Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you an "all around" sports guy?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you an "all around" sports guy?

What skills do you possess? Do you play, referee or coach any sports? I am around sports 14 hours a day since my retirement from the Army. I am not currently refereeing but I have refereed basketball, softball, volleyball, football. I have coached mainly 1-2 graders. I play basketball, volleyball, racquetball, softball, football, 1/2 marathons, swimming competitions and golf. Sports has been my way of life and I love it.
    Last edited by 82nd Airborne; 08-22-2010 at 09:20 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3693181]What skills do you possess? Do you play, referee or coach any sports? I am around sports 14 hours a day since my retirement from the Army. I am not currently refereeing but I have refereed basketball, softball, volleyball, football. I have coached mainly 1-2 graders. I play basketball, volleyball, racquetball, softball, football, 1/2 marathons, swimming competitions and golf. Sports has been my way of life and I love it.[/QUOTE]

First off, 82 I love your threads!

Because of advancing age and increased work load, all I do now is tennis and spinning and occassional golf.

I was previously involved in youth sports big time when my kids were involved. Glad I am out of that now though...started to hate it near the end. Adults ruin everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can regularly drive a golf ball 330 yards, but don't ask me to chip it 15 yards. :O:mad:

My daughter is 6 months old so I have a ways to go before I get into coaching and arguing with other parents.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3693320]I can regularly drive a golf ball 330 yards, but don't ask me to chip it 15 yards. :O:mad:

My daughter is 6 months old so I have a ways to go before I get into coaching and arguing with other parents.[/QUOTE]

No, send her to 6 month old softball camp and get her a personal trainer NOW!!!!!!!!!

(330??? Holy chit....straight?)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Used to be into it in a big way, less so now. Brought up in a small country town and this was pre-computer/XBox etc days, so nothing else other to do. Sport still turns my world, however in terms of spectating. Still run a bit. Get my adrenaline fix from hold em these days.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Are you an "all around" sports guy?[/QUOTE]

No.

As a player (in my youth) I was Baseball 98%, Football 1.5%, Golf 0.5%

As a Fan (now) I am Football 99%, Baseball/Golf 1%.

In terms of activity, it's only golf now, due to serious knee injries that remain unrepaiered.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will be venturing into the world of golf soon. Does Madden count?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3693377]No.

As a player (in my youth) I was Baseball 98%, Football 1.5%, Golf 0.5%

As a Fan (now) I am Football 99%, Baseball/Golf 1%.

In terms of activity, it's only golf now, due to serious knee injries that remain unrepaiered.[/QUOTE]

Extremely lucky to go through a very physical football career with no knee injuries. Actually put it down to a lack of flexibility, ie couldn't really bend down at the knees because of lack of flex in the surrounding muscle and hence didn't put my knees in danger.
    Last edited by Soberphobia; 08-22-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to play baseball and football when I was little. When I got to high school I focused on wrastling all year (I regret not playing football). I'm starting to despise baseball as I get older as it is not the same game anymore. I currently do jiu jitsu, box occasionally and follow MMA.

Football and wrestling will always be my passion but I regret every single day of my life not playing football.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3693310]First off, 82 I love your threads!

Because of advancing age and increased work load, all I do now is tennis and spinning and occassional golf.

[B]I was previously involved in youth sports big time when my kids were involved. Glad I am out of that now though...started to hate it near the end. Adults ruin everything[/B].[/QUOTE]

That is the worst part about youth sports--parents teaching their children to be selfish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3693320]I can regularly drive a golf ball 330 yards, but don't ask me to chip it 15 yards. :O:mad:

My daughter is 6 months old so I have a ways to go before I get into coaching and arguing with other parents.[/QUOTE]

330 yards...that's better than most pros, actually 45 more yards than Tiger Woods average. With that said, you should hire a trainer or visit Putt Putt Golf a little bit more often.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was at the gym with the wife this morning for almost 2 hours. Kids go in the Kids Club where they play games, climb, do coloring books, etc. We're trying to make physical fitness a family activity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3693644]330 yards...that's better than most pros, actually 45 more yards than Tiger Woods average. With that said, you should hire a trainer or visit Putt Putt Golf a little bit more often.[/QUOTE]

Factoring in par 3s and short par 4s, my average is less than 330, as it is with professionals. I have no problem getting on a par 5 green in two strokes, but putting is a different story. I'm a TERRIBLE golfer 100 yards from the pin and in. All strength and no finesse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped playing golf when the kids arrived, play basketball 4-5 x's per week before work and lift. Trying to decide if I will play 9 man flag this year. Try to stay active because it is too easy to hang out and watch t.v. or Xbox.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3693759]Stopped playing golf when the kids arrived, play basketball 4-5 x's per week before work and lift. Trying to decide if I will play 9 man flag this year. Try to stay active because it is too easy to hang out and watch t.v. or Xbox.[/QUOTE]

I work out 5 times a week but to offset my mind I use Wii games, it keeps you working out. My lady enjoys the fitness program and I do sports...I say Wii is one of the best console systems because it keeps you moving and burning calories.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3693774]I work out 5 times a week but to offset my mind I use Wii games, it keeps you working out. My lady enjoys the fitness program and I do sports...I say Wii is one of the best console systems because it keeps you moving and burning calories.[/QUOTE]

Great point and idea, I just got the new Xbox and they are coming out with Kinect before X-mas. Same concept at WII.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warer sports are about the only thing I have not participated in over the years. Mostly played hockey, football and soccer. Some rec basketball. One of my big regrets was not getting into basketball when I was younger. I wasn't massively talented at the sport but i liked it and worked my ass of in games. I think I could have been a decent bball player.

No more sports for me though I do exercise every morning before work. I work pretty hard but to see really good results I'm going to have to change my eating habits. No longer does just being active cut it, grumble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm an all around sports guy myself. Although I'm getting closer to 30 these days so my body isn't responding the way it used to... basically I keep pulling hammys and I'm carrying some extra pounds from the boozing/partying I've done over the last 5 or so years. I'm still playing softball and basketball and occasionally when we can get people together we play flag football. Used to play a lot of ultimate frisbee, just played a little bit of frisbee last week actually. Just started playing golf too but that's not a sport IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I played college hockey and in the AHL but only play golf these days. I've had 5 knee surgeries and need another soon, even mens league is out of the question. Golf on the other hand is definitely a sport SS, I was a teaching pro for awhile and you need to have a great liver to become good.;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3693181]+I play basketball, volleyball, racquetball, softball, football, 1/2 marathons, swimming competitions and golf. Sports has been my way of life and I love it.[/QUOTE]Hoops was my sport until I wrecked my patella yet again. Funny thing was I could never get on the court with many All-Americans here in JC. Back then we used to play schoolyard football. Then went on to HS and Div3 college. Now noone plays pickup pigskin. Wish those hoop stars were still around. Well, maybe 2 or 3yrs ago. I'm toast. :(