Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I've had two lessons with the guitar player here; in Alameda CA.

(4:38)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_TCj_evNIs
    curious, do you play with your thumb hidden behind the neck like this guy?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    curious, do you play with your thumb hidden behind the neck like this guy?
    Wary of a set-up , I hasistatingly say "Yes...but for leads, melodies only. Power chords and the Hendrix style (thumb catches the bass note on 6th or 5th, while grabbing the chords w/o a 1st finger barre) require that my spidey thumb is up over the rim.

Hall Of Fame
    Wary of a set-up , I hasistatingly say "Yes...but for leads, melodies only. Power chords and the Hendrix style (thumb catches the bass note on 6th or 5th, while grabbing the chords w/o a 1st finger barre) require that my spidey thumb is up over the rim.
    I need to play like this, thumb behind the neck, would put my fingers in the right position for a short straight punch with the fingertips. i got too much finger pad going cause my thumbs too high.

Bewildered Beast
    I need to play like this, thumb behind the neck, would put my fingers in the right position for a short straight punch with the fingertips. i got too much finger pad going cause my thumbs too high.
    lol jizzhead thread tag

Serious question: are you stretching for notes? That will keep your thumb where it belongs. If you are SRV bending in one position, that will CEMENT your thumb up high.

Work two positions - like A minor and C Major. They are related harmonically in the C major scale...you can play these notes over a D7 blues chord.

(play A minor pentatonic over D7, start with the A note)

Bewildered Beast
    Tim don't sweat your thumb placement. No matter what I do, my thumb tip is always peeking out above the 6th string. I'm not sure why this is troubling tho

Tim don't sweat your thumb placement. No matter what I do, my thumb tip is always peeking out above the 6th string. I'm not sure why this is troubling tho
    For some reason (too much Time Machine Banging, perhaps), I forgot to chime in on this last week. Tim, for certain progressions, you will need your thumb to not only grab bass notes (as WCO mentioned, the Hendrix style) but, more importantly (at least for me), muting out the low E-string and avoiding dissonance as you venture up/down the fretboard.

I had a few lessons with one of the masters of the instrument, Arlen Roth. Check out how he explains the use of the thumb when playing a C7 shuffle.
    If you haven't seen them, I would encourage you to watch the instruction videos he did for Gibson. Think most of them are on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbvCCWrWeo

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check Walker's "backing band". Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFqK6PBq-hA
    I'm pretty confident Timmy yearns to play like that.

I'm pretty confident Timmy yearns to play like that.
    That band sets such an easy groove to play over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Paul Chambers is a beast.

His life was way too short....

When I listen to that...I hear NOWS the TIME, Charlie Parker.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

+1

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

So crisp and sharp, you could cut bread with this music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP8Z_bS54HM&feature=fvsr

Sadly, just read that Dave Brubeck died. He was 91. RIP to one of the great masters.

Dave Brubeck, a jazz musician who attained pop-star acclaim with recordings such as "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk," died Wednesday morning at Norwalk Hospital, in Norwalk, Conn., said his longtime manager-producer-conductor Russell Gloyd.

Brubeck was one day short of his 92nd birthday. He died of heart failure, en route to "a regular treatment with his cardiologist,” said Gloyd.

Throughout his career, Brubeck defied conventions long imposed on jazz musicians. The tricky meters he played in “Take Five” and other works transcended standard conceptions of swing rhythm.

The extended choral/symphonic works he penned and performed around the world took him well outside the accepted boundaries of jazz. And the concerts he brought to colleges across the country in the 1950s shattered the then-long-held notion that jazz had no place in academia.

As a pianist, he applied the classical influences of his teacher, the French master Darius Milhaud, to jazz, playing with an elegance of tone and phrase that supposedly were the antithesis of the American sound.

As a humanist, he was at the forefront of integration, playing black jazz clubs throughout the deep South in the ’50s, a point of pride for him.

"For as long as I’ve been playing jazz, people have been trying to pigeonhole me,” he once told the Tribune.

"Frankly, labels bore me."

He is survived by his wife, Iola; four sons and a daughter; grandsons and a great granddaughter.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...7126256.column

Just heard the news. Been listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3JcuEA0IrM

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    What a phenomenal choice, southside. If you haven't already, go to the link in the obit I quoted above. There is a great remembrance piece (audio) of Brubeck by Ramsey Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What a phenomenal choice, southside. If you haven't already, go to the link in the obit I quoted above. There is a great remembrance piece (audio) of Brubeck by Ramsey Lewis.
    Thanks. I did check out Ramsey's video. He had some nice words for Dave no doubt.

Can't believe that I didn't share this with my fellow jazzmen.

This guy is fcking extraordinary. I found him while I was searching for some Youtube jazz piano tutorials. He used to play with Ray Charles, among others. Might be one of the great jazz pianists on the planet. His command is sick. It's imperative that you listen to the whole song so you can follow along with the crescendo as it builds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1KPb8v6SvA
    Last edited by southside; 12-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.