Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Wisdom Teeth

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Wisdom Teeth

im getting two wisdom teeth and two 12 year molars taken out tomarrow, any advice for me going into it? what should i be expecting and what wont i be able to do afterward?!?!?!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    are the wisdom teeth impacted?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bay Ridge Jet;3679329]are the wisdom teeth impacted?[/QUOTE]

my bottoms are, but the top two wisdoms have grown down right into the roots of two of my molars, leading to some type of nerve damage **** so im getting the regular molars removed and having the wisdom teeth grow naturally into the old molar slots :i_dont_kn

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chrebetCT1192;3679346]my bottoms are, but the top two wisdoms have grown down right into the roots of two of my molars, leading to some type of nerve damage **** so im getting the regular molars removed and having the wisdom teeth grow naturally into the old molar slots :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

oh well in that case take the pills before the novicane wears off

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got my wisdom teeth out about 3 years ago. Really wasn't all that bad. Wasn't in all that much pain and didn't even use the painkillers all that much. My mouth was tender for like 5 or 6 days. Only thing that sucked was having a hard time eating solid foods for that week or so. One little trick I used was rinsing with salt water a few times a day. Sped up the healing process a bit. Nothing to stress about.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DevsJetsYanks88;3679450]Got my wisdom teeth out about 3 years ago. Really wasn't all that bad. Wasn't in all that much pain and didn't even use the painkillers all that much. My mouth was tender for like 5 or 6 days. Only thing that sucked was having a hard time eating solid foods for that week or so. One little trick I used was rinsing with salt water a few times a day. Sped up the healing process a bit. Nothing to stress about.[/QUOTE]

sweet thanks alot, i havent really been sweating it but i just thought i should find out what im in store for

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, better off getting it all done in one process. I don't know why people break it up. It's literally just doubling the amount of time and pain you have to go through. All in one sitting is the way to go if it's possible.

I had mine done, 4 in one day. I believe I didn't chew anything for about 3 days and when I finally did start chewing again I was pretty cautious. All in all, never took the pain meds, just kind of toughed it out. Wasn't that bad. Just a few days of soup essentially.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3679470]IMO, better off getting it all done in one process. I don't know why people break it up. It's literally just doubling the amount of time and pain you have to go through. All in one sitting is the way to go if it's possible.

I had mine done, 4 in one day. I believe I didn't chew anything for about 3 days and when I finally did start chewing again I was pretty cautious. All in all, never took the pain meds, just kind of toughed it out. Wasn't that bad. Just a few days of soup essentially.[/QUOTE]

same here. had all of 4 removed the same day, it really wasn't a big deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had all four taken out at the same time (bottom were impacted). Request laughing gas and local anesthesia...it was an interesting show to say the least. Dentist is going to tell you to ice your jaw on and off for 10 hours afterwards. DO IT. Otherwise your face will swell up like a chipmunk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ oh yeah, definitely go with the laughing gas.

i remember (sorta) just cracking up and saying dumb ****, the dentist was like "OK, looks like we need to give this guy a bigger dose!"

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like everything else, think the worst and hope for the best. It's not that bad, spit up blood after and more of a hassle. If you have had major knee, or hernia surgery this is a breeze, if not you'll be ok.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My older sopne and younger daugther just had all of them out about a month ago.

USE the ice packs all day today. Talk as little as possible. Take your anti-inflamatories.

You will be happy tomorrow, because that's when the most discomfort starts. The less you strain your jaw today, the better you'll feel for the next few days. You also might want to take a few days off from blowing anyone. :D

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still got my wisdom teeth. Dentist said removing them would be unnecessary. Never had a cavity either. :cool:

chrebetCT, if you decide not to take the vicodin or whatever else they give you, PM me and I'll give you my address.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My son had four impacted wisdom teeth removed Monday, he has had a terrific recovery, minimal discomfort, he was able to play 18 holes with me yesterday, and he can begin running again Friday morning.

The bottom line is you need a sugeon with good hands who does not cause too much trauma to the jaw bone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everytime I go to the dentist I get the NO2. I don't mess around, I want a free high damnit! I tell them I'm extremely "edgy" because the NO2 takes the edge off. Haha, nothing like getting free whippets for a few hours. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chrebetCT1192;3679457]sweet thanks alot, i havent really been sweating it but i just thought i should find out what im in store for[/QUOTE]

No problem. Also, listen to what the other guys said as well. I would get it all done in one shot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The younger you are, the less trouble you will have. My dentist told me for years to get them removed. I never did because they didn't bother me. At the ripe age of 37, one of my wisdom teeth busted through my gums and I had to get it removed. My face was swollen for 5 freakin' days. Horrible experience to say the least.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chrebetCT1192;3679320]im getting two wisdom teeth and two 12 year molars taken out tomarrow, any advice for me going into it? what should i be expecting and what wont i be able to do afterward?!?!?![/QUOTE]

get knocked out...

about 12 years ago i had an impacted wisdom tooth that caused a massive infection on the left side of my face....blew up like a balloon and i could barely open my mouth enough to get a straw in to "eat" a shake the night before the procedure...

went with local as if i was knocked out someone would have to drive me home, blah-blah...bad fuqin move....i was 100% in 24 hours but the procedure, which was about 40 minutes (had to pry out the wisdom tooth then suck out the infection) was miserable...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I had all four removed a few years back, it SUCKED. Prior to getting them done, I had an infection like CBNTY and had squirrel cheek as well.

So I didn't realize that they don't actually get "pulled", but what they actually do is "apply pressure". I'm thinking wtf does that mean. Well I just got a local anesthetic so I was awake, dentist gets on a step stool standing over me and pushes a butter knife looking thing on the tooth until it explodes into tiny pieces. It wasn't that bad for the infected tooth because it shattered easily, but the other ones ****ing hurt. Defintely get knocked out.

To top it off, I got home and took too many vicos along with tequila shots and beer and ended up throwing up all night.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3680282]I had all four removed a few years back, it SUCKED. Prior to getting them done, I had an infection like CBNTY and had squirrel cheek as well.

So I didn't realize that they don't actually get "pulled", but what they actually do is "apply pressure". I'm thinking wtf does that mean. Well I just got a local anesthetic so I was awake, dentist gets on a step stool standing over me and pushes a butter knife looking thing on the tooth until it explodes into tiny pieces. It wasn't that bad for the infected tooth because it shattered easily, but the other ones ****ing hurt. Defintely get knocked out.

To top it off, I got home and took too many vicos along with tequila shots and beer and ended up throwing up all night.[/QUOTE]

i could barely open my mouth and the dentist stuck this "jack" in my mouth and kept turning and turning and turning which opened my mouth wider and wider and wider (so he could get to the tooth)...the infection was so bad i remember thinking my eardrum would explode at any moment...