Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Hunting in the City is a Joke

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Apartment Hunting in the City is a Joke

Is there a real estate broker out there that won't try to rip you off? The seemingly simple task of finding a suitable 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan has turned into a miserable month of being scammed, misled, lied to, etc.

Typical Real Estate Broker BS:

1) When calling in reponse to a really nice listing: "Oh actually the apartment was JUST rented, but while I have you on the phone, why don't you tell me what you're looking for and I'll see if we have any other listings that match your criteria". :rolleyes:

2) After showing up for a viewing: "I know we said the price was $3300 a month with no fee, but we just spoke to the landlord and they're bumping it up to $3500 with a fee." :mad:

3) After viewing an apartment, loving it, applying for it, and sending them a check for $200 for the application fee: "We heard back from the landlord, and unfortunately they do not want 3 tenants occupying the unit going forward. We'll talk to them about POSSIBLY reimbursing you for the processing fee." :steamin:

Anyone know a good broker? :cool:
    Last edited by Crease29; 08-05-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3670073]Is there a real estate broker out there that won't try to rip you off? [/QUOTE]

Ripping people off is kinda what they do.

Think I could base the cost of installing plumbing in a new house based on a percentage of the home's final sale price?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 08-05-2010 at 05:43 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670114]
    Think I could base the cost of installing plumbing in a new house based on a percentage of the home's final sale price?
    [/QUOTE]

Breaks your heart, doesn't it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you got scammed. I PMed you w/some info if you're interested.

Good luck!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670114]Ripping people off is kinda what they do.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.[/QUOTE]

BS PK, It's not what we do at all. Don't lump good brokers that know how to take care of their clients with a couple of scumbags that Crease dealt with.
    Brokers have to follow the strictest guidelines for both rentals and sales as do their realtors under them. There are bad apples in every industry.

Sorry but I've heard worse stories about plumbers ripping people off.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3670171]Sorry but I've heard worse stories about plumbers ripping people off.[/QUOTE]

I jest with you realtor guys. I just never cared for them much when they used to kick all of us out of the houses we were working on when they had a "viewing". Yeah. Because the potential homeowner might realize that the house was built by people and not magical garden gnomes who show up after dusk.

That...and it's called a "room", not a space.

But seriously. You guys are the suckers that have to deal with homeowners more than I ever did. HA HA!! How many times have you ever said "F*ck this sale...I'd rather have the satisfaction of beating this f*cker senseless than make a commission". C'mon...you know you've wanted to do it once, twice...100 times.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3670073]Is there a real estate broker out there that won't try to rip you off? The seemingly simple task of finding a suitable 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan has turned into a miserable month of being scammed, misled, lied to, etc.

[B]1) When calling in reponse to a really nice listing: "Oh actually the apartment was JUST rented, but while I have you on the phone, why don't you tell me what you're looking for and I'll see if we have any other listings that match your criteria". :rolleyes:[/B]

2) After showing up for a viewing: "I know we said the price was $3300 a month with no fee, but we just spoke to the landlord and they're bumping it up to $3500 with a fee." :mad:

3) After viewing an apartment, loving it, applying for it, and sending them a check for $200 for the application fee: "We heard back from the landlord, and unfortunately they do not want 3 tenants occupying the unit going forward. We'll talk to them about POSSIBLY reimbursing you for the processing fee." :steamin:

Anyone know a good broker? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Ah yes - The old "Bait and Switch." Funny how those "bargains" always disappear as soon as you show up to buy one of them. The only time I made out well with an apartment in the city was when a colleague told me she was moving and personally arranged for me to take it over. The landlord just wanted to meet with me, we hit it off, and I had the place - no broker involved.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3670171]BS PK, It's not what we do at all. Don't lump good brokers that know how to take care of their clients with a couple of scumbags that Crease dealt with.
    Brokers have to follow the strictest guidelines for both rentals and sales as do their realtors under them. There are bad apples in every industry.

Sorry but I've heard worse stories about plumbers ripping people off.[/QUOTE]

no offense to you and your profession, but NYC realtors are a different breed.

i'd say 99% of them are scumbags.

even worse than plumbers :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3670604]even worse than plumbers :eek:[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I think :confused: ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670669]Thanks.

I think :confused: ;)[/QUOTE]

please accept my apologies.

nothing's worse than plumbers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3670604]no offense to you and your profession, but NYC realtors are a different breed.

i'd say 99% of them are scumbags.

even worse than plumbers :eek:[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with this. Except the plumber part.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3670679]please accept my apologies.

nothing's worse than plumbers.[/QUOTE]

Yea yea yea. I know, I know.

Plumbers are evil...up until the point where the poopy stops going bye-bye. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670693]Yea yea yea. I know, I know.

Plumbers are evil...up until the point where the poopy stops going bye-bye. :D[/QUOTE]

I don't trust a skinny plumber.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3670073]Is there a real estate broker out there that won't try to rip you off? The seemingly simple task of finding a suitable 3 bedroom apartment in Manhattan has turned into a miserable month of being scammed, misled, lied to, etc.

1) When calling in reponse to a really nice listing: "Oh actually the apartment was JUST rented, but while I have you on the phone, why don't you tell me what you're looking for and I'll see if we have any other listings that match your criteria". :rolleyes:

Anyone know a good broker? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like head hunters the last time I was looking for a job. They're all scum.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Plumbers are evil...up until the point where the poopy stops going bye-bye. :D[/QUOTE]

Pk, plumbers and cops.

I told you.

Everyone hates them until they need one... and then you cant get there fast enough nor leave soon enough.

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

so you get all pissy when i say plumbers aren't the worst, and you ***** even more when i say they are...

and you stilll wonder why people hate plumbers?? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3670698]I don't trust a skinny plumber.[/QUOTE]

LOL. There ain't too many of us skinny plumbers out there. I've seen the look of relief on a few housewives faces when I showed up :)

[QUOTE=32]Pk, plumbers and cops.

I told you.

Everyone hates them until they need one... and then you cant get there fast enough nor leave soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm still standing by my promise to not judge police officers use of tasers anymore. All I have to do is think to myself "How often would I have wanted to use a taser at work"...and then I completely understand :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3670727]so you get all pissy when i say plumbers aren't the worst, and you ***** even more when i say they are...[/QUOTE]

Hey. When you spill an entire quart of PVC primer in a crawlspace, breath in the vapors for 20 mins and then get sent home early by your boss for giggling and constantly repeating lines from Monty Python to yourself while the homeowner is upstairs expressing concerns to your boss about your mental well-being...then you get the right to have the voices in your head not agree with each other.

lol....watery tart....Listen...strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670736]

I agree. I'm still standing by my promise to not judge police officers use of tasers anymore. All I have to do is think to myself "How often would I have wanted to use a taser at work"...and then I completely understand :yes:[/QUOTE]

You know, PK, when cops across the country get together for the annual Taze APpreciation Convention, Pollice Officer McNevin... still gets standing O's.

No one has been able to top this combination of visual and audio shenanigans.

It's better with your eyes closed, and that's hard to top.

The dont taze me bro guy spoke at last years gathering and even he admitted he couldnt top this.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1R8fa-vOc[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3670776]You know, PK, when cops across the country get together for the annual Taze APpreciation Convention, Pollice Officer McNevin... still gets standing O's.

No one has been able to top this combination of visual and audio shenanigans.

It's better with your eyes closed, and that's hard to top.

The dont taze me bro guy spoke at last years gathering and even he admitted he couldnt top this.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1R8fa-vOc[/url][/QUOTE]

Fast forward to 4:00. Sounds like she's getting cornholed with a wine jug.