Thread: Your first impressions of Ivan Nova?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Your first impressions of Ivan Nova?

Arod on DL...

Nova is pitching Monday...

HAM gets his wish.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Arod on DL...

HAM gets his wish.

A-Rod to the DL, Nova called up

Alex Rodriguez will go on the disabled list because of that calf injury.

Were going to play it safe, Joe Girardi said. We dont think hes any worse than the time before.

Ivan Nova will take the open roster spot and start on Monday. Everyone in the rotation will be pushed back a day.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really looking forward to seeing Nova pitch!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As per lhblogs.com

"The plan for Nova (sort of)
    The Yankees have a plan for Ivan Nova. That plan is to start him on Monday. After that, everything is a great unknown.

Very few questions can be answered fully, but here’s what is known at this point.

Will Javier Vazquez make his next start?
    Girardi: I haven’t changed the rotation yet. We’re just pushing everybody back.

Will this become a six-man rotation?
    Girardi: I don’t think so right now. We do have an off day and we don’t have any stretches like this the rest of the year. It might be something we have to look at but sitting here right now, it’s not what I’m assuming we’re going to do.

Will the Yankees split Vazquez and A.J. Burnett (so Cervelli can catch both of them)?
    Girardi: That’s something that I will look at.

Will this impact Phil Hughes’ innings?
    Girardi: I’m not really looking at that. We just feel that the guys could use an extra day. Obviously we hope that he pitches very well and he can be impactful for us, but that’s getting a little too far ahead right now.

Will Nova stick around for more than one start?
    Girardi: I just met with (Brian Cashman) and then I came in here. We didn’t talk about it for a half an hour. The greatest problem would be that he pitches extremely well Monday."

Nova is here to stay IMO. If he pitches good enough, Girardi might skip a start or 2 for Vazquez or Burnett. And of course with Hughes pitch limit, Nova might start in place of him down the stretch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I edited the title of this thread so we could discuss Nova's first outting.

Okay, we lost the game and Girardi over-managed with his quick (and totally unneccessary) quick hook, but that aside, what were everyones impressions with Ivan Nova?

I think the kid pitched exceptionally all things considered (first big league start verses a lethal offense in a hitters ball-park) and its no secret I love power pitchers so you know I love that mid 90's fastball topping out at 98, and I love the toughness he showed as well, not backing down one inch when Bautista approached the mound.

So I was very impressed with the young man and I think he has a bright future.

How bout you?
    For his first major league start, I was very impressed. Certainly has life on his fastball. Didn't really have his breaking ball, but not really concerned about that seeing how that seems to be his best pitch. Benefited from the Gardner assist in the first, but bounced back very nicely after that.

Interesting point that Singleton and Flaherty brought up in the first inning. Eiland's scouting report on him says that he doesn't really paint the corners, but works halves of the plate.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I edited the title of this thread so we could discuss Nova's first outting.

Okay, we lost the game and Girardi over-managed with his quick (and totally unneccessary) quick hook, but that aside, what were everyones impressions with Ivan Nova?

I think the kid pitched exceptionally all things considered (first big league start verses a lethal offense in a hitters ball-park) and its no secret I love power pitchers so you know I love that mid 90's fastball topping out at 98, and I love the toughness he showed as well, not backing down one inch when Bautista approached the mound.

So I was very impressed with the young man and I think he has a bright future.

How bout you?
    Agreed Ham. Fiery presence on the mound too.

Glad he didnt take a (L).

He should be proud.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Command needs to be better, curve ball needs to be better. Way too many pitches up in the zone. Other than that.. not bad. His change up looked like a average to plus pitch, that was surprising. I've read his best pitch is his curve ball. So if he has a plus curve, plus fastball, and a decent curve.. he could be a real good starter.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 08-23-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Arod on DL...

HAM gets his wish.
    I have to say, this is a great thread I started.

Wish I'd thought of it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i liked what i saw...after a shaky start in the first he didnt get rattled and kept his composure. Like Tyler said he needs to get better command on the curveball but his fastball looked good. I didnt expect anything better then tonight. wish girardi kept him in there but so it goes with young fire ballers. and +1 ham on him not backing down towards Bautista. I hate guys like him that watch there homeruns, and i especially dont like the player in general. All around good preformance and ill think he'll do fine in his role, whatever it may be in the rest of the season

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of these days you guys are gonna realize I do know something about baseball
    Wait a minute. Didn't you want Marcus Thames released so we could keep Colin Curtis?(just busting your b*lls a little,no offense intended)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hammer's a passionate fan, and he's passionate about the teams that MATTER