Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 468

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

  1. #201
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I need after last Sunday's debacle.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGas...eature=related

  2. #202
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What I need after last Sunday's debacle.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGas...eature=related
    FKN magical bro! Man, I need to plan a visit to hang with you and get some knowledge. I love your taste in jazz.

  3. #203
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What I need after last Sunday's debacle.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGas...eature=related
    Borgo...

    PLEASE dont tie the GREAT Dexter Gordon to the NY JETS!

    Check out Dexter with Eddie Jefferson. The tune is basic "Rythem changes"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwKOkiECt0

  4. #204
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    FKN magical bro! Man, I need to plan a visit to hang with you and get some knowledge. I love your taste in jazz.
    Thanks, dude. But you give me too much credit. Picking ANYTHING from Dexter Gordon's catalog is a can't miss. I always loved that tune. Glad you liked it.

    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Borgo...

    PLEASE dont tie the GREAT Dexter Gordon to the NY JETS!

    Check out Dexter with Eddie Jefferson. The tune is basic "Rythem changes"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwKOkiECt0
    LOL! What heresy, right? I should have worded my post better. I meant that I needed Dexter's magic to uplift me after last Sunday and the season.

    Of course, I know his name. But I don't have any of Eddie Jefferson's vocal work in my collection. Anything you might recommend?

    BTW, that tune just swings. Has a very NY vibe to it for some reason.

  5. #205
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #206
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Wow...isn't that great. Nothing better than some Kool jazz, red wine and a nice looking woman.

    Eddie???? I got turned on to him by listening to Richie Cole back in 79. Keeper of the flame. I would say go to ITunes and listen a bit. Listen to him with Richie Cole do Harolds house of Jazz. An album to start would be Main Man.

  7. #207
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just read in my local paper that Houston Person is playing locally. Thought you all might enjoy this one, especially bass man southpark. Very soulful, well played Sax/bass duo. Ron Carter is a friggin' genius.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C122Na3Kziw

  8. #208
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

  9. #209
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

  10. #210
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Just read in my local paper that Houston Person is playing locally. Thought you all might enjoy this one, especially bass man southpark. Very soulful, well played Sax/bass duo. Ron Carter is a friggin' genius.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C122Na3Kziw
    Wow... just WOW!!!! Not familiar with Person but of course Ron Carter. He's a GIANT! They were playing one of my favorites, Clifford Browns "Joy Spring". I request it at any jazz venue I visit. That an "Speak Low".

    Also, LOVE a bass duet. Carter fills the bottom incredibly on that tune.

    I played in a duet with a guitar player from Berklee and loved it. Thought I'd share this...an inspiration from when we played in the early 80's. Sonny Rollins "Oleo".


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWUTvkR1Ko

  11. #211
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    JUST STOP IT PLEASE!!!! You are killing me..... I was gonna go home and NOW I am totally pumped up.

    Jaco died much too young.

  12. #212
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Wow... just WOW!!!! Not familiar with Person but of course Ron Carter. He's a GIANT! They were playing one of my favorites, Clifford Browns "Joy Spring". I request it at any jazz venue I visit. That an "Speak Low".

    Also, LOVE a bass duet. Carter fills the bottom incredibly on that tune.

    I played in a duet with a guitar player from Berklee and loved it. Thought I'd share this...an inspiration from when we played in the early 80's. Sonny Rollins "Oleo".


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUWUTvkR1Ko
    Absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing. That must have been a trip to play.

    The late Joe Pass is always mesmerizing. had the great pleasure of seeing him perform at Carnegie Hall back in the 80s.

    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    JUST STOP IT PLEASE!!!! You are killing me..... I was gonna go home and NOW I am totally pumped up.

    Jaco died much too young.
    Glad you liked the piece. Yeah, as a bassist, you'd have a greater appreciation for his gift.

  13. #213
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing. That must have been a trip to play.

    The late Joe Pass is always mesmerizing. had the great pleasure of seeing him perform at Carnegie Hall back in the 80s.



    Glad you liked the piece. Yeah, as a bassist, you'd have a greater appreciation for his gift.
    I remember fans like us vociferously demanding Jaco to "get the **** off the stage!" at places like 55 Grand way downtown. Jaco wore out his welcome with "cameo" appearances that were just excuses to grab the spotlight. He had emotional and mental difficulties; it was so sad.

  14. #214
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I remember fans like us vociferously demanding Jaco to "get the **** off the stage!" at places like 55 Grand way downtown. Jaco wore out his welcome with "cameo" appearances that were just excuses to grab the spotlight. He had emotional and mental difficulties; it was so sad.
    Wow, that sounds terrible. I never got to see him live.

  15. #215
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    astoria
    Posts
    5,323
    Post Thanks / Like

  16. #216
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Music for a snowy Saturday morning. I had a few lessons with Heines back in the 90s. What a gifted player. One of the mostly unsung masters of two hand tapping.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1J7h-vFUbA

  17. #217
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

  18. #218
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing. That must have been a trip to play.

    The late Joe Pass is always mesmerizing. had the great pleasure of seeing him perform at Carnegie Hall back in the 80s.


    I also so the great man at Carnegie...and many other places. He was a brilliant and uniquely gifted guitarist.

    Joe P was taken from us far too early and I truly miss him.

  19. #219
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Music for a snowy Saturday morning. I had a few lessons with Heines back in the 90s. What a gifted player. One of the mostly unsung masters of two hand tapping.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1J7h-vFUbA
    Awesome, really nice tone and melody. I am working my first Saturday (Tax Season) and saw your post. Are you familiar with Chuck Wayne? The guitar player I played with took from him and I believe he lived on Staten Island (early 80's). That said, I heard Brian Bromberg on Sirius Jazz. This piece is him in a basic rythem section but I bought one of his CD's. He 's awesome. Here he is with Lee Ritenour playing a classic.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU5ETB2YHCE

  20. #220
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Absolutely love this. Thanks for sharing. That must have been a trip to play.

    The late Joe Pass is always mesmerizing. had the great pleasure of seeing him perform at Carnegie Hall back in the 80s.


    I also so the great man at Carnegie...and many other places. He was a brilliant and uniquely gifted guitarist.

    Joe P was taken from us far too early and I truly miss him.
    People who are not aware of Joe pass have not heard the guitar. I owned several albums of him and Neils Henning Orsted peddersen and also simple Joe Pass "solo" albums. He was unreal. Loved when he played with Ray Brown. My favorite guitarist and bass player.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us