Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lupica- Padres teach Yankees a valuable lesson

All League

Lupica- Padres teach Yankees a valuable lesson

only 1.5 games.......oh & $173mm.....separating the Padres & the Yanks. DISCUSS

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...le_lesson.html

All League
    "The fact that the Yankees have won only once since 2000 after having spent a couple of billion dollars on players & revenue sharing & luxury taxes remains one of the most amazing baseball statistics of all time, up there with Joe Dimaggio's streak, or Cal Ripken's, or the size of Barry Bonds' head"

BOOM

JetsFan2012
    It'd be a better comparison if they were in the same division, let alone league.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    It'd be a better comparison if they were in the same division, let alone league.

not sure, Paulie...but i'm pretty sure he was comparing how the teams were put together..you know, built.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    not sure, Paulie...but i'm pretty sure he was comparing how the teams were put together..you know, built.
    I think it matters because of the level of competition in each league. If you want to compare the Rays and the Yankees, that makes a lot more sense.

But in the National League, the Mets trail the Padres 7.5 games and pay their players $98 million more than San Diego. The horrible Cubs are 22 games behind the Padres in the win column, and outpay their players by $108 million.

If you go by division, the Giants are 6 games back of the Padres, and shell out $60 million more.

Of course, Mike Lupica never really cared about being intellectually honest.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think it matters because of the level of competition in each league. If you want to compare the Rays and the Yankees, that makes a lot more sense.

But in the National League, the Mets trail the Padres 7.5 games and pay their players $98 million more than San Diego. The horrible Cubs are 22 games behind the Padres in the win column, and outpay their players by $108 million.

If you go by division, the Giants are 6 games back of the Padres, and shell out $60 million more.

Boom!

And right about Lupica, he's a whiney little fembot who is not sure if he wants to be Olbermann or Jimmy Breslin.

The Yanks have a few more WS rings than the Padres and maybe even one recently too, so forgive me if I am not looking over my shoulder at the "Padre" business model just yet.

All Pro
    Lupica is not alone.

All Pro
    only 1.5 games.......oh & $173mm.....separating the Padres & the Yanks. DISCUSS

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...le_lesson.html
    Mets are 12 back of them and outspend them by almost $100mm......

and no mention?

All League

If you want to use those simplistic terms, then fine. The National League ALL STARS beat the American League ALL STARS this year.

BOOM

All League
    ...and as a team the Yankees rake in probably 10 times the revenue that Padres do. Not to mention that they have been to the playoffs (more revenue) every years except for 1 over the past 15 or so years...

Nice try...

JetsFan2012
    If you want to use those simplistic terms, then fine. The National League ALL STARS beat the American League ALL STARS this year.

BOOM
    lol... wut?

All League
    lol... wut?
    "it matters because of the level of competition in each league" get it thru your new MOD skull now?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    "it matters because of the level of competition in each league" get it thru your new MOD skull now?
    Guess winning the World Series means nothing using that barometer.

ANd take a week off, Tuchus134.... for disrespecting the Don.

All Pro
    lupica....

Hall Of Fame
    LOL

Tucker and Schroy should have a thread starting contest.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Guess winning the World Series means nothing using that barometer.

ANd take a week off, Tuchus134.... for disrespecting the Don.
    You're the Clemenza to my Vito Corleone.

Banned
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-19-2010 at 07:08 PM.

All Pro
    Mets suck and so do you.

Seriously at this point, it is hard to care about this nonsense. I'm a Met fan, and the Mets have all the resources to put a competitive team on the field, but we have a bunch of dolts running the team. The Yankees make solid decisions, give them credit. I don't have much respect for Yankee fans, but how can you not respect how they put a winning team on the field every year?

All League
    This would be a valid comparison if the Padres, you know, actually WON CONSISTENTLY and weren't just consistently up and down because they clean house every few years before bringing a new batch up from the minors. Credit to them for having a great farm system but the core of these Yankee teams was and still is built on their farm system as well (Mo, Jeter, Posada, Pettite, Hughes, Joba).

Would also help if they actually had a World Series title or two to their credit, or had been to at least ONE since 2000. Neither of which is the case.

So, wait until they win something first, then compare them to the Yankees.
    Last edited by Cole; 08-19-2010 at 07:25 PM.