Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stats that show revis is not as good as he/we think he is

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Stats that show revis is not as good as he/we think he is

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/2422

Stats over the last 3 years

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Charles.Woodson 20 6 4 167
    Ed Reed 19 3 6 105
    Asante Samuel 19 2 1 111
    O.J. Atogwe 17 1 6 199
    Antonio Cromartie 15 2 2 130
    DeAngelo Hall 14 0 4 168
    Leon Hall 14 0 1 164
    Darren Sharper 14 4 2 157
    Darrelle Revis 14 2 3 166

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DUMP.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darrelle Revis - Give me a break!

Darrelle RevisDarrelle RevisRevis is a cornerback for the New York Jets. Many consider him the best defensive back in the NFL. Whether he is or not is irrelevant to the issue IMO. What is the issue? He is holding out, demanding to be paid more than the highest paid player at his position in the league. In this case, that would be Nnambi Asomugha. He made about $12 million last year.

UFRUFR

Jets owner, Woody Johnson, when asked yesterday if Revis would be playing this season: “My gut feeling is I would say no.”

It’s clear that Johnson is drawing the line in the sand. Whether or not he capitulates remains to be seen, but I doubt it. That doesn’t mean the two sides won’t agree on something, but considering the gulf that seems to be separating them, I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were a Jets’ fan.

I never side with anyone who has a contract and refuses to honor it. I fully appreciate the fact that they can refuse to play. That’s their right. But, it is also the right of the team to expect what both sides previously agreed to. As it is, Revis has been paid quite a bit by the Jets in his first three seasons, but I’ll get back to that.

Shown below are the players in the NFL who have the most interceptions in the last three years – the period of time Revis has been in the NFL. FR- Fumble Recoveries

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Ed Reed 19 3 6 105
    Asante Samuel 19 2 1 111
    O.J. Atogwe 17 1 6 199
    DeAngelo Hall 14 0 4 168
    Leon Hall 14 0 1 164

-

Revis’ numbers don’t stand out among this group – actually below all but a couple of the others. Of course, Revis is known for his ability to shut down the top receivers he is matched up against. Without a lot of work and several tables, it would be hard to show that here. Let’s just agree he’s either the best or among the best.

As I stated earlier, whether he is the best or not is irrelevant – at least to me. Take a look at the same three-year stats for Nnamni Asomugha – who Revis wants to surpass in salary.

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Nnamni.Asomugha 3 0 0 94

-

Pretty pathetic, right? The point is two-fold. First of all, any of these players above could be holding out for the same reason. Why should Asomugha be getting paid way more money than they are? It’s ridiculous… except it’s a CONTRACT!

Secondly, for Revis to say he wants to be paid more than Asomugha, he’s merely picking a number out of the air. Asomugha is being paid 20 times what he should be. That’s the way contracts work – especially in sports.

One of the reasons I don’t deal with contracts on this blog – or at least rarely – is because to some degree they are a moving target – especially with respect to bonuses. You can’t just look at a single number and it applies equally to all players. That doesn’t compute in my rigid black and white world.

I don’t claim to have a good way to look up salaries, but I did find this USA Salary Database – although I think I found a few errors in it. Nevertheless, I think it is accurate enough to make the point I want to make.

It is somewhat unusual for the best player in the game to be the highest paid player in the game. Why? Well, it’s kind of obvious. Players sign contracts. And, when they do, they may or may not be the best player in the game. Even if they are, they may not get the biggest contract. But, what usually happens is that a player becomes really good and still makes peanuts by comparison. His payoff is after his initial contract expires – and often times when he isn’t as good. He becomes a free agent and his salary goes through the roof. You wait and then you cash in. That’s the way it works in sports.

If you want to try to force the issue, you can hold out and hope the club will write a new contract. Sometimes they do. If you are great, they will. But, a new contract does not necessarily mean the kind of money Revis wants – especially when nobody else is anywhere near that number and the club already has a contract with him.

USA Today’s database doesn’t go back as far as I would need it to for Woodson’s first two seasons, so I’ll compare Revis to the next three on the list above – Reed, Samuel and Atogwe.

Shown are the first five seasons for those three players along with Revis so far. Shown in thousands unless noted by M (Million). *Includes signing bonus.

Player Yr 1 Yr 2 Yr 3 Yr 4 Yr 5
    Reed 3.9M* 445 513 581 8.1M
    Samuel 538 345 420 722 7.8M
    Atogwe 821 355 440 2.0M 6.3M
    Revis 5.3M 2.7M 6.3M

-

Revis has already been paid far more than these other comparable defensive backs based upon their first three years in the league. But, the point of the table is to show what happens in year five after you’ve paid your dues and proved your worth.

Revis wants $12M in year four. It’s ridiculous.

If I were Woody Johnson, I would never agree to more guaranteed money. I might consider some additional bonus clauses based upon wins and performance. At least that way Revis has to earn the additional money via incentives rather than simply getting paid a ton more for doing what he was contracted to do anyway.

Despite his quote, I seriously doubt if Johnson can stay the course such that Revis doesn’t play at all this season. Since the Jets are considered a playoff team – possibly even a serious contender for the Super Bowl, the pressure on Johnson to sign him almost certainly means something will happen.

When it does, both sides will be satisfied and life in NYC can get back to normal – whatever that is. As for me, I think it would be super cool if Revis sat out the entire year – too proud to accept the terms of his contract, too greedy to honor his commitments. Of course, I'm not a Jets fan, so that's easy for me to say.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Stats that show revis is not as good as he/we think he is
    Wait for it.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vin777b View Post
    DUMP.
    Agreed, INT stats have nothing to do with how good a player is and the last 3 years were Revis FIRST 3 SEASONS.

He is as good as people say he is, hes a GREAT player who we need.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Ed Reed 19 3 6 105
    Asante Samuel 19 2 1 111
    O.J. Atogwe 17 1 6 199
    DeAngelo Hall 14 0 4 168
    Leon Hall 14 0 1 164
    Being pissed at him and being delusional are two different things..he is ridiculously good, people don't throw at him. Please, relax with this nonsense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darrelle Revis is a shut down corner.

Darrelle Revis is the best overall CB in the game today.

Darrelle Revis is the most talented Jets CB in franchise history.

Darrelle Revis has elite talent, shut down ability, as well as HOF potential.

Rex Ryan made it known that Revis is the best overall CB in the game.

99.9% of NFL players, coaches, GM's, experts and fans of the game of football would rank Revis as the best CB in the league; And for good reason.

Not only is Revis the best CB in the game today, but he's the most dominating shut down CB since #21 of the Falcons, Cowboys and 49ers during the 90's as well as Champ Bailey of the 2000's. He's THAT special.

Look: I may hate what Darrelle Revis is doing to the team that I love to love, I may bash him as a money hungry person, but there is no question about his ability to dominate games. He's a once in a generation type of talent.

What Revis did last year was ground breaking.

And lets not forget, heading into last season, after only two years of being in the league, Revis was already known as a top 5 talent.

As of right now? After only 3 years of being in the league? He's hands down, the most dominating defensive player in the game.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 08-10-2010 at 10:37 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Wait for it.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about showing the stats that matter?

Jets had the lowest amount of YPG to #1 WRs in the history of them taking this stat. Something like 29 yards per game.

Revis allowed around 30% of passes his way completed.

Revis had around a 30 QB rating against him.

This contract situation is getting annoying, but lets not pretend that Revis isn't extremely important to this team and that he isn't a great CB. He is the best player on this team without a doubt, we do need him if we realistically want to contend for a SB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't even read this because cornerbacks aren't judged on stats. Pull up Kris Jenkins stats -- they're certainly not impressive; are you going to tell me he's not that good?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vin777b View Post
    DUMP.
    Why?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait for it.

_
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Darrelle Revis is a shut down corner.

Darrelle Revis is the best overall CB in the game today.

Darrelle Revis is the most talented Jets CB in franchise history.

Darrelle Revis has elite talent, shut down ability, as well as HOF potential.

Rex Ryan made it known that Revis is the best overall CB in the game.

99.9% of NFL players, coaches, GM's, experts and fans of the game of football would rank Revis as the best CB in the league; And for good reason.

Not only is Revis the best CB in the game today, but he's the most dominating shut down CB since #21 of the Falcons, Cowboys and 49ers during the 90's as well as Champ Bailey of the 2000's. He's THAT special.

Look: I may hate what Darrelle Revis is doing to the team that I love to love, I may bash him as a money hungry person, but there is no question about his ability to dominate games. He's a once in a generation type of talent.

What Revis did last year was ground breaking. And lets not forget, heading into last season, after only two years of being in the league, Revis was already known as a top 5 talent.
    LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    While I don't support his salary demands demeaning his talent is wrong..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Ed Reed 19 3 6 105
    Asante Samuel 19 2 1 111
    O.J. Atogwe 17 1 6 199
    DeAngelo Hall 14 0 4 168
    Leon Hall 14 0 1 164
    thats great. did you watch any games last year. who the hell cares what the statline says.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is meaningless because the reality is that even the best CB in the NFL is not more important to a Defense's performance than:

a stud MLB who is both physical and football smart
    a DE who can stop the run and consistently and get to the QB
    an OLB who demands a double team when rushing the QB
    A Safety who can play pass and stuff the run like a LB

Revis has overplayed his hand. The Jets know as great as Revis is, great Defenses are not built around a great CB. Great CB's are a luxury item.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait for it.

_
    BWAHAHAHAHA....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The opening post is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in its rambling, incoherent statements was it even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Nnambi Asomugha.

Charles.Woodson
    O.J. Atogwe
    Nnamni.Asomugha
    Two different spellings of Asomugha's name, both incorrect, dots separating first and last names, including a safety in a comparison about cornerbacks. You're entitled to think Revis isn't a good player, but this article isn't worthy of the strip. A kid obviously wrote it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Player INT TD FR TKL
    Ed Reed 19 3 6 105
    Asante Samuel 19 2 1 111
    O.J. Atogwe 17 1 6 199
    DeAngelo Hall 14 0 4 168
    Leon Hall 14 0 1 164
    DUMB!!!!

So maybe teams just didn't throw his way so he couldn't get more INTs (stats)....Stupid thread.