Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have mentioned this one in the past.

This song slays the ladies every time, it should be illegal. Fireplace and some wine or brandy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfLkB8wzbY

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    you strike me as the kind of guy who reads the instructions and sorts the screws before building the book case
    You're offering to introduce me to your family Xmas morning? You romantic fool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I may have mentioned this one in the past.

This song slays the ladies every time, it should be illegal. Fireplace and some wine or brandy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfLkB8wzbY
    I sound like a broken record in this thread but I have an unbelievable SACD copy of this album that I play all the time. I never thought I would think mono sounded good but it sounds like 'Trane is in the room with you. Such a f*cking amazing album.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to this right now, and thought I should post it. Only includes first 10 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQyuualA6Y

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    you guys ever been to Smalls?? It's a jazz club on West 10th in Manhattan..usedto go there in my single days. It was BYOB, & would really get goin after 4am..we'd listen to old dudes from Harlem jammin next to young kids from the various music schools in the city..very cool

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday morning without the prospect of a Jet game music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PKzz81m5c

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had at least 3 albums of these 2 guys playing as a duet. This may be the best piece on the net of them. BOTH GREAT players but as a duet, uncanny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dxch...eature=related

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I really don't know crap about Jazz at all...so I went to my local library scouring the CD racks in search of something I might like.

So I picked up the Brubeck Brothers 'Intuition' and I can't stop listening to it. Based off of that, what other recommendations can you guys make?

Thanks

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Ok, so I really don't know crap about Jazz at all...so I went to my local library scouring the CD racks in search of something I might like.

So I picked up the Brubeck Brothers 'Intuition' and I can't stop listening to it. Based off of that, what other recommendations can you guys make?

Thanks
    You might like Stan Kenton. Flip through a few tunes on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdFikUS1T4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-suH...eature=related

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Wow, never heard of this before. Good review from Allmusic.com:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/intuition-r856135

The third album from the Brubeck Brothers Quartet, Intuition is a sophisticated, engaging and stylish affair that showcases the group's low key, but energetic group interplay. Featuring the brother duo of bassist/trombonist/pianist Chris Brubeck and drummer Dan Brubeck -- both sons of famous jazz pianist Dave Brubeck -- the group also showcases guitarist Mike DeMicco, pianist Taylor Eigsti and organist Pete Levin. This is superbly executed post-bop jazz that also makes room for some funk, second-line and crossover-pop elements.

As a jazz newbie, I highly suggest using www.Allmusic.com as a tool. Find some jazz you like, look it up on that site, take note of the style of jazz (bop/bebop, post-bop, modal, etc.) and then start reading reviews and clicking around to the links for various other artists within the reviews. I found this was the simplest and easiest way for me to navigate the overwhelming varieties of jazz and it's wealth of releases. It was particularly helpful even "within" an artist like Miles Davis. There are a ton of releases from him and I was able to mitigate the purchase of any albums that were not in line with what I liked. It also wouldn't hurt to review the following for a list of the styles as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz#1940s_and_1950s

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff Rage- I'll have to admit that I really don't "know" crap about music regarding styles and categories and stuff. I dont even know what half the stuff I listen to fits into what category etc.

Other than heavy metal, but thats pretty easy to figure out.
    During my 20s I really got into a lot of classic rock, mainly the Dead and Steely Dan. I think those two bands are truly responsible for me really branching out into other areas of music.

As much as I love SD - I wouldn't even know what category of music they fit into....unless I look it up on Wikipedia LOL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff Rage- I'll have to admit that I really don't "know" crap about music regarding styles and categories and stuff. I dont even know what half the stuff I listen to fits into what category etc.

Other than heavy metal, but thats pretty easy to figure out.
    During my 20s I really got into a lot of classic rock, mainly the Dead and Steely Dan. I think those two bands are truly responsible for me really branching out into other areas of music.

As much as I love SD - I wouldn't even know what category of music they fit into....unless I look it up on Wikipedia LOL.
    That's a good thing, Fish. I feel that too often musical styles are compartmentalized into certain genres for mass consumption. If you like this, then you might like that...the decision's already made for you and you don't truly discover on your own what you like by listening to a wide variety. It's easy for people and in this fast-paced world, the average person doesn't spend much time or energy on musical enlightenment. In the end though, it's all music.

Absolutely, listening to those bands has changed your taste, kinda like how we hated broccoli as kid but now like it. You ears have matured so to speak. I attribute some of my branching out into other styles and sounds to the Dave Matthews Band. Yeah, some people trash them and that's fine but one of the things I loved most is the use of the sax and violin as lead/improvisational instruments as well as blending them together to build somewhat orchestral parts within a song. When I first heard them (can remember the precise live song and date of the show), it sounded like nothing else I've ever heard before. Otherworldy in fact. Once I started listening to them and heard other sounds and textures, I branched out into the jam-band scene and that stuff, along with DMB, led me towards jazz and that was all she wrote.
    Last edited by RageATL; 02-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    That's a good thing, Fish. I feel that too often musical styles are compartmentalized into certain genres for mass consumption. If you like this, then you might like that...the decision's already made for you and you don't truly discover on your own what you like by listening to a wide variety. Ultimately, it's all music.

Absolutely, listening to those bands has changed your taste, kinda like how we hated broccoli as kid but now like it. You ears are maturing so to speak. I attribute some of my branching out into other styles and sounds to the Dave Matthews Band. Yeah, some people trash them and that's fine but one of the things I loved most is the use of the sax and violin as lead instruments as well as together to build somewhat orchestral parts within a song. When I first heard them (can remember the precise live song and date of the show), it sounded like nothing else I've ever heard before. Once I started listening to them and heard other sounds, I branched out into the jam-band scene and that stuff, along with DMB led me towards jazz and that was all she wrote.
    I spend a lot of time at the library, for a couple of reason a)its free, b)they have tons of movies to rent, and mostly because they have tons of CDs you can borrow. Which is amazing to me considering what my memories of a library was like when I was a kid <insert joke about scrolls & stone tablets here>.

So I figured I had nothing to lose by picking up a random CD, ripping it, then giving it a listen on the ipod. I would look for artists bands that I had 'heard of' but didn't know. So for instance I had heard of Dave Brubeck before, Miles Davis, and a litany of other people. The great thing is they don't limit you on how much you can borrow. I have walked out of there numberous times with an entire shopping basket filled to the top with CDs. And within 2 days Id bring them all back and then do it all over again.

Listening to new stuff has just been amazing - and if it wasnt for getting an Ipod in the first place a few years ago Id still be stuck with the same old crap.

PS - The one bad thing about browsing the CDs is the sheer insane amout of Bruce Springsteen CDs - I guess thats what happens living in NJ. Oh and Bon Jovi too...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jazz, pfft. They just make it up as they go along.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Jazz, pfft. They just make it up as they go along.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spend a lot of time at the library, for a couple of reason a)its free, b)they have tons of movies to rent, and mostly because they have tons of CDs you can borrow. Which is amazing to me considering what my memories of a library was like when I was a kid <insert joke about scrolls & stone tablets here>.

So I figured I had nothing to lose by picking up a random CD, ripping it, then giving it a listen on the ipod. I would look for artists bands that I had 'heard of' but didn't know. So for instance I had heard of Dave Brubeck before, Miles Davis, and a litany of other people. The great thing is they don't limit you on how much you can borrow. I have walked out of there numberous times with an entire shopping basket filled to the top with CDs. And within 2 days Id bring them all back and then do it all over again.

Listening to new stuff has just been amazing - and if it wasnt for getting an Ipod in the first place a few years ago Id still be stuck with the same old crap.

PS - The one bad thing about browsing the CDs is the sheer insane amout of Bruce Springsteen CDs - I guess thats what happens living in NJ. Oh and Bon Jovi too...
    Good stuff, you're being exposed to great music and saving money. Jazz is an interesting and rewarding rabbit hole to explore, enjoy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the strongest emotional pieces of music from Thelonious Monk I've ever heard. It's from Thelonious Himself, great album but at the end John Coltrane sits in on the session.... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmcpx...eature=related

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    One of the strongest emotional pieces of music from Thelonious Monk I've ever heard. It's from Thelonious Himself, great album but at the end John Coltrane sits in on the session.... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmcpx...eature=related
    His fragmented/disjointed way of playing took some getting used to at first but now I love it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    His fragmented/disjointed way of playing took some getting used to at first but now I love it.
    One of the most intriguing things about Monk was his impeccable timing. There's some interesting stories written about how he'd just sit in a studio and play for hours to the same beat, never missing. Monk is my favorite jazz pianist and pretty much my favorite jazz artist in general. The fact that he created a sound and style of play that is still unrivaled and completely identifiable as "his sound" is extremely impressive.

Glad you appreciate the Monk!