Thread: 15 Biggest Box Office Bombs

JetsInsider.com Legend

15 Biggest Box Office Bombs

The 15 biggest financial disasters in movie-making history. It's amazing some of these actors and directors still have jobs, several studios weren't as lucky and were bankrupted by these flops!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38815985/

My favorite review has to be for #8...

8. Heavenís Gate (1980)
    Net losses, inflation adjusted: $104,542,449
    Total cost: $44,000,000
    Worldwide theater gross: $3,484,331
    Net losses (actual): $40,515,669

Michael Cimino, the Oscar-winning director of The Deer Hunter, followed up his highly regarded movie with an epic western called Heavenís Gate. To achieve cinematic perfection, Cimino demanded up to fifty takes of individual scenes and would delay filming until a cloud that he liked rolled into the frame. Production fell behind schedule immediately, and the movie exceeded its budget by 400%.

The movie was mercilessly thrashed by critics such as the New York Timesí Vincent Canby, who compared it to "a forced four-hour walking tour of one's own living room." It earned less than $3 million of its $44 million budget, and the studio, United Artists, folded soon after. Cimino, once a promising director with a great career ahead of him, has barely worked since 1980.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    The 15 biggest financial disasters in movie-making history. It's amazing some of these actors and directors still have jobs, several studios weren't as lucky and were bankrupted by these flops!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38815985/

My favorite review has to be for #8...
    "a forced four-hour walking tour of one's own living room."

DWC post?

All League
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    i would have to agree with Speed Racer. the movie sucked, but the original cartoon was awesome.

Veteran
    Off the top of my head, I would have added Ishtar and Tank Girl. I remember stores like Macy's and Bloomingdale's having an endless supply of Tank Girl apparel and gear ready for its anticipated success, only to have the flick, well, tank.

Charter JI Member

here's two

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBensAngel7 View Post
    i would have to agree with Speed Racer. the movie sucked, but the original cartoon was awesome.

If you liked the cartoon, how could you not like the movie? It was a good translation to live action.

A lot of comments I read were how unbelievable the "car -fu" was, which is really stupid considering. What's next? Star Trek is stupid because warp drive and transporters don't really exist? yeah ok