Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 468

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Start with Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" (in the category of "cool jazz"). If you don't dig the ever-loving sh*t out of it and feel like you're the coolest motherf*cker in the world while you're listening to it, jump out the window cuz you're hopeless.


    Kidding of course, but it's DAMN good.
    Love Miles...his tone is sweet. Just bought my 4th or 5th CD. I love his version of Someday my prince will come and as a Bass player in college, we played "So What" with the neat bass intro.

    Also, from a bass perspective was Dizzy's "A Night in Tunisia". Fantastic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdpIaEOETo

  2. #62
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,710
    I was just daydreaming about a night in Sh'Niqua.

    Best temp ever.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Love Miles...his tone is sweet. Just bought my 4th or 5th CD. I love his version of Someday my prince will come and as a Bass player in college, we played "So What" with the neat bass intro.

    Also, from a bass perspective was Dizzy's "A Night in Tunisia". Fantastic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4TbrgIdm0E

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXdpIaEOETo
    I love Miles as well, but I really like the early to middle stuff (pre-'68). I probably have about 14 or so albums now, but I got rid of the WAY out there stuff like "B*tches Brew" and "In a Silent Way" despite trying really hard to like it. I swear, BB made me feel like i was coked up in a aural traffic jam.

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    I love Miles as well, but I really like the early to middle stuff (pre-'68). I probably have about 14 or so albums now, but I got rid of the WAY out there stuff like "B*tches Brew" and "In a Silent Way" despite trying really hard to like it. I swear, BB made me feel like i was coked up in a aural traffic jam.
    Yeah...Miles was an "Angry Guy" and much of that came out later in life. I agree,,pre 68, arguably pre 64 is his best stuff.

  5. #65
    Charles Lloyd, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Les Baxter, and some of James Spaulding's are my faves. Also Esquivel. Great for work when you need to concentrate.

    The hyper-brassy stuff serves no purpose for me. Drives me nuts, in fact.

    Charles Lloyd's "The Water is Wide" is one of the best jazz cds ever made.

    Just my opinion. A must-have for any serious jazz collection.

    Movie soundtracks are awesome for work too.

    That deserves its own thread.

  6. #66
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by innerjet View Post
    Charles Lloyd, Dexter Gordon, Stan Getz, Les Baxter, and some of James Spaulding's are my faves. Also Esquivel. Great for work when you need to concentrate.

    The hyper-brassy stuff serves no purpose for me. Drives me nuts, in fact.

    Charles Lloyd's "The Water is Wide" is one of the best jazz cds ever made.

    Just my opinion. A must-have for any serious jazz collection.

    Movie soundtracks are awesome for work too.

    That deserves its own thread.
    Have you ever listened to any work Dexter Gordon did with Eddie Jefferson?

  7. #67

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Have you ever listened to any work Dexter Gordon did with Eddie Jefferson?
    Not sure. I'd have to check the liner notes. I only have a few Dexter compilations. I like all of it.

    Do you recommend the EJ stuff in particular?

    I prefer slow loungy sax pieces the most. The kind that sad bums play on the street in the pouring rain.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by innerjet View Post
    Not sure. I'd have to check the liner notes. I only have a few Dexter compilations. I like all of it.

    Do you recommend the EJ stuff in particular?

    I prefer slow loungy sax pieces the most. The kind that sad bums play on the street in the pouring rain.

    No, it's NOT slow and loungy. Spend $2 and doenload "Dexter digs in" or "Diggin in". It's worth it!

    PM me your E mail and I can send you a Richie Cole/Eddie Jefferson piece you would like.

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,538
    Totally stumbled upon a reggae version of "Kind Of Blue"...WOW :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h2cBAC7rw4

    A Reggae Interpretation of Kind of Blue

    In the spring of 1981 a group of reggae studio musicians from Jamaica gathered in New York City under the direction of Jeremy Taylor, a music professor at NYU at that time. The result was this Reggae Interpretation of Kind of Blue. Though he was primarily regarded as a world-class Jazz musician and educator, Taylor had taken several trips to Jamaica to study reggae music with some of the best performers in the world. In his 1979 book, “A Space Between” Taylor wrote, “My first trip to Jamaica (May 1977) was the most eye-opening musical experience of my life. I met so many incredible players who had been brushed off by the snobby musical establishment at institutions such as the ones I was affiliated with. They showed more musicality, taste, and rhythmic comprehension than some of the most revered musicians in the states. I knew that I had to find a way to showcase their unparalleled talent in a different medium in order for some of my colleagues to fully understand and learn from it.” This statement served as the basic concept behind this album. Taylor took the most loved, well-known modern jazz album of all time and put it in the hands of reggae musicians. It was in this context that he felt his contemporaries would be able to fully understand what it was he saw in these players.

    Unfortunately, weeks after directing the sessions Taylor passed away in his Paris hotel room while on a speaking tour of Europe. A final mix of the album was never made and it was never released. Collectors have long spoken of this album and in the late 80s lo-fi cassette tapes of rough mixes circulated. No official release was ever issued until now.

    In early 2009, Secret Stash Records began working with the Taylor estate to finally release this album. After creating final mixes, dub versions of all the songs were also made by Secret Stash producers. Now for the first time ever, this highly sought-after album is available. This vinyl-only release is a must have for any record collector.
    Last edited by RageATL; 01-13-2011 at 10:23 PM.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Totally stumbled upon a reggae version of "Kind Of Blue"...WOW :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h2cBAC7rw4

    A Reggae Interpretation of Kind of Blue

    In the spring of 1981 a group of reggae studio musicians from Jamaica gathered in New York City under the direction of Jeremy Taylor, a music professor at NYU at that time. The result was this Reggae Interpretation of Kind of Blue. Though he was primarily regarded as a world-class Jazz musician and educator, Taylor had taken several trips to Jamaica to study reggae music with some of the best performers in the world. In his 1979 book, “A Space Between” Taylor wrote, “My first trip to Jamaica (May 1977) was the most eye-opening musical experience of my life. I met so many incredible players who had been brushed off by the snobby musical establishment at institutions such as the ones I was affiliated with. They showed more musicality, taste, and rhythmic comprehension than some of the most revered musicians in the states. I knew that I had to find a way to showcase their unparalleled talent in a different medium in order for some of my colleagues to fully understand and learn from it.” This statement served as the basic concept behind this album. Taylor took the most loved, well-known modern jazz album of all time and put it in the hands of reggae musicians. It was in this context that he felt his contemporaries would be able to fully understand what it was he saw in these players.

    Unfortunately, weeks after directing the sessions Taylor passed away in his Paris hotel room while on a speaking tour of Europe. A final mix of the album was never made and it was never released. Collectors have long spoken of this album and in the late 80s lo-fi cassette tapes of rough mixes circulated. No official release was ever issued until now.

    In early 2009, Secret Stash Records began working with the Taylor estate to finally release this album. After creating final mixes, dub versions of all the songs were also made by Secret Stash producers. Now for the first time ever, this highly sought-after album is available. This vinyl-only release is a must have for any record collector.
    Dude that's bad ass.

  12. #72

  13. #73
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,762
    Paul Chambers: Brilliant.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upGfzOlmfPE

  14. #74

  15. #75
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,710
    Quote Originally Posted by innerjet View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

  16. #76
    Great stuff all around. Chet Baker is one of my favorite Jazz artists. Found this little remix that i thought was interesting. Mixed a bit of his trumpet and singing with some downtempo electronica and video montage ending with a poem. Really cool stuff.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBMIqAtgogQ&feature=fvsr

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    No probs.

    Most of the examples I was hoping to find aren't on youtube.

  18. #78
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Dude that's bad ass.
    I thought so too. I DL'd the whole thing, so lemme know if you want a copy.

    I was skeptical at first cuz the original is the all-time best but I think they did it justice.

  19. #79
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,710
    Quote Originally Posted by innerjet View Post
    No probs.

    Most of the examples I was hoping to find aren't on youtube.
    Incredible tune; so good I had to save the Dexter song for this evening.

  20. #80
    Perfect Friday afternoon music. Anybody else dig McCoy?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvmJHprG_Fg

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us