Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest car you ever driven/owned?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the fastest car you ever driven/owned?

Hyundai Tiburon with 350 HP... burned a few tires and one turbo drag-racing it. I am thinking about stocking it with 450...I still have it as my toy car.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3670188]Hyundai Tiburon with 350 HP... burned a few tires and one turbo drag-racing it. I am thinking about stocking it with 450...I still have it as my toy car.[/QUOTE]

Driven?

Fastest I've driven 0-60 - 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S @ 2.9 seconds

Fastest top speed - 2008 599 Ferrari, 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago or 2008 Mclaren SLR about 208mph. Of course, I never drove that fast. Just what they where capable of.

Fastest [b]I've[/b] ever driven - 156mph in a 2008 Nissan GTR on the Eastern Plains

Fastest track car I've driven - 2011 Porsche GT3 RS
    Last edited by Greaser; 08-05-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a car guy, but my sister's father-in-law put a Chevy racing engine in a sixties era Jaguar convertible. On the streets of Buffalo, when I put my foot down, everything in my peripheral vision got blurry. It was neck-snappingly awesome. It was the extreme power to weight ratio that made the thing such a rocket.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3670194]Driven?

[B]Fastest I've driven 0-60 - 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S @ 2.9 seconds[/B]

Fastest top speed - 2008 599 Ferrari, 2007 Lamborghini Murcielago or 2008 Mclaren SLR about 208mph. Of course, I never drove that fast. Just what they where capable of.

Fastest [b]I've[/b] ever driven - 156mph in a 2008 Nissan GTR on the Eastern Plains

Fastest track car I've driven - 2011 Porsche GT3 RS[/QUOTE]

I wish I could afford such beast! Congrats...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3670204]I wish I could afford such beast! Congrats...[/QUOTE]

OHH NO! LoL I can't afford $180,000 for a car.

I work for Porsche and drive any car you can think of, sometimes over the weekend.

NOT a car sales man or finance guy. :D

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3670188]Hyundai Tiburon with 350 HP... burned a few tires and one turbo drag-racing it. I am thinking about stocking it with 450...I still have it as my toy car.[/QUOTE]

1979 Pontiac Trans Am 403 olds motor(6.6liter) 4 barrel carb. Great car was quick off the line but not great, but the top end was awsome, effortless to drive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My brother is always building a new toy. He drag races (legally) all the time and has the fastest car I've ever riden in or even heard about. A 760hp Honda S2000 -- it's unbelievably fast. I'm too much of a chicken sh!t to push it too much.

It's evidently not fast enough for him. He just bought a Toyota Supra that he intents to make faster/more powerful than the S2k. Don't ask me how, but he says it'll have close to 1000hp.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 08-05-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top speed 136 (that I can recall) in my BMW M3 Convertible. 333HP. On the Tappan Zee Bridge. NO cops :D Tried to take a picture of the speedometer and tach with my cellphone. Really really stupid.

I owned a 1969 Camaro 350 V8. Don't know the horsepower but the car sucked gas like...well...a well known Hampurite. Fast as balls straight-line. Took it to the shop and told the mechanic I thought there was a hole in my gas tank.

He said "yeah, it's called your carburetor".

Probably the fastest car I've ever driven was a 1969 GTO with a 400 V8 owned by one of the guys on my Syracuse hockey team. I was the starting goalie, left my cup back at the dorm, took his car to get it, did the 20 minute round-trip drive in what seemed like 14 minutes. :D

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. Bought it from some old lady for $600. It was her son's and he had passed away. I told her it was worth more, but she didn't care...just wanted it gone. I made it up to her 6-7 years later when I sent by my company to change her boiler. I charged her $600 for the new boiler :D She looked at the bill when I handed it to her, very confused. She didn't remember who I was, I had to remind her. Told her I ended up selling it for 12k 2 years later and I couldn't hand her a bill for $7,500. Cost me a bunch of Saturdays and late nights at work.

Man, that car was a f*cking rocket.

But as far as top speed....I ride motorcycles. I hit 100-120 every day on my way to work on this sweet, freshly paved backroad that has the nicest combination of long sweeping turns, straightaways and elevation changes. I got a ticket on the Taconic for doing 144 on my buddies R1...and the Taconic is a really really bad road for trying to pull that sh*t...especially since alot of the crossings up in Putnam and Dutchess counties were still open, not to mention that the road surface looks like alot of roads in Falluja.

But I've gone faster than 144 on a few bikes, but was too scared too look at the spedo since the dotted lines had turned into solid lines :eek:
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 08-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670240]1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. Bought it from some old lady for $600. It was her son's and he had passed away. I told her it was worth more, but she didn't care...just wanted it gone. I made it up to her 6-7 years later when I sent by my company to change her boiler. I charged her $600 for the new boiler :D She looked at the bill when I handed it to her, very confused. She didn't remember who I was, I had to remind her. Told her I ended up selling it for 12k 2 years later and I couldn't hand her a bill for $7,500. Cost me a bunch of Saturdays and late nights at work.

But as far as top speed....I ride motorcycles. I hit 100-120 every day on my way to work on this sweet, freshly paved backroad that has the nicest combination of long sweeping turns, straightaways and elevation changes. I got a ticket on the Taconic for doing 144 on my buddies R1...and the Taconic is a really really bad road for trying to pull that sh*t...especially since alot of the crossings up in Putnam and Dutchess counties were still open, not to mention that the road surface looks like alot of roads in Falluja.

But I've gone faster than 144 on a few bikes, but was too scared too look at the spedo since the dotted lines had turned into solid lines :eek:[/QUOTE]
    Your a good egg...PK
    BMW M3 E30.....speed isn't everything

Driven M5

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my wife's BMW to 126 on the way to Vegas last month. The I-15 is pretty straight for long stretches and basically no traffic (depending on what day and time it is). Wife said "OK! OK! That's fast enough don't you think???" :D I Like scaring her.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3670240]1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1. Bought it from some old lady for $600. It was her son's and he had passed away. I told her it was worth more, but she didn't care...just wanted it gone. I made it up to her 6-7 years later when I sent by my company to change her boiler. I charged her $600 for the new boiler :D She looked at the bill when I handed it to her, very confused. She didn't remember who I was, I had to remind her. Told her I ended up selling it for 12k 2 years later and I couldn't hand her a bill for $7,500. Cost me a bunch of Saturdays and late nights at work.

But I've gone faster than 144 on a few bikes, but was too scared too look at the spedo since the dotted lines had turned into solid lines :eek:[/QUOTE]

Haha, you are CRAZY going that fast on the Taconic!! For the reasons you stated, and because there are sooo many cops on that road! (Which I guess you found out.)

Cool story about what you did for the lady though, that was really nice of you...

As far as fastest car I've owned...the only cars I've had are a 1992 Chevy Cavalier which died in the middle of Route 7 here in Wilton, CT (which was awesome), and a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, my current car, which is a great offroad car, but the top speed is 85. I don't think I've ever seen any other cars spedometer go up by 5. It doesn't even start at 0, just 5. Strange.

However, as far as fastest car I've driven....we were getting a delivery at the store and a frequent customer's Aston Martin was sitting in the truck's way. I told him that he would have to move the car. To my surprise, he tossed the keys to me. All I did was drive it around to the side parking lot, but holy ****, I could feel that power. I wanted to speed around in that thing so bad. Sadly, I'll probably never sit behind the wheel of one of those again....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I once got my Dodge Dart Swinger up to 95.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm.. probably Corvette Z06

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    1986 - Chevy IrocZ - Great take off speed, awesome handling

1990 - Chevy 454SS Pickup - I could literally spin tires at start, handling was decent, not a truck for the snow - two wheel drive..

1994 Chevy Impala SS - 4 door rocket, comfortable..

A buddy of mine had a 197? Plymouth Barracuda. We took it on the back road, as he went through each gear, the car would just eat up the road..We were over 100 mph in no time, he had plenty more to go...Not sure of the motor but boy was that car quick....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    1986 - Chevy IrocZ - Great take off speed, awesome handling

1990 - Chevy 454SS Pickup - I could literally spin tires at start, handling was decent, not a truck for the snow - two wheel drive..

1994 Chevy Impala SS - 4 door rocket, comfortable..

A buddy of mine had a 197? Plymouth Barracuda. We took it on the back road, as he went through each gear, the car would just eat up the road..We were over 100 mph in no time, he had plenty more to go...Not sure of the motor but boy was that car quick....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3670334]Hmm.. probably Corvette Z06[/QUOTE]

Nice! Was it one of the newer ones?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3670334]Hmm.. probably Corvette Z06[/QUOTE]

My dream car. The new ZR1's are faster, but I like the look of the Z06.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3670325]I once got my Dodge Dart Swinger up to 95.[/QUOTE]

You have ripped the heart, the soul and the dooshiness out of the Hampur.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3670360]My dream car. The new ZR1's are faster, but I like the look of the Z06.[/QUOTE]

Both are ridiculous cars for the money.