Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

Bewildered Beast
    This decade found Jack playing jazz 7 nights per week in duos, trios, quartets and with the 12 piece Chuck Howard Superband. A high point for Jack was playing duets on classical guitar in concert with noted tenor Luciano Pavarotti. Jack studied 1990-93 with George Van Eps working on solo guitar technique resulting in his first solo guitar CD, "Solo Burner". The CD immediately sold out and is in its third printing. From 1994 to 1998 he studied with Tal Farlow. Tal taped some of their duo sessions which Jack captured on the CD "Two Guys With Guitars." To facilitate studying with Tal in New Jersey while living in Wisconsin, Jack secured a teaching job at the National Guitar Workshop in nearby Connecticut. Many recordings followed as Jack continued composing music for new CDs. By the end of the decade, he had invented an instrument he named the "SuperAx" which enabled him to play bass and guitar simultaneously. His friend, guitarist Kirk Tatnall, built one also. With various drummers, they performed as a trio for 12 years at The Uptowner, producing two CDs of Jack's compositions: "Live @ The Uptowner" and "Ghost Ridge". Working part-time for music publishing giant, Hal Leonard, Jack wrote the book trilogy, "Jazz Guitar Favorites", "Jazz Guitar Standards" and "Jazz Guitar Classics."
    http://www.jackgrassel.com/cgi-bin/c...atstr=HOME:HDD

\
    Jazz Guitar Classics

by Jack Grassel

When Jack Grassel created this 3 book series, he went through the entire recorded output of the most influential jazz guitarists and chose the one solo that would best showcase each guitarist’s style. He then transcribed and recorded each solo himself with his band at two tempos for you to study and play along with.

The solo is on one channel only, so you can use the changes to jam on without the solo!

The CD/book pack includes note-for-note legendary jazz performances at two tempos by:

Kenny Burrell - Satin Doll

Jimmy Raney - Tangerine

Django Reinhardt - Honeysuckle Rose

George Benson - Billie’s Bounce

Tal Farlow - Stella By Starlight

Johnny Smith - Easy Living

Jack Grassel-guitar, Jim Sodke-piano, Tom McGirr-bass, Del Bennet-drums.

The notation, tab and logical fingerings make it easy to walk in the note-steps of the masters.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I bought the Red Norvo records; I have all of Tal's stuff on Verve and Prestige. I bought a book about his style and walked away confused.

Tal's playing has been transcribed in TAB and notation. THere is some great playing laid out in Jack Grassels great gift to humanity; the Jazz Guitar Classic transcriptions. THere is a clear chart of Tal playing "Stella By Starlight"; this guy Grassel did us all a huge favor. It took him 6 months to transcribe the solos and then re-record them with a modern piano-based rhythm section. I felt I owed this guy, I called him in Wisconsin to thank him. I asked about the Tal piece and he said (pro teacher; published author) he had no idea what Tal was doing. I CERTAINLY didn't know either; so I laughed along nervously. That was 15 years ago.

You guys have great ears and taste; thank you for all the contributions.
    LOL. I can only imagine the mindset to undertake a project like those transcriptions. You were right to call him; that guy is an ace.

You've probably seen it, but YouTube has one of Arlen Roth's "Hot Licks" series with Farlow. Tal is just so smooth on the fretboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkvLdivRHzs

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Awesome video man. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Awesome video man. Thanks for posting it.
    Glad to share it. Definitely check out all of Arlen Roth's classic "Hot Licks" videos. They are all certain to be on YouTube by now.

Here's one which is a big change of pace from Tal Farlow. Still, talent is talent. Instruction on his technique starts around 5:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiUzwyGGBpc

EDIT: Just saw the one with the late Danny Gatton. I love his playing style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdpw6Cs1vlY
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 03-20-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    http://www.jackgrassel.com/cgi-bin/c...atstr=HOME:HDD

\
    Jazz Guitar Classics

by Jack Grassel

When Jack Grassel created this 3 book series, he went through the entire recorded output of the most influential jazz guitarists and chose the one solo that would best showcase each guitarist’s style. He then transcribed and recorded each solo himself with his band at two tempos for you to study and play along with.

The solo is on one channel only, so you can use the changes to jam on without the solo!

The CD/book pack includes note-for-note legendary jazz performances at two tempos by:

Kenny Burrell - Satin Doll

Jimmy Raney - Tangerine

Django Reinhardt - Honeysuckle Rose

George Benson - Billie’s Bounce

Tal Farlow - Stella By Starlight

Johnny Smith - Easy Living

Jack Grassel-guitar, Jim Sodke-piano, Tom McGirr-bass, Del Bennet-drums.

The notation, tab and logical fingerings make it easy to walk in the note-steps of the masters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqSmUN_jMO4

Billies bounce was one of thefirst tunes I learned when I started playing jazz. A basic F blues, Charlie parker.

When I heard Benson do it I was really impressed.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqSmUN_jMO4

Billies bounce was one of thefirst tunes I learned when I started playing jazz. A basic F blues, Charlie parker.

When I heard Benson do it I was really impressed.
    I got a story about that particular tune as well; a teacher had me learn several phrases by ear. That was so hard; but now horn players look surprised when I hang with them on that riff.

I can tell you a lot about Benson's approach to this tune...

Jets Insider VIP
    I got a story about that particular tune as well; a teacher had me learn several phrases by ear. That was so hard; but now horn players look surprised when I hang with them on that riff.

I can tell you a lot about Benson's approach to this tune...
    Id like to hear it. I was introduced to it by Sonny Dallas (bass teacher). I LOVE to olay the melody line on bass and then go right into the walking bass part.

Bewildered Beast
    Id like to hear it. I was introduced to it by Sonny Dallas (bass teacher). I LOVE to olay the melody line on bass and then go right into the walking bass part.
    Like Pat Martino in the same era; Hard Bop; the changes were blues-based as is Billie's Bounce. So, the story is that Benson, a natural entertainer, came out of R&B to join the organ trio (not Jimmy Smith; Groove Holmes or ?) on a tour - about 45 days. The leader wanted George GONE after a few days....here's what saved Benson's Bacon:

There is a common shorthand for playing long lines like Pat Martino and Benson. There are 4 chords from the harmonized major scale that are "tonic" to each other: the ii; the IV, the V and the iiV (half diminished). They all contain certain triads that make them "kissing cousins". So the horn player in this band (Lee ) explained this to George, as they couldn't easily replace him. Benson, by tour's end, had it down and started making his name there; becoming a leader....back to R&B...where he stayed obviously. But Benson left guitarists a treasure trove of licks; very fluid stuff, from this association.

For those keeping score at home; F7 (home key in Bounce) gets C minor; it looks like this:

C min7 - Eflat Major7 - F7 - Am7b5 - All of this is from the Bb Major scale.

Using "tritone substitution" benson could play blues licks and switch off with lines the horn player gave him (all based on the above - with chromatic notes).

Easy!

Like Pat Martino in the same era; Hard Bop; the changes were blues-based as is Billie's Bounce. So, the story is that Benson, a natural entertainer, came out of R&B to join the organ trio (not Jimmy Smith; Groove Holmes or ?) on a tour - about 45 days. The leader wanted George GONE after a few days....here's what saved Benson's Bacon:

There is a common shorthand for playing long lines like Pat Martino and Benson. There are 4 chords from the harmonized major scale that are "tonic" to each other: the ii; the IV, the V and the iiV (half diminished). They all contain certain triads that make them "kissing cousins". So the horn player in this band (Lee ) explained this to George, as they couldn't easily replace him. Benson, by tour's end, had it down and started making his name there; becoming a leader....back to R&B...where he stayed obviously. But Benson left guitarists a treasure trove of licks; very fluid stuff, from this association.

For those keeping score at home; F7 (home key in Bounce) gets C minor; it looks like this:

Using "tritone substitution" benson could play blues licks and switch off with lines the horn player gave him (all based on the above - with chromatic notes).

Easy!
    Very cool story. Thanks for navigating those, often choppy, diatonically harmonic waters, WCO. Think I understand it, but doubt it. LOL.

Jets Insider VIP

Easy!
    Interesting. Long time ago but I remember being totally enamored with music theory. Why for example there is a relationship between EbM7 and C-7.

Seems like a life ago.

Bewildered Beast
    Interesting. Long time ago but I remember being totally enamored with music theory. Why for example there is a relationship between EbM7 and C-7.

Seems like a life ago.
    C is usually relative minor of EbMajor, but not here. Here, Cmin refers to the family of ii-minor/IV-Major/V-7th (major triad)/vii-half-diminished); the guy who explained it to me said it's called a Partner Group.

The Partner Group is really just inversions of the chord tones in the min7 chord; meaning you can use it for substitutions. It's like Ducolax for your playing; when your **** ain't right.

Jets Insider VIP
    C is usually relative minor of EbMajor, but not here. Here, Cmin refers to the family of ii-minor/IV-Major/V-7th (major triad)/vii-half-diminished); the guy who explained it to me said it's called a Partner Group.

The Partner Group is really just inversions of the chord tones in the min7 chord; meaning you can use it for substitutions. It's like Ducolax for your playing; when your **** ain't right.
    jeez I'm getting a headache.

Good stuff.....

Bewildered Beast
    Alrighty; just spiffed up the partnerline and recorded it for my friends that enjoy this thread.

I can make a PDF of the written material; PM me for a copy; no TAB though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1j3fzynZM

Alrighty; just spiffed up the partnerline and recorded it for my friends that enjoy this thread.

Can anybody instruct me how to transfer you tube videos to this site.I can copy and paste URL's, but not videos, as so many of you are doing.

Jets Insider VIP

Is that you playing?

If so..can you do freebird?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Can anybody instruct me how to transfer you tube videos to this site.I can copy and paste URL's, but not videos, as so many of you are doing.
    Just copy the URL from the youtube video and paste it in the message on JI.

Bewildered Beast
    Is that you playing?

If so..can you do freebird?
    GAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRgt...ature=youtu.be

The greatest guitar player who ever lived. His wife drowned him in the backyard pool, but police never came up with enough evidence to charge here.Was a heroin addict, could never get the monkey off his back
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-21-2013 at 10:57 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoZD...ature=youtu.be

.......Heres some of Lenny's solo work.Total improvisation, but so incredibly coherent and impressionistic, like a Van Gogh painting
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-21-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Coherence, you say!