Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fellow Dog Owners - Camping with my dog for the first time

Board Moderator

Fellow Dog Owners - Camping with my dog for the first time

My fellow dog owning friends.

I'm taking my 1 year-old dog and girlfriend camping next week. We will be camping on an island on Saranac Lake. I'm not really worried about him getting lost as it will be a solo island, and not that large.

My girlfriend thinks we need to invest in a GPS collar just in case. I think that's a little excessive. He's a herding dog, and if anything, he would never let us lose him as opposed to the other way around.

Anything I should know or prepare for camping for the dog? He will be sleeping in our tent at night and free to roam around the island when we're not cruising on the boat.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Ha Ha Ha;3679784]

I'm taking my 1 year-old dog and girlfriend camping next week. [/QUOTE]

Er.

:dunno:

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

:eek:

All Pro
    I would not worry about losing the dog on an island, I would make sure he is collared with a tag that can help him find his way home if lost.

I like to stay up late and drink around the camp fire, I have found that if you put one of those glow in the dark neckalace or a flashing strobe of some sort on the dogs collar then you will step on them quite a bit less in the dark.

Good point by Gunnails about one of those strobe light collar things, especially if your dog is not light colored. Is your dog a good swimmer? Is he apt to try and follow you in the boat or jump out of the boat to swim?

A lot depends on how well trained he is. If he will always come when called no matter what then less worries than of he might not come if distracted. I would keep an eye on him early on in the trip to make sure he sticks around your general area while off leash.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ummm, have you trained him for recall? If you haven't trained him to come to you or at least heal on command I wouldn't bring him along. Aside from running away you have to be concerned with him listening to you when you tell him to "leave it" like with another animal or something he shouldn't eat.

Jets Insider VIP
    just don't go "kayaking" - cuz that would be gross.

[QUOTE=32green;3679811]Er.

:dunno:

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Ah, ya beat me to it! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Have you asked your vet if your dog's shots/meds are adequate for the area you are travelling to?

Bewildered Beast
    Please move to the "Strangest Place" thread. ;):D

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3679815]
    I like to stay up late and drink around the camp fire, I have found that if you put one of those glow in the dark neckalace or a flashing strobe of some sort on the dogs collar then you will step on them quite a bit less in the dark.[/QUOTE]

Great idea on the flashing strobe on his collar.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3679843]Good point by Gunnails about one of those strobe light collar things, especially if your dog is not light colored. Is your dog a good swimmer? Is he apt to try and follow you in the boat or jump out of the boat to swim?

A lot depends on how well trained he is. If he will always come when called no matter what then less worries than of he might not come if distracted. I would keep an eye on him early on in the trip to make sure he sticks around your general area while off leash.[/QUOTE]

He's a black dog. He's an excellent swimmer and loves the water, but would never go swim on his own without one of us in the water with him. Also I meant earlier, if we're going on the boat cruising, he's coming with, no one is gonna leave him alone on an island in the middle of a lake :)

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3679984]Ummm, have you trained him for recall? If you haven't trained him to come to you or at least heal on command I wouldn't bring him along. Aside from running away you have to be concerned with him listening to you when you tell him to "leave it" like with another animal or something he shouldn't eat.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he's fully trained for recall, stay, heel; all of the key commands. I go hiking with him at least once a week - off leash - he listens good, but if he sees a squirrel or rabbit he's chasing it till it disappears, he's still only a 1 yr old pup, he won't stop dead in his tracks if he's really focused on something, but 90% of the time he responds to the commands.

[QUOTE=freestater;3680212]Have you asked your vet if your dog's shots/meds are adequate for the area you are travelling to?[/QUOTE]

Yep, he's all up to date. We're going up to the Adirondacks, not an Amazon rainforest. :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

We go basically every other weekend, the pups love it. The best part is that it wears them out so much that they sleep for like 20 hours straight when we get back. Biggest concern is probably wild animals, probably aren't any on a small island, but if there's coyotes they will attack dogs.

Board Moderator
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3680796]We go basically every other weekend, the pups love it. The best part is that it wears them out so much that they sleep for like 20 hours straight when we get back. Biggest concern is probably wild animals, probably aren't any on a small island, but if there's coyotes they will attack dogs.[/QUOTE]

LOL - last hike I did with my dog, on a Saturday, we did a 13 mile strenuous hike bagging peaks. I think he got back to his normal energy levels on Wednesday :)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

so you're gonna be camping doggy style with your g-friend???

Veteran
    My dog, big German Shepherd mix, gets completely and totally spooked camping, even when she's been there year after year (here in SoCal), and barks and growls a lot of the night (and she's got a German Shepherd bark too, sigh). Its really great fun in a tent. However, the second night is always infinitely better.

The moral being that try to avoid getting into the campsite when its already dark. If she can at least get her bearings around the site before it gets dark, she's far less spooked.

Of course that doesn't matter when its 3AM and something is rummaging around the tent, oh man, scariest thing ever! :mad:

EDIT: I should also say, get your dog one of those backpacks so it has to hike in all its supplies and hike them out again :yes:

Benadryl- 1mg/lb of your dog, just incase he gets bitten or has an allergic reaction to something.

Tweezers- pull off ticks and pull out thorns

a small bandage-just incase you need to wrap a cut.

its a 1 year old dog they are going to get into sh-t and get hurt but those are the main supplies i would bring if i went hiking/camping with my dog.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GeorgeJetson80;3680852]Benadryl- 1mg/lb of your dog, just incase he gets bitten or has an allergic reaction to something.

Tweezers- pull off ticks and pull out thorns

a small bandage-just incase you need to wrap a cut.

its a 1 year old dog they are going to get into sh-t and get hurt but those are the main supplies i would bring if i went hiking/camping with my dog.[/QUOTE]

[U][I]Great[/I][/U] advice!

I say go for it and have a good time! Those squirrels are tough on all our dogs, regardless of age! :D

Bring peanut butter and get the dog's dew claws trimmed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Charlie Don't Surf;3681679][B]Bring peanut butter[/B] and get the dog's dew claws trimmed.[/QUOTE]

It's HaHaHa, his dog AND his girlfriend. Not just him and his dog.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3681685]It's HaHaHa, his dog AND his girlfriend. Not just him and his dog.[/QUOTE]

Yep; read the same thing. :D

Oh, I guess he should bring a good book to read.

Jets Insider VIP
    I have a herding dog too and I highly doubt he will get lost. But knowing the sense of direction that most women have, the GPS collar may still be a good idea.