Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 'random' game you've been to

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Best 'random' game you've been to

So, DWC's thread about the Rays comeback being "...one of the greatest games he's ever seen" made me think about great games that had no bearing on playoffs or anything like that.

I saw Jim Abbott pitch a no-hitter in 1993, which was cool because he was my favorite player as a child. But hands down, the most exciting baseball game that was only exciting because of the game (as in, not playoff related, not taking over 1st place, etc) was a Memorial Day game in 1991

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99105270.shtml

It was Memorial Day and I was with a friend, who was a Red Sox fan, and his family. The Yankees were down 5-0, scrapped a few runs, and then Mel Hall hit a 3-run HR in the bottom of the 9th to win 6-5. This was right in the middle of the Yankee Shameful years, but that was as exciting a random game as I've ever been to. I seem to remember Mel Hall taking about 2 minutes to get around the basepaths.

The Rays lost, so that doesn't matter, but do other people have great game memories from when their team stunk (Yankees, Mets, or whomever). I wasn't at the game, but I also remember a game btwn Yankees and Red Sox where they were down 9-0 after 2 innings and scored 11 runs in the 3rd. I think Clemens was on the mound vs. Tommy John

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Great topic...made me think.

If you are going random when the team was the suck, I have to go with a Yankee game in 1990...Yanks suuuuuuuuucked, finishing like 20 games in back of the Sawx.

There was no light at the end of the Yankee land tunnel as far as we could see.

This particular game was against the Royals and I somehow snagged tix behind the Royals dugout seats....

Fargin Bo Jackson hit three monster homers and made one of the best catches you will ever see. I think he actually hurt himself and was out for a while after it....anyhoo, the Yankee stadium crowd was electric that night and basically adopted Bo, cause you knew you were seeing something special..I think the reaction after the third homer was pretty much identical to what Arod got after hitting his 600th. It was hysterical, I think even the Yankees were amused.

Since I was right behind the ROyals dugout, I got a pretty good look at Bo... and to this day, he is still one of the most awesome physical specimens I have ever seen up close.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    and to this day, he still has one of the most awesome specimens I have ever seen up close.
    Wow, just wow!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Wow, just wow!
    I was like, omg!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this counts, but it was random due to the fact that I bought the tix a couple weeks before. I was there when Jeter passed the Iron Horse for the all time Yankees hit record. The ridiculous standing ovation that ensued was something I'll never forget.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99907030.shtml

July 3rd, 1999:

Down 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Scott Brosius hits a 3 run walk off HR. Arthur Rhodes is the opposite of a Yankee killer. I went to the game with my father, we sat in the nose bleeds most of them game, but came down behind the plate to watch the last 2 innings. I distinctly remember being told by an usher to get off the padded seats after the HR.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must have been the early 90's. Yanks/Sox at the stadium. Sox are up in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. I forget who it was, but a Yankee popped up to end the game. A fan runs out onto the field and during the play, and the ball is declared dead. The Yanks come back to win.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJetfan View Post
    Must have been the early 90's. Yanks/Sox at the stadium. Sox are up in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. I forget who it was, but a Yankee popped up to end the game. A fan runs out onto the field and during the play, and the ball is declared dead. The Yanks come back to win.
    Now that is what I call a loyal fan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't been to many games unfortunately But I was fortunate enough to snatch tickets to Game 7 of the 2008 ALCS. I know, not a 'random' game but to be involved in a crowd like that, where you can't even hear yourself speak, and to watch a team swarm the mound after they won to go to the World Series, pretty awesome stuff.

Other than that I haven't been to any great games, almost saw Joe Mauer hit for the cycle and watched Niemann pitch 6 innings of no-hit baseball. Oh, and I attended the game RIGHT AFTER David Cone pitched his perfect game, against the Expos I think and i'm pretty sure they lost that game.
    Last edited by BleedGnW; 08-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Cone's perfect game was the first baseball game I attended.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A-Rod's 500th HR game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the yankees sucked, I went to a double header in Andy Hawkins start after he had lost the No-Hitter. Hawk throws 10 shutout innings, comes out for the 11th, gives up a couple and gets the loss. That was game one of the double header.

Game 2, Yankees score a couple in the first, and it was just so.... "Really, now? You couldn't have done that in the last 3 hours?"

Also, I was at Phil Rizzuto day where Tom Seaver won # 300

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    David Cone's perfect game was the first baseball game I attended.
    I begged my Dad to take me to a 4th of July game years ago against the SOx. Probably the only time he said no to taking me to a game, he thought It would be sold out. It wasn't, and Dave Righetti threw a no hitter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Yankee Stadium on July 4, 1983 to see Dave Righetti throw his no-hitter. was there with my buddy totally on a whim.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at work one day and one of my employees, Ronnie, asked if I was going to the Yankee game. I said no but then changed my mind. He said he was going to sit in the bleachers. I had been to a ton of Yankee games by that point but had never sat in the bleachers. When I got to the game, I looked to see if Ronnie was in the bleacher ticket line and amazingly he was at the window. I had him by two extras for me and a friend and we went in.

It was May 14, 1996. Doc Gooden threw a no-hitter. I still have my ticket at home.

With that said, I am jealous of the guys that got to see the perfect games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more...

June 26, 1987, I was living in Connecticut and going to met a friend at the Yankees / red sux game at the Stadium. My buddy asked me to bring his kid brother and his brother's friend to the game. Turns out that the brother's friend was a red sox fan.

Anyway, after 2 innings, it's 9-0 red sux with Clemens on the mound and the little prick red sux fan is rubbing my nose in it. Yanks came back to win 12-11 in 10 innings.

That poor, stupid son of a b!tch had to ride all the way back to Connecticut with me as I busted his balls the entire time.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJetfan View Post
    I was at that game. It was in sept. of 93. The Yanks were trying to stay in the race. They were about three or four games behind the Jays.The fan ran out just as the pitch was being thrown.Mike Stanley was the hitter.Stanley and the next hitter(forget who) both got hits. Then Mattingly got the game winning hit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Barry Bonds hit a grand slam into McCovey Cove at Pac Bell during his record breaking season in '01. Was sitting upper deck, first base line. The ball just went whizzing straight in front of my eyes into the San Francisco Bay.

Gotta say, it was pretty awesome. The crowd went nuts. Still to this day, I remember the smell of that whole ballpark: garlic fries.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Wells perfect game......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    July 22, 2004 Blue Jays vs. Yankees.

Yanks win 1-0 with Ruben Sierra hitting game winning homer in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00407220.shtml

It was a Thursday afternoon game and I was off from work that day. Out of the blue I said, "What the heck, let me go to the game," so I bought tickets over the phone that morning and went to the Stadium.

El Duque was brilliant, striking out 10 and walking only 1 over 7 innings. Ted Lily pitched well for the Blue Jays striking out 6 in 6.2 innings.

I had never before--or since--watched a game in-person or on TV that ended 1-0 with a GW homer in the bottom of the 9th.