Thread: Mets looking into the possibility of voiding K-Rod's contract

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets looking into the possibility of voiding K-Rod's contract

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0woJMrJfo

Mets consider trying to void Rodriguez's contract

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Mets are looking into the possibility of voiding closer Francisco Rodriguez's contract, SI.com has learned. If the team is successful in doing so, they could save at least $17 million, and potentially more.

They are looking into whether the contract, for $37 million over three years, can be voided based on Rodriguez injuring himself outside the course of play. Rodriguez suffered torn thumb ligaments during a fight with his girlfriend's father. Rodriguez has been charged with assault in the case.

Rodriguez has apologized for the incident, but that might not get him off the hook. Team sources suggest the voiding of the contract is something that's on the table for team higher-ups.

Rodriguez's salary is $11.5 million in 2010 and also in 2011. He has a $17.5 million vesting option for 2012 with a $3.5 million buyout. That option vests with 100 games finished in 2010 and 2011 combined or 55 games finished in '11, so it's unlikely the option would go into affect anyway.

The players union might have a position on this though, as the Mets were only able to suspend Rodriguez initially for two games due to the power of the players union.

General manager Omar Minaya said publicly the team didn't regret the contract. But perhaps behind the scenes, there are different thoughts being discussed.
    I doubt they will be able to do it.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    *facepalm*

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

I love how he apoligized for it.

"I'm really sorry in beat my father in law and embarressed the franchize. Can I still have my 17 million?"

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

I hope you are wrong. I believe MLB player contracts do not allow players to skydive, ski, waterski, etc...

Hopefully there is language about being involved and or injuring yourself in a brawl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are fortunate in this case that they have the event on camera with a ton of eyewitnesses, so he cant really dispute the fact. The fact that he pitched in between the fight and the announcement means he might leverage that defense, but if the doctors say the wound is consistent with punching something then he doesnt have a leg to stand on. At that point it would just be a matter of wrangling with the strongest union in sports

The one thing they might risk is one fuming and pissed off K-Rod if they fail to void the deal. I cant imagine hes taking this well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    The fact that he pitched in between the fight and the announcement means he might leverage that defense,
    First thing I thought....how stupid could they be?

Wouldnt an absolutely thorough physical exam of his hands be in order after a punching incident like that? AN exam that should clearly show the type of damage he has now?

How can they turn around now and say "oh we didnt know"?

Any competent ATTY will point to his pitching appearance as an example of how he was fine after the fight.

Its stunning to me how that organization is run, and I dont mean that as a bash of Met fans, I mean that in defense of Met fans that have been put through the ringer by these amateurs...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    First thing I thought....how stupid could they be?

Wouldnt an absolutely thorough physical exam of his hands be in order after a punching incident like that? AN exam that should clearly show the type of damage he has now?

How can they turn around now and say "oh we didnt know"?

Any competent ATTY will point to his pitching appearance as an example of how he was fine after the fight.

Its stunning to me how that organization is run, and I dont mean that as a bash of Met fans, I mean that in defense of Met fans that have been put through the ringer by these amateurs...
    Why would he see the doctors unless he complained about suffering any sort of pain in his hand (or elsewheres)? Which obviously didn't happen. That makes no sense, there's no reason he should have a standard physical for the hell of it because of that incident, only if he openly complained to team doctors about being in pain. Plus, it certainty wouldn't be the first time someone happened to play hurt. And I'm sure there's plenty of doctors who can examine his hand and determine if the injury is consistent with a punch or from throwing a baseball. I don't think that's a big deal at all.

And I do think there is some precedent already set with the Shawn Chacon situation. For those who don't remember, he assaulted his teams GM in 2008, had his contract terminated as a result, and just recently lost his appeal. And he didn't even injure himself in the process.

Not sure if the Mets would bother to go down that road, in that it's a long legal battle I'm sure, and he's still a pretty ****ing good pitcher and it would be hard to replace him for next year. But it isn't his first anger-related incident with this team (and probably not his 2nd or 3rd either) so maybe they're just sick of it and looking for an out.

I'm just in disbelief at what a trainwreck this entire situation is though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Why would he see the doctors unless he complained about suffering any sort of pain in his hand (or elsewheres)? .
    I'm talking about the Mets covering their own arses...Not many non-professionals can punch another human being in the head repeatedly without suffering some sort of injury of their own. They should have Demanded an exam, anticipating that he most probably injured himself.

For gawds sake, he was in the stadium for nearly 24 hours following the event...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm talking about the Mets covering their own arses...Not many non-professionals can punch another human being in the head repeatedly without suffering some sort of injury of their own. They should have Demanded an exam, anticipating that he most probably injured himself.

For gawds sake, he was in the stadium for nearly 24 hours following the event...
    I'm a Met fan, and I'm in agreement with this. I have seldom if ever witnessed an organization that so consistently messes up every event that is even slightly out of the ordinary. I'm still trying to absorb putting Ryan Church on an airplane after a concussion. Just amazing.

Bring back Lorinda de Roulet!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

So they should have given a player who was not complaining about any physical ailments a physical just for the hell of it?

Are you on drugs?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you on drugs?
    So....this is shut-down posting?

lmao

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope this fits your approval better....

Mets Press Release

FLUSHING, N.Y., August 17, 2010 -- The New York Mets on Tuesday announced that they have placed pitcher Francisco Rodriguez on the Disqualified List for conduct in violation of his Uniform Player's Contract.

In addition, the Mets notified the player, his agent, and the MLB Players Association that it has exercised its right to convert Rodriguez's contract with the club to a non-guaranteed contract.

The Mets' decision follows the season-ending injury to the thumb on Rodriguez's right pitching hand as a result of an altercation following last Wednesday night's game at Citi Field.

Rodriguez will not be paid or accrue major-league service time while on the Disqualified List.

Dr. Andrew Weiland of the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan this afternoon performed successful surgery to repair the torn ligament in Rodriguez's thumb this afternoon.
    So essentially...

- The Mets plan on having K-Rod on the "Disqualified" list until he's healthy enough to Pitch again, where he will not be paid.

- They are "excersing their right" to make the remainder of his contract non-guaranteed. Which, According to Adam Rubin...

Players with nonguranteed deals essentially can be cut at points during spring training, with the club only responsible for 30 or 45 days’ pay depending on the timing of the dismissal.
    The union has already spoken out

Union head Mike Weiner on K-Rod: The #Mets actions are without basis and I expect the union will challenge them right away
    - Joel Sherman twitter

Oh, and as to our little debate earlier.

The Mets and Rodriguez say he injured his thumb during the alleged altercation at Citi Field, according to their trainers, who say he did not complain of the injury on Saturday, which is why he was allowed to pitch.

Yes, Rodriguez said that to the trainers… ouch… seems to me that will hurt his case
    MetsBlog

- The Mets claim K-Rod told trainers that he hurt his thumb in the incident
    - And he did not complain about any injuries prior to that appearance. Hence, why he was allowed to pitch.

Shutdown enough for you?
    Last edited by Ven0m; 08-17-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Shutdown enough for you?
    At least it wasnt a reference to me being on drugs.....but not shutdown by any means.

If the Mets had half a brain, KRod would have been looked at by Mets Dr.'s prior to his first post incident appearance regardless of any claim that he was fine for the reasons I delineated before..its almost a certainty he would suffer some sort of injuries.

Of course KRod wouldnt want them to know he was hurt, how could that help his case?

Plus, with the adrenaline of the incident still flowing, he might have not felt anything at first...but any competent Dr. on the staff should have anticipated that there would be a good reason to check him out.

If he steadfastly refused to have any exam done, it should have been documented by the Mets. If its a matter of contractual obligation to acquiesce to a medical exam by team physicians at any point they deem nec., then even more compelling.
    Last edited by 32green; 08-17-2010 at 09:37 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets place Frankie on disqualified list

The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, giving them the option to convert Rodriguez's contract into a non-guaranteed one.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    K-Rods fall from grace is amazing to me, a few years ago while with the angels he was regarded as one of the best in the game, then as soon as he goes to the mets he just becomes a total schmuck (like the rest of the mets)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

- They are "excersing their right" to make the remainder of his contract non-guaranteed. Which, According to Adam Rubin...

I'd be very surprised if the Mets can do this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets should have examined his hand after the fight. And maybe they did. But KRod is also responsible for being up front about any pain or discomfort he was experiencing after the fight. If he hid any symptoms from the trainers and medical staff, that goes against his contract, too. In this case he had some reason to hide the truth.
    A torn ligament in the thumb that requires surgery to repair would I think be fairly obvious on physical exam. He definitely should have been checked out after the fight, before he pitched again, especially if the Mets were considering voiding his contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'd be very surprised if the Mets can do this.
    Probably not, but they likely have a better chance of that then an outright voiding of his contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably not, but they likely have a better chance of that then an outright voiding of his contract.

I would think K-rod would rather have his contract voided. Then he could move on and sign a guaranteed (no doubt smaller) contract elsewhere. Few things are worse for a professional athlete than a non-guaranteed contract. In MLB it might be considered a slap in the face.