enjoy what we have rather than focusing on what we do not..

Very touching story and to those on this forum with similiar stories, my condolences go out to you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    jeez tough read. Need to go plan a family vacation ASAP
    Last edited by Jman21; 08-04-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been fortunate enough not to lose a family member to cancer. I always thought losing a friend and a dog was horrible but those do not compare to losing someone in the family. My sincere condolences.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3667344]I was there, back in 1985, I was 12, my mother 35, I was the oldest of 4, my youngest sister was 5. I remember the weeks before the end very well, this story hits home. My mother passed on a Easter.Sunday. Cancer is an awful disease.[/QUOTE]

That's something a child should never go through. My heart goes out to you both.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3667231]Quick guess. Was he an ex-smoker?[/QUOTE]

I think so.In his younger days from what I heard.He was South African so maybe they were not filtered. over there.I don't know..I think he's in his 40's...

Just amazing how fast that disease eats away at people

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the article it says that her youngest was born in 2008 so he would be 2 years old. My wife lost both of her parents (not to cancer) when she was two and has absolutely no memory of them. I know it really bothers her and she wishes that she had even the slightest memory of them.

She was the youngest of 7 kids and their memories of their parents get greater with each older child.
    Last edited by crossfire; 08-04-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... What a story. I think the saddest part is how the daughter is teller her how she remembers all of photos.

Reminds me of a job I was doing some years back, either in North Jersey or upstate NY.
    We were installing a really nice Home Theater system for an A/V Enthusiast...
    The guy came in and ordered some high end gear and was apparently very excited about it. He knew his stuff too! The salesman had told us all about the guy, and there was some kind of back order or something to do with some of the gear... Maybe it wasn't released yet. At some point, VERY shortly after this he was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer. I think it was something like he wasn't feeling well and went to the doctor and it was just bad news. It was a REALLY fast aggressive form. So we found out he maybe had 2 months or something. Obviously that particular job took priority over everything else... But I remember going over there a couple times and doing as much work as we could, but we were still waiting on gear, so we set up some temporary system for them. It was really tough working there because you knew all this guy wanted was to see this system he was so excited about, and he was literally dying right there across the hall, and we could HEAR it... It was a really tough job. But he was really excited we were there getting this thing set up for him and he really wanted to hang out and check out the work, but it took so much out of him just to walk across the room to see the progress... I think I remember his daughter, or wife saying he couldn't move for 2 days after he got out of bed to come see how we were doing. He was there at the house with nurses, hooked up to machines and stuff... It was crazy. We really hustled on that one and put in a lot of extra time, and made sure it was right.
    Unfortunately I don't think he ever got to see the finished product.
    He passed like a day or 2 after we finished.
    It was very sad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know of a guy in his 30's who made countless tapes for his kids after being diagnosed with ALS. He got the inspiration from an old Michael Keaton movie. He taped himself dancing with his then 4 year old daughter to 'Daddy's Little Girl" and said that was for her wedding. He literally made tapes for every stage of their childhood with advice and jokes. It was his way of ensuring his kids would never forget the sound of his voice or what he believed in...powerful stuff.

I know a few cops who have made similar tapes for their young children just in case something happens to them on the job. No one should be remembered by faded pictures...

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, very sobering and awfully tragic. I lost my mom 19 years ago to cancer. I still think of her a lot.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but for those of you who have never heard of Randy Pausch, you might want to check out this website....

[url]http://www.thelastlecture.com/[/url]

Same type of situation, but Randy had a big thirst for life and tried to comfort everyone that's left behind. There's a plaque dedicated to him by the Mad Hatter Tea Cup ride at the Magic Kingdom in Orlando.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;3669587]I know of a guy in his 30's who made countless tapes for his kids after being diagnosed with ALS. He got the inspiration from an old Michael Keaton movie. He taped himself dancing with his then 4 year old daughter to 'Daddy's Little Girl" and said that was for her wedding. He literally made tapes for every stage of their childhood with advice and jokes. It was his way of ensuring his kids would never forget the sound of his voice or what he believed in...powerful stuff.

I know a few cops who have made similar tapes for their young children just in case something happens to them on the job. No one should be remembered by faded pictures...[/QUOTE]

I've seen that movie, I think Nicole Kidman is in it too. A guy with a pregnant wife is diagnosed with terminal cancer so her videotapes his whole life for his unborn son. Pretty sad flick.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, really heartbreaking story. I'm at work fighting back tears. I really hope we are making progress in finding a cure. Unfortunately, I don't think we ever will. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think there is so much money in treating this horrible disease that even if there is a cure, it will be kept from public knowledge. Maybe that's just the conspiracy theorist in me. I lost an aunt who was like a mother to breast cancer in '96 and my family still hasn't fully recovered from it. I pray just about everyday for a cure to be found/exposed, I just don't think it will happen in my lifetime. I really hope I'm wrong.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story.

I hope it inspires some of you to change your own miserable lives.
    Last edited by Roger Vick; 08-07-2010 at 03:58 PM.