Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 468

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

  1. #441
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Been playing guitar for 18 years. Blues, southern/classic rock. I can play some jazz but I'm not good enough to sit in and improvise via chord changes and such. I'm self taught, took an AP music theory class in high school and barely learned anything. Had a guitar teacher who was good when I was 18 but really I ran out of money for that.

    Been mostly focusing on singer songwriter stuff for the last 8-10 years. That's where the money is. There's always someone better than you that can session out and join a band on the road. I decided that I'd rather be the guy leading the band plus I like writing songs better than jamming on someone other guy's work.
    Im totally into the singer/songwriter thing. I am a "dues paying" member of the Nashville songriters assoc. Meaning I attend no meetings.

    Check out Jeff Black out of Nashville.

    Check out my great friend paul. he played a sing at my daughters wedding. GREAT lyricist. He and I play together a few times a year.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBECiTsSGpw
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-05-2013 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #442
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Miles is my all time favorite. I heard Marsalis on Sirius talking about a young Miles trying to play like Dizzy but "nobody" could play like Dizzy. So Miles invented a slower sweet tone that we now readily identify with Miles.

  3. #443
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    THis melody is all 4ths; composer is Wayne Shorter; pianist is McCoy.

    The 1966 Green Bay Packers of Jazz; gonna run right over you.
    What a great tune. Thanks.

    Love the Packers analogy.

  4. #444
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like

  5. #445
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like


    What about GG and Larry Young? Larry heard McCoy and brought some of that sound to his acid -style organ playing. Actually they could rename "Acid-style" to "Larry Young-style" and be 100% correct. Larry played on *****es Brew; played with Tony WIlliams in some 1st generation fusion.

    Check it out
    Grant Green - guitar
    Larry Young - organ
    Elvin Jones - drums

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yq...e=results_main

  6. #446
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post


    What about GG and Larry Young? Larry heard McCoy and brought some of that sound to his acid -style organ playing. Actually they could rename "Acid-style" to "Larry Young-style" and be 100% correct. Larry played on *****es Brew; played with Tony WIlliams in some 1st generation fusion.

    Check it out
    Grant Green - guitar
    Larry Young - organ
    Elvin Jones - drums

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5yq...e=results_main
    What a SOUND. So tight and distinctive.

    Thanks for posting this one, WCO. I owe you a drink.

  7. #447
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOVE IT......

  8. #448
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    LOVE IT......
    My wife stopped what she was doing to sit on my lap and enjoy this tune with me.

    BTW That is a long tune and he never stops sounding fresh. 5 stars...

  9. #449
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    My wife stopped what she was doing to sit on my lap and enjoy this tune with me.

    BTW That is a long tune and he never stops sounding fresh. 5 stars...
    5 stars????

    The record or lap dance?

    Always loved fast playing.....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjGdg31Wxg
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 04-07-2013 at 07:38 AM.

  10. #450
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What a SOUND. So tight and distinctive.

    Thanks for posting this one, WCO. I owe you a drink.
    Little known fact. Before Hendrix's death he started jam sessions with larry young. Unfortunately none of those jams where recorded.

  11. #451
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Little known fact. Before Hendrix's death he started jam sessions with larry young. Unfortunately none of those jams where recorded.
    You don't remember this? Whoa!



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_to_the_Universe


    Dave Holland. Hendrix was going to make that leap to jazz. He dropped like Eval Knieval.

    Personnel

    Jimi Hendrix lead and rhythm guitar all tracks, lead vocals on track 1 (wiped)
    Larry Lee rhythm guitar on track 4 (his guitar solo was removed)
    Jim McCarty lead & rhythm guitar on track 2
    Larry Young organ on track 3
    Billy Cox bass on tracks 1, 4 & 5
    Dave Holland bass on track 3
    Roland Robinson bass on track 2
    Mitch Mitchell drums on tracks 2 & 4
    Buddy Miles drums on tracks 1 & 3
    Rocky Isaacs drums on track 5
    Al Marks percussion on track 5
    Juma Sultan percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Gerrardo Velez percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Unknown tambourine on track 4 (not on the original recording)
    Devon Wilson backing vocals on track 1 (wiped)

  12. #452
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You don't remember this? Whoa!



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_to_the_Universe


    Dave Holland. Hendrix was going to make that leap to jazz. He dropped like Eval Knieval.

    Personnel

    Jimi Hendrix lead and rhythm guitar all tracks, lead vocals on track 1 (wiped)
    Larry Lee rhythm guitar on track 4 (his guitar solo was removed)
    Jim McCarty lead & rhythm guitar on track 2
    Larry Young organ on track 3
    Billy Cox bass on tracks 1, 4 & 5
    Dave Holland bass on track 3
    Roland Robinson bass on track 2
    Mitch Mitchell drums on tracks 2 & 4
    Buddy Miles drums on tracks 1 & 3
    Rocky Isaacs drums on track 5
    Al Marks percussion on track 5
    Juma Sultan percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Gerrardo Velez percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Unknown tambourine on track 4 (not on the original recording)
    Devon Wilson backing vocals on track 1 (wiped)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i don't West Coast. I had no idea,about that album.Maybe because at the time of the release, i was a total jazz snob, and the release was only reported in rock circles, i don't know!!!!!!!!Amazing,i feel foolish. Have you heard it,and if so, how is it?Whats the quality of the recording,etc,etc.

  13. #453
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You don't remember this? Whoa!



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_to_the_Universe


    Dave Holland. Hendrix was going to make that leap to jazz. He dropped like Eval Knieval.

    Personnel

    Jimi Hendrix lead and rhythm guitar all tracks, lead vocals on track 1 (wiped)
    Larry Lee rhythm guitar on track 4 (his guitar solo was removed)
    Jim McCarty lead & rhythm guitar on track 2
    Larry Young organ on track 3
    Billy Cox bass on tracks 1, 4 & 5
    Dave Holland bass on track 3
    Roland Robinson bass on track 2
    Mitch Mitchell drums on tracks 2 & 4
    Buddy Miles drums on tracks 1 & 3
    Rocky Isaacs drums on track 5
    Al Marks percussion on track 5
    Juma Sultan percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Gerrardo Velez percussion on track 4 (mixed down)
    Unknown tambourine on track 4 (not on the original recording)
    Devon Wilson backing vocals on track 1 (wiped)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=collectible I love you West Coast.Thank You

  14. #454
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like

  15. #455
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Awesome.

    One of my favorite albums is Uncommon Ritual, which pairs Meyer with Bela Fleck.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5h9DxNF54

  16. #456
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What a SOUND. So tight and distinctive.

    Thanks for posting this one, WCO. I owe you a drink.
    This was my first Jazz album I ever bought... if my memory serves me correctly.

  17. #457
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since ches gave me this idea I figured I'd share it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOzcnxzQZSs

  18. #458
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    At 9:50 about he quotes a Nilsson song...one of those syrup-sweet 70's tunes.




    I love Joe Pass; Joe loved Wes. Harold Mayburn doing his own thing, righteously.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXvdU7f-q7I

  19. #459
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's just us in here, but everyone take a bow - the postings are ridiculous.

  20. #460
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Check out the master at 3:41....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGOB0NeudnA
    hey that's Stevie Ray Brown. Slickest guitaris...WHAT THATS A BASS

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us