Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ-HEAD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Ahhh...Masters.

I went to see Jim Hall and Ron Carter at the Village Vanguard; they were there off and on for about 10 years. Jim Hall is so humble...not sure what that has to do with his playing, but he seems to really care about getting it correct.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjiArdooBi4
    Last edited by GenoT; 03-22-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Adding comments on video

Ahhh...Masters.

I went to see Jim Hall and Ron Carter at the Village Vanguard; they were there off and on for about 10 years. Jim Hall is so humble...not sure what that has to do with his playing, but he seems to really care about getting it correct.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjiArdooBi4 One of the most underrated guitarists in history of rock. The most melodic of rockers

Bewildered Beast
    While GeNot gets his dance steps together, I want to share something with my jazz fiends.

If you have ever be mesmerized by jazz drummers, and you'd like to jam with them without getting lost (or worse; and it can get worse i been there), then you will benefit from this video. Danny G is a master; a NYC'er; went to The U when Pat Metheny was there...he's got the goods. He explains all that noodly-doodly stuff that causes me problems with staying in time. That's no longer a problem for me (okay not a BIG problem)...here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l1k_7iA0jE

While GeNot gets his dance steps together, I want to share something with my jazz fiends.

If you have ever be mesmerized by jazz drummers, and you'd like to jam with them without getting lost (or worse; and it can get worse i been there), then you will benefit from this video. Danny G is a master; a NYC'er; went to The U when Pat Metheny was there...he's got the goods. He explains all that noodly-doodly stuff that causes me problems with staying in time. That's no longer a problem for me (okay not a BIG problem)...here you go

Your a drummer, West coast, ah, that explains everything!

Gottlieb is an incredible drummer. If you didn't know it, you'd have sworn it was Buddy Rich playing. Buddy must have been a huge influence on him.

Thanks for posting that video, WCO.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Gottlieb is an incredible drummer. If you didn't know it, you'd have sworn it was Buddy Rich playing. Buddy must have been a huge influence on him.

Thanks for posting that video, WCO.
    You're welcome; unfortunately that's the final jam; they build up to that modern, half-modal half-standard tune (in the video above) after really going slowly and letting the participant get involved, step by step with a jazz blues. Seems like a one-of-a kind video.

I hate drummers who play in a way that an average player can get lost while you trade 8's with them.

I too have had that happen live too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I hate drummers who play in a way that an average player can get lost while you trade 8's with them.

I've played with some great drummers. The problem is when there playing with a guitarist and acoustic bassist, they can get to enthusiastic.Its like there playing with a horn section.Got to hand them the brushes, and valium.LOL

Friday afternoon, drinking Bordeaux music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZpwl73dBU

Friday afternoon, drinking Bordeaux music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZpwl73dBU
    The great pianist Harold Maybern approached me after a workshop when I was 18 and said.."Kid..you sounded like Oscar Pettiford". I was 18 or19 and never heard of Oscar Pettiford.

I was only playing upright a few years at that point and the positive reinforcement really helped me.

Funny thing but I woke up to a jazz station this morning and they played a piece by Paul Chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I've played with some great drummers. The problem is when there playing with a guitarist and acoustic bassist, they can get to enthusiastic.Its like there playing with a horn section.Got to hand them the brushes, and valium.LOL
    In my experience...they were simply trying to show off. I was schooled and trained that the rythem section should be supportive.
    We have all played with guys who thought a jazz solo was a free for all as opposed to a time to be expressive and melodic. I liken it to the guitar solo on BLUE SKY, Dicky Betts is playing a beautiful melody. Not overly technical but beautiful.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 03-22-2013 at 03:44 PM.

The great pianist Harold Maybern approached me after a workshop when I was 18 and said.."Kid..you sounded like Oscar Pettiford". I was 19 and never heard of Oscar Pettiford.

I was only playing upright a few years at that point and the positive reinforcement really helped me.

Funny thing but I woke up to a jazz station this morning and they played a piece by Paul Chambers.
    Dude, that is one of your life's high water marks. Are you frigging kidding me? Geez, you must have killed it at the workshop. Well done, muchacho.

The great pianist Harold Maybern approached me after a workshop when I was 18 and said.."Kid..you sounded like Oscar Pettiford". I was 18 or19 and never heard of Oscar Pettiford.

In my experience...they were simply trying to show off. I was schooled and trained that the rythem section should be supportive.
    We have all played with guys who thought a jazz solo was a free for all as opposed to a time to be expressive and melodic. I liken it to the guitar solo on BLUE SKY, Dicky Betts is playing a beautiful melody. Not overly technical but beautiful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZewG2DrNF0
    Favorite bassist in Jazz, Gary peacock, favorite piano trio in jazz. keith Jarrett, brilliant. I stopped playing with drummers in trios. Get a really good bassist and your good to go, and blow

Dude, that is one of your life's high water marks. Are you frigging kidding me? Geez, you must have killed it at the workshop. Well done, muchacho.
    Honestly..I think it was simple positive reinforcement to a kid struggling to play bee bop. But I am grateful to him. I am hooked.

I think I told you..I played with him at a club. I was in the crowd many years later, I went to say hello and he asked the bass player if I could play a blues tune. I did. It was a blast. I was in college at the time.

Note the young upstart on the video cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frrnL_1f_6I

Bewildered Beast

Glad I'm not alone; When they play over the bar line it's maddening. I told one guy that I needed a "pick-up to the pick-up!"; which got me tossed from rotation; never went back (drummer's band).

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Animal takes Valium?

Bewildered Beast
    Note the young upstart on the video cover.
    This is great (except for Larry being buried in the mix like a dead man); this fits the hard bop school. Something new.

Richard Davis is one of the most-recorded jazz bassists going, according to WIKI.

Having worn out Larry's Hot Licks (and homespun) tapes....he is the one that calls the Partner Group "Kissing Cousins"; Larry uses the chord/scale and the half-whole diminished to navigate changes.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-22-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    I bet he meant his "ears"; cpa says he's a supportive bassist, which means "two ears for every one note".

right southpark?

This is great (except for Larry being buried in the mix like a dead man); this fits the hard bop school. Something new.

Richard Davis is one of the most-recorded jazz bassists going, according to WIKI.

Having worn out Larry's Hot Licks (and homespun) tapes....he is the one that calls the Partner Group "Kissing Cousins"; Larry uses the chord/scale and the half-whole diminished to navigate changes.
    Richard Davis is a legend. I owned several pieces on vinyl with him. He is a GREAT bassist.

I bet he meant his "ears"; cpa says he's a supportive bassist, which means "two ears for every one note".

right southpark?
    Not sure I get the joke but OK, yes.

I was never, nor did I ever threaten to be the best bass player around. in college, there were 2 guys that were in some opinions better than me.

BUT..I firmly firmly believe, had I chosen to stay at it, I would be a working professional. Good money? probably not but I believe I would be a solid session player. I would show up, work harder than anyone and do my job. I like to believe that anyway.