Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Kid, and the Rule of 10

My Kid, and the Rule of 10

I've always tried to be a supportive father for my son. He has been into sports since he was old enough to pick up a ball. The first 10 years of his life, I've tolerated his nonsense when it comes to rooting for professional sports teams.

I grew up a Mets and Jets fan. My son has been a rebel since birth and went Yankees-Patriots on me. Yankees I get, since his mom's father is a huge Yankees fan. But the Patriots thing I think was just a spiteful, stick dad's nose in it kind of thing.

Now, all of a sudden, at age 11, he want's to jump on the Jets bandwagon.

I told him no.

I told him he could never be a Jets fan and that he was now eternally tied to the Patriots. I believe in the "Rule of 10", which means that whatever teams you root for when you're 10 you are tied to for the rest of your life and if you change after that you're a fraud.

I believe my son is a fraud. I love the kid, but he's a fraud. I can't take him seriously. I've lost a lot of respect for him.

Am I being too hard on the youngster?

He sees his old man and wants to be like him now. Let him in, we need as much support as we can.

Jets Insider VIP
    Make him sleep in the doghouse tonight.

Or preferably when it's raining.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

SHirley, you jest.

When you do let him in though, you have put him through a strenuous test for approval that includes testing, a physical challenge and a statistics lesson with DWC. If he can endure all 3 (especially the DWC one) he's in.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not being a NY native, its been my understanding, which teams you choose(JETS/METS) or (giants\yankees), depend on your relationship with your father. YOU WANT YOUR KID TO SUFFER? Let him suffer like teh rest uf us.

So by this rationale that means i am tied to this cotdamn team?!! FAAAAACK!

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3680827]I've always tried to be a supportive father for my son. He has been into sports since he was old enough to pick up a ball. The first 10 years of his life, I've tolerated his nonsense when it comes to rooting for professional sports teams.

I grew up a Mets and Jets fan. My son has been a rebel since birth and went Yankees-Patriots on me. Yankees I get, since his mom's father is a huge Yankees fan. But the Patriots thing I think was just a spiteful, stick dad's nose in it kind of thing.

I told him no.

I told him he could never be a Jets fan and that he was now eternally tied to the Patriots. I believe in the "Rule of 10", which means that whatever teams you root for when you're 10 you are tied to for the rest of your life and if you change after that you're a fraud.

I believe my son is a fraud. I love the kid, but he's a fraud. I can't take him seriously. I've lost a lot of respect for him.

[B]Am I being too hard on the youngster?[/B][/QUOTE]

yes, you're being too hard on your kid.

you should kiss and make up, like Tom Brady and his dad:

[IMG]http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/brady-and-dad.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3680850]yes, you're being too hard on your kid.

you should kiss and make up, like Tom Brady and his dad:

[IMG]http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/brady-and-dad.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Thats cold, Dirt.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3680827]I've always tried to be a supportive father for my son. He has been into sports since he was old enough to pick up a ball. The first 10 years of his life, I've tolerated his nonsense when it comes to rooting for professional sports teams.

I told him no.

Am I being too hard on the youngster?[/QUOTE]

Well, iffin you are indeed serious...I would be more upset if he waited until they won the SB....by doing it now, perhaps he realizes he needs your approval more than he thought, and he is seeking it now.

I'd give him a pass, with lots of man-forming b*ll breaking just to keep him humble.

I dont think kids can be frauds at 11. Know it alls, yeah.

All League
    let him in to the Good Side...

BUT WARN HIM!!!!! tell him that he must stay on our side, and never go back!

My 2 sons ar Yankee-Jet fans juz like me.... they didnt have a choice, ya know?

Good luck, and may the Jets be with you.

You really want to teach him a lesson? Let him switch!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I told him no.

it's funny but i feel the same way about people who all of a sudden became Jets fans in 1997- where the fuq were they the prior ten years...

Jets Insider VIP
    sorry kid. once a pats fan, you can never root for the jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You should let him on, he is your son. If you have season tix, or a PSL, you must let him on, besides one less patriot fan makes for a better world.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kick him to the curb and start over with a new kid.:alien:

Seriously, I'd let him in and help him to embrace it. I'd start with SBIII, the OT shootout with the Dolphins, Monday Night Miracle, stuff like that. One of the most cherished things I share with my dad is the ability to just start up a conversation about the Jets, and I'm 41. So definitely worth it.:yes:

Undrafted Free Agent

I told him no.

I did the same thing when I was young, my dad was a Giants/Yank fan, so I went with the Mets/Jets...I never changed and it always made for some good conversation. My dad has had a lot more celebrating to do throughout the years. We both root for the Rangers and the Knicks though....As for the changeover, what the hell!!! Its your boy, let him come over to the green and white!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3680833]He sees his old man and wants to be like him now. Let him in, we need as much support as we can.[/QUOTE]

+1

Growing up as a young kid I rooted for the Yankees. Right around when I turned 10 I followed my dad and went to the Mets.

Wait on 2nd thought, your kid is probably better off sticking with the Pats.

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3680854]Thats cold, Dirt.[/QUOTE]

i figured it was appropriate given that his son is a Pasts* fan... :dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    Challenge him to a duel. Let him pick the weapon. Fight him with your weaker arm tied behind your back, on one leg, and wearing an eye patch. If he wins, he can switch. If he loses, he has to get a Patriots tattoo on the small of his back. Tomorrow.