Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: CROPSEY

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

CROPSEY

Has anyone seen this documentary about Andre Rand and the murders/kidnapping of children from Staten Island in the 80's?

It was on Discovery I.D. last night.

Amazing, but very sad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3682608]Has anyone seen this documentary about Andre Rand and the murders/kidnapping of children from Staten Island in the 80's?

It was on Discovery I.D. last night.

Amazing, but very sad.[/QUOTE]

Ack, I forgot about it! I'm sure it's on again, so I will watch it. I grew up while this was going on, it was a scary time to be a kid on SI.

EDIT- I can't find it in the guide. This sucks...

Torrents FTW?
    Last edited by Jetworks; 08-14-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caught bits of it last night.

Freaky ****.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3682630]Ack, I forgot about it! I'm sure it's on again, so I will watch it. I grew up while this was going on, it was a scary time to be a kid on SI.

EDIT- I can't find it in the guide. This sucks...

Torrents FTW?[/QUOTE]

Not sure when it's on again. Searched my guide also.

Ham this guy worked at the Willowbrook Institution that Geraldo exposed in the 70's.

My sister was in school with the one girl and the young black girl who was taken right off Forest Avenue was right behind my old house on Spartan Avenue, crazy stuff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3682789]I don't know why people like this can't just do the honorable thing and kill themselves.

Seriously, if you are so deranged that you would have an uncontrollable compulsion to hurt children, on same level (even in a state of derangement) you have to know that is demonic, so why not do the honorable thing, stick a pistol in your mouth and pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Because they're sexual sadists...

Their pleasure is derived from the pain and torture of others.

Fromm hit the nail pretty squarely...

[quote]the core of sadism ... is the passion to have absolute and unrestricted control over living beings, ... whether an animal, child, a man or a woman. To force someone to endure pain or humiliation without being able to defend himself is one of the manifestations of absolute control, but it is by no means the only one. The person who has complete control over another living being makes this being into his thing, his property, while he becomes the other being's god[/quote]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kind of stuff has always bothered me, more than anything else, and like I said, I remember these events particularly as I grew up here during all of it.

The Willowbrook situation is really hard on me personally given my daughter's condition of profound autism. I worry constantly what her fate may be when I am long gone and she is left to the care of others who may or may not have her best interests at heart. While not outliving your child is considered the penultimate horror for a parent, I can assure you the wish of a parent to outlive their child is far, far more depressing and scary, and all too common among those who have children with disabilities. That is why I have such disdain for this particular predator, Andre Rand. He is the bogeyman that keeps parents such as my wife and I awake at night.

There tends to be a bit of an apathetic response from the general public when it comes to tragic events surrounding people with developmental disabilities. It has been proposed that this stems from an inability to empathize with something few people have practical knowledge of, which is understandable, I suppose. Such was not the case with poor Jennifer Schweiger. The public rallied to find her, and by doing so, put this depraved animal away for the rest of his existence.

I found a torrent, and I'm looking forward to watching this. Thanks again for reminding me about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3682976]Its a cruel world, Jetworks, and when I read a post like yours I know I'm right for not turning a blind eye to cruelty even if it would be so much easier and less confrontational. I read a post like your and I'll ALWAYS confront cruelty, ALWAYS, and I don't care what it cost me. I pray to GOD if I ever saw anyone mistreating your precious daughter I would have the courage to lay down my life to defend her if necessary.[/QUOTE]

That is all we can hope for, Ham. I have no doubt that you have more than enough courage to confront the cowards who prey upon those who are unable to sufficiently defend themselves. Knowing that there are people in the world who feel the way you do and will ensure that they pass along this type of caring to their children is comforting. I, for one, thank you for that.

-Tommy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3682871]This kind of stuff has always bothered me, more than anything else, and like I said, I remember these events particularly as I grew up here during all of it.

The Willowbrook situation is really hard on me personally given my daughter's condition of profound autism. I worry constantly what her fate may be when I am long gone and she is left to the care of others who may or may not have her best interests at heart. While not outliving your child is considered the penultimate horror for a parent, I can assure you the wish of a parent to outlive their child is far, far more depressing and scary, and all too common among those who have children with disabilities. That is why I have such disdain for this particular predator, Andre Rand. He is the bogeyman that keeps parents such as my wife and I awake at night.

There tends to be a bit of an apathetic response from the general public when it comes to tragic events surrounding people with developmental disabilities. It has been proposed that this stems from an inability to empathize with something few people have practical knowledge of, which is understandable, I suppose. Such was not the case with poor Jennifer Schweiger. The public rallied to find her, and by doing so, put this depraved animal away for the rest of his existence.

I found a torrent, and I'm looking forward to watching this. Thanks again for reminding me about it.[/QUOTE]

Where on the Island do you live?

When Jennifer was kidnapped I was 6 years old. While watching this late last night (watched the 1:00 a.m. showing) with my wife, I started freaking out because I remembered her. Not sure how, maybe I saw the fliers, or maybe I saw her around since I also went to P.S. 22, it was really freaky and scary. I didn't sleep well last night because of that image + the story itself which is horrible (being a father now, I couldn't imagine such a thing happening to my family).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hughes case is still active and few years before I retired, we got a tip on a possible location for her body. We did some excavation in the back of some S.I. sh*twholes backyard with Missing Persons Squad/ Emergency Service Squad/ Medical Examiners Office personel with no luck.

We found some old animal bones, but thats it.

I have to say, not being involved with the original investigation, reading the case folder...knowing her story...it was a chilling, sad feeling watching the excavation of that yard....and even sadder walking away with some cow bones and no closure for the family.

Rand was also locked up for raping some 12-13 year old girl in the Bronx years before these girls were killed, iffin I remember correctly, with his then "wife" present in the car for the rape.:rolleyes:

Evil personified.
    Last edited by 32green; 08-14-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched it. I thought it was fairly well done. Sad story - but good to bring it to the forefront again, since several of the cases are still unsolved. It will be on again. If you DVR it, be sure to DVR both episodes. They were on back to back last night. Rather than have one 2-hour show, ID broke it into two 1 hour segments, so be sure to record both.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mike D;3683040]Where on the Island do you live?

[/QUOTE]

I'm on the North Shore now, but originally from Great Kills. You?

I remember seeing the posters all over the place, too. It was a depressing summer when she disappeared. I understand this is part of what the film focuses on, right?

I got a torrent. I didn't see it anywhere in the FiOS guide. Do you guys who watched it last night have another provider?

EDIT- The torrent requires a special codec that likely includes some form of tracking. Just out of curiosity I checked it anyway and discovered the link is broken, lol. If anyone remembers to keep an eye out for it, a heads-up would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 08-15-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3682976]Its a cruel world, Jetworks, and when I read a post like yours I know I'm right for not turning a blind eye to cruelty even if it would be so much easier and less confrontational. I read a post like yours and I'll ALWAYS confront cruelty, ALWAYS, and I don't care what it cost me. I pray to GOD if I ever saw anyone mistreating your precious daughter I would have the courage to lay down my life to defend her if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Last year I started a little baseball program in our town for special needs kids. We had 40 kids with everything from Down syndrome, to autism, to ADD, physical and mental disabilities...even a few kids in wheelchairs and one child with partial blindness. Best thing I've ever done. I fell in love with them. No doubt in my mind that I would be willing to die defending any one of those kids, and all kids like them - as a matter of fact, I'd go to the mat for any kid if I ever saw something going down. I have a feeling you would too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have DTV. I don't see it listed again, but I'm sure they will re-air it. It was on Discovery ID.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3683441]I'm on the North Shore now, but originally from Great Kills. You?

I remember seeing the posters all over the place, too. It was a depressing summer when she disappeared. I understand this is part of what the film focuses on, right?

I got a torrent. I didn't see it anywhere in the FiOS guide. Do you guys who watched it last night have another provider?

EDIT- The torrent requires a special codec that likely includes some form of tracking. Just out of curiosity I checked it anyway and discovered the link is broken, lol. If anyone remembers to keep an eye out for it, a heads-up would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Lived in South Gate for a while (Spartan Ave), then moved over to Annadale. Lived in Florida (too long), and now back in Jersey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would really appreciate a heads up if anyone sees this coming back on

Thanks