Thread: Off-road truck kills 8 in California

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Off-road truck kills 8 in California

[url]http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/08/15/california.racing.deaths/index.html?hpt=C1#fbid=KYGgLSzQsrk&wom=false[/url]

(CNN) -- At least eight people were killed when an off-road race truck plowed into a crowd in Southern California on Saturday night, authorities said.

Six were pronounced dead at the scene around 7:48 p.m. local time, said Tim Franke of the San Bernardino County Fire Department.

The California Highway Patrol said Sunday the final death toll was eight.

Deadly road race: What were the rules? Video

Four more were transported to hospitals via air ambulance in serious condition.

Five others were transported with minor to moderate injuries.

Eight air ambulances and several engine companies responded to the scene.

The race was in the Lucerne Valley area of San Bernardino County, Franke said.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did they finish the race?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of crashing...I laid my bike down last night coming back from a party I was at. I've done it a few times before in my life...nothing serious. Went to the ER this morning cause I suspected I cracked one of my ribs....I was right.

Now, I dread every time I have to cough or sneeze. Funny thing is that there isn't any damage on the bike aside from a scratch on the handgrips, the front turn signal and the guards on the exhaust (they work)

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/IMG00487.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3683623]Speaking of crashing...I laid my bike down last night coming back from a party I was at. I've done it a few times before in my life...nothing serious. Went to the ER this morning cause I suspected I cracked one of my ribs....I was right.

Now, I dread every time I have to cough or sneeze. Funny thing is that there isn't any damage on the bike aside from a scratch on the handgrips, the front turn signal and the guards on the exhaust (they work)

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/IMG00487.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That sucks, Dude...sorry to hear that.

More importantly, are you wearing a Minute Maid orange juice t-shirt??? :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3683677]More importantly, are you wearing a Minute Maid orange juice t-shirt??? :P[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! Free shwag I got from the cool old ladies that hand out food samples at ShopRite :)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3683623]Speaking of crashing...I laid my bike down last night coming back from a party I was at. I've done it a few times before in my life...nothing serious. Went to the ER this morning cause I suspected I cracked one of my ribs....I was right.

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/IMG00487.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I hope you dont have to wear long sleeve shirts, as that rash is going to stick something fierce!!!:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Video surveillance from a store near the party Plumber was at...

[IMG]http://www.jokesandhumor.com/jokes/pictures/cycle.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Enough about these dead people....

;)

Btw, at which point is it going to occur to you that you are someones father, you nimrod. You are going to kill yourself.

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3683993]Btw, at which point is it going to occur to you that you are someones father, you nimrod. You are going to kill yourself.

:D[/QUOTE]

Scary thought. Me being someones father :eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3683623]
    Funny thing is that there isn't any damage on the bike aside from a scratch on the handgrips, the front turn signal and the guards on the exhaust (they work)[/QUOTE]

Good thing you shielded the bike from being scratched with your body.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two of my employees were almost killed this morning on the LIE. One is my foreman and his cousin also works for me.

One was on the way to work this morning on the Long Island Expressway and got a flat tire. The tire came right off the rim and he could not get his car all the way off the road. So he called his cousin. My foreman took some orange cones from work and pulled up behind his cousin's car leaving a little space to work to change the tire.

He got out of the car and immediately started putting the cones out. He had just put the last cone down when he saw a tractor trailer hauling ass right toward him. He had nowhere to run so he jumped up on the concrete guardrail just before the tractor trailer slammed into his car. His car burst into flames and the tractor trailer jackknifed as it pushed his car forward toward his cousin. Like my foreman, the other guy had nowhere to go but to jump up on the concrete guardrail as the tractor trailer plowed the first car into his car.

Thinking his cousin had just been killed he ran back and started screaming for him before finally seeing him alive. The tractor trailer jackknifed all the way across the LIE and closed the road.

Fortunately both guys are ok but very shaken to the point of having tears in their eyes. They both wanted to work to keep their minds off of it but then had a change of heart and both wanted to go home and see their families so I had my assistant take them home.

As I told them, you can replace a car. just thank God your alive.

[SIZE="4"][B]Crash at Nassau-Queens border backs up LIE[/B][/SIZE]

Originally published: August 16, 2010 7:48 AM
    By JOHN VALENTI [email]john.valenti@newsday.com[/email]

[B]A truck fire early Monday morning caused delays[/B]

[IMG]http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.2213632.1281953104!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.jpg[/IMG]
    Photo credit: traffic cam screengrab | A truck fire early Monday morning caused delays on the Long Island Expressway. (Aug. 16, 2010)

A fiery early-morning crash involving a tractor-trailer, a car and a minivan snarled traffic on the Long Island Expressway at the Nassau-Queens border Monday, making a mess of the morning commute.

The crash occurred at 5:22 a.m. on the eastbound LIE between the Cross Island Parkway and Exit 32, Little Neck Parkway. All lanes of the eastbound roadway remained closed until just after 6 a.m., when two lanes were reopened. All lanes were reopened at 6:41 a.m., according to the New York State Department of Transportation.

Police could not immediately say if anyone was injured.

The tractor-trailed and van appeared heavily damaged by fire following the crash.

The three vehicles were pushed up against the right-hand side retaining wall. The tractor-trailer was jackknifed.

The crash backed up eastbound traffic to Springfield Boulevard in Queens.

Westbound traffic was backed up to Shelter Rock Road, Exit 35, in North Hills.