Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Rays May Shop Garza and Shields in the Offseason

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rays May Shop Garza and Shields in the Offseason

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...is-winter.html

    I really hope the Mets would be on this though I cant see them being involved if this is financially motivated.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way in hell the Rays will trade Matt Garza. James Shields? Yes. Garza? Not a chance.

    2011 rotation:

    David Price
    Matt Garza
    Jeff Niemann
    Jeremy Hellickson
    Wade Davis

  3. #3
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like
    the fire sale begins!!!!!!! bahhaha

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johan Santana
    Garza or Shields
    Javy Vazquez
    Mike Pelfrey
    Jon Niese

    ....that would be a nice rotation for the Mets

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    10,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    The article says OR, not AND. So if they do this, it won't be both guys.

  6. #6
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    There is no way in hell the Rays will trade Matt Garza. James Shields? Yes. Garza? Not a chance.

    2011 rotation:

    David Price
    Matt Garza
    Jeff Niemann
    Jeremy Hellickson
    Wade Davis
    Why not?
    Garza is arbitration elegible and next year will be his walk year. With your owner looking to cut payroll it's possible.Garza will probably win 14-16 games this year meaning he'll be do a big raise in arbitration. Then if he has a good year next year can really cash in as a FA next off season.If you can get a good young player or players for him I can see it happening.You're deep in starting pitching and Garza can be replaced.

  7. #7
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Johan Santana
    Garza or Shields
    Javy Vazquez
    Mike Pelfrey
    Jon Niese

    ....that would be a nice rotation for the Mets
    id still take.....
    Sabathia
    Lee
    Hughes
    Burnett
    Pettitte?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    id still take.....
    Sabathia
    Lee
    Hughes
    Burnett
    Pettitte?
    ...we're not talking about the Yankees

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    There is no way in hell the Rays will trade Matt Garza. James Shields? Yes. Garza? Not a chance.

    2011 rotation:

    David Price
    Matt Garza
    Jeff Niemann
    Jeremy Hellickson
    Wade Davis
    So it's official. The Rays will trade Garza, not Shields.

    Fact is, Garza can be a FA after two more seasons, and will be due for a nice raise in his 2nd year of arbitration, after making $3.35M this year. I could see him gettinh $7ish million next year, and $10M the following year, if he stays healthy.

    James Shields, on the other hand, has a very club friendly contract, making $4.25M next year, then two club options for $7M and $9M respectively. Plus Shields is better than what his ERA is this year.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miano View Post
    Why not?
    Garza is arbitration elegible and next year will be his walk year. With your owner looking to cut payroll it's possible.Garza will probably win 14-16 games this year meaning he'll be do a big raise in arbitration. Then if he has a good year next year can really cash in as a FA next off season.If you can get a good young player or players for him I can see it happening.You're deep in starting pitching and Garza can be replaced.
    Rays control Garza another 3 years after this season. This is only his 3rd season of service. You become a FA after 6 years.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-11-2010 at 09:20 PM.

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    ...we're not talking about the Yankees
    just thought id throw it out there, no need to get your jockstrap in a bunch there

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    just thought id throw it out there, no need to get your jockstrap in a bunch there
    There's plenty Yankee threads, try not to turn the few non one's into one.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Johan Santana
    Garza or Shields
    Javy Vazquez
    Mike Pelfrey
    Jon Niese

    ....that would be a nice rotation for the Mets
    Would be good. Mets are not the team I want to sign Javy though, unless they go on a winning streak so they aren't a top 15 pick.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    So it's official. The Rays will trade Garza, not Shields.

    Fact is, Garza can be a FA after two more seasons, and will be due for a nice raise in his 2nd year of arbitration, after making $3.35M this year. I could see him gettinh $7ish million next year, and $10M the following year, if he stays healthy.

    James Shields, on the other hand, has a very club friendly contract, making $4.25M next year, then two club options for $7M and $9M respectively. Plus Shields is better than what his ERA is this year.
    You sure it's 2 seasons? I thought it was 3.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Rays control Garza another 3 years after this season. This is only his 3rd season of service. You become a FA after 6 years.
    It was his first year of arbitration, so unless he was a Super Two guy, he'd have two more years left before becoming a FA.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    10,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    There's plenty Yankee threads, try not to turn the few non one's into one.
    Relax Peter Gammons, all he did was compare the possible METS rotation you posted to a possible Yankees rotation.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Relax Peter Gammons, all he did was compare the possible METS rotation you posted to a possible Yankees rotation.


  18. #18
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    368
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Relax Peter Gammons, all he did was compare the possible METS rotation you posted to a possible Yankees rotation.
    thank you, i didnt know there were specific yankee threads in the baseball forum where we only put down possible pitching rotations

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets fans don't appreciate every thread turning into a discussion about the Yankees. I understand where they are coming from, but whatever...... be my guest.

  20. #20
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    There is no way in hell the Rays will trade Matt Garza. James Shields? Yes. Garza? Not a chance.
    And where did you tell us LeBron James would definetly NOT end up, Nostradoofus?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us