Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not sure I get the joke but OK, yes.

I was never, nor did I ever threaten to be the best bass player around. in college, there were 2 guys that were in some opinions better than me.

BUT..I firmly firmly believe, had I chosen to stay at it, I would be a working professional. Good money? probably not but I believe I would be a solid session player. I would show up, work harder than anyone and do my job. I like to believe that anyway.
    Not a joke; just a way of saying "good listener". It's a solid compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    This is great (except for Larry being buried in the mix like a dead man); this fits the hard bop school. Something new.

Richard Davis is one of the most-recorded jazz bassists going, according to WIKI.

Having worn out Larry's Hot Licks (and homespun) tapes....he is the one that calls the Partner Group "Kissing Cousins"; Larry uses the chord/scale and the half-whole diminished to navigate changes.
    Wish I had done it intentionally when posting that number. Wait, I did.

Agree that Coryell is mired in the mix. It's just that I love that tune.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Thank you! Love that. I have been in a more mellow mood lately.
    I literall y had this song played at my daughters wedding during the sit down.
    Eddie Jefferson is awesome.

Moodys mood for love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as-dtuwA1kc

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Thank you! Love that. I have been in a more mellow mood lately.
    I literall y had this song played at my daughters wedding during the sit down.
    Eddie Jefferson is awesome.

Moodys mood for love.
    Eddie Jefferson: What a ffriggin' ace.

Ever heard of Cyrus Chestnut? I saw him close to 10 years ago at a Jazz Fest. I just stumbled across this one. I like the melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXj5m_g0klA

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Ever heard of Cyrus Chestnut? I saw him close to 10 years ago at a Jazz Fest. I just stumbled across this one. I like the melody.
    Beautiful. I will play this for my wife over the weekend. She'll love it.

Thanks, Jazz-Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Beautiful. I will play this for my wife over the weekend. She'll love it.

Thanks, Jazz-Bro.
    It's quite a haunting melody, no?

Glad to impart something to you since you're the one always introducing me to great works.

Jets Insider VIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXj5m_g0klA
    Cyrus gets played on Sirius Be Bop channel quite a bit. he's awesome.

this tune reminds me of Dolphin Dance. And/or Stolen Moments
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    I found I can create a playlist in YouTube, so I am saving (savoring) these.

A trip to Mexico in early 2001 uncovered this; Cachaito is obviously in love with Mingus. "The Heartbeat of the Buena Vista Social Club". For me and the mrs, This CD/album marks a time when our sons moved into High school and we had more time alone on weekends. Romance.

For southpark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHrO...e=results_main

I'm not gonna pretend to know jazz, but I just came back from a 5 day trip to New Orleans, and absolutely loved the Brassaholics live.

Now I'm sure the purists in here will tell me that they're not even jazz and are some modern day grimey wannabe jazz-rock group or whatever, and that's fine. That's prolly how I am to a lot of people about other things. But I loved these guys and can't find much from them or anyone like them anywhere else. So, please help!

Anyone have anything similar to them?

Jets Insider VIP
    I found I can create a playlist in YouTube, so I am saving (savoring) these.

A trip to Mexico in early 2001 uncovered this; Cachaito is obviously in love with Mingus. "The Heartbeat of the Buena Vista Social Club". For me and the mrs, This CD/album marks a time when our sons moved into High school and we had more time alone on weekends. Romance.

For southpark!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHrO...e=results_main
    I so wish I still had my stringbass.

I owned a bass that I bought at Kolstein music in Baldwin, the great violin maker. I donated it to my university about 10 years ago.

Thanks WCO. Really apreciate it.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-03-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I'm not gonna pretend to know jazz, but I just came back from a 5 day trip to New Orleans, and absolutely loved the Brassaholics live.

Now I'm sure the purists in here will tell me that they're not even jazz and are some modern day grimey wannabe jazz-rock group or whatever, and that's fine. That's prolly how I am to a lot of people about other things. But I loved these guys and can't find much from them or anyone like them anywhere else. So, please help!

Get bitten by the bug.

Buy Miles Davis Kinda Blue or John Coltrane BlueTrain. That'll get you started.

It's an addiction that is close to great sex.

I just noticed that some previous entries are now lost because of Youtube removing videos.

It might be a good idea from here on out to post not only the link to the video but also the artist and song title so when the videos get taken down from Youtube the song will still be cataloged.

Good idea?

I just noticed that some previous entries are now lost because of Youtube removing videos.

It might be a good idea from here on out to post not only the link to the video but also the artist and song title so when the videos get taken down from Youtube the song will still be cataloged.

Good idea?
    Why not. Thanks for the heads up.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

Oh yeah I know what you want; you want the modern "gutbucket" stylings of Lester Bowie and Henry Threadgill. Check out the AACM out of Chicago. Don Cherry is worth a listen; these unheralded giants joined up with "downtown manahattan experimenters" of the mid eighties. Jamalladeen Tacuma...

Anyway, I went to Sweet Basil and the Blue Note A LOT in the early 80's. I saw Threadgill's group there - Fred Hopkins on bass, deidre murray on cello, Threadgill on sax, motha-f***er Ray Anderson on trombone, the drummer was solid - they played "out" they played funk, they played New Orleans gutbucket that sounded like those street funeral dirges - they took it where incredibly gifted musicians would go if you gave them a big bucket of Popeyes and a tub of gin. There was no place to dance because the musicians were dancing in the aisles; it was a N'awlins party right there on 6th Ave. I will NEVER forget that one.

Bewildered Beast

Good idea?
    Of course! 5 stars.

Oh yeah I know what you want; you want the modern "gutbucket" stylings of Lester Bowie and Henry Threadgill. Check out the AACM out of Chicago. Don Cherry is worth a listen; these unheralded giants joined up with "downtown manahattan experimenters" of the mid eighties. Jamalladeen Tacuma...

Anyway, I went to Sweet Basil and the Blue Note A LOT in the early 80's. I saw Threadgill's group there - Fred Hopkins on bass, deidre murray on cello, Threadgill on sax, motha-f***er Ray Anderson on trombone, the drummer was solid - they played "out" they played funk, they played New Orleans gutbucket that sounded like those street funeral dirges - they took it where incredibly gifted musicians would go if you gave them a big bucket of Popeyes and a tub of gin. There was no place to dance because the musicians were dancing in the aisles; it was a N'awlins party right there on 6th Ave. I will NEVER forget that one.
    I saw some incredible show back in the 80s or early 90s with Lester Bowie at Sweet Basil's (I think). What an awesome gig.

This isn't it. But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Lf4JzkiSY