Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: 15 Biggest Box Office Bombs

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

15 Biggest Box Office Bombs

The 15 biggest financial disasters in movie-making history. It's amazing some of these actors and directors still have jobs, several studios weren't as lucky and were bankrupted by these flops!

[url]http://www.cnbc.com/id/38815985/[/url]

My favorite review has to be for #8...

[QUOTE][B]8. Heavenís Gate (1980)[/B]
    Net losses, inflation adjusted: $104,542,449
    Total cost: $44,000,000
    Worldwide theater gross: $3,484,331
    Net losses (actual): $40,515,669

Michael Cimino, the Oscar-winning director of The Deer Hunter, followed up his highly regarded movie with an epic western called Heavenís Gate. [B]To achieve cinematic perfection, Cimino demanded up to fifty takes of individual scenes and would delay filming until a cloud that he liked rolled into the frame. Production fell behind schedule immediately, and the movie exceeded its budget by 400%.[/B]

The movie was mercilessly thrashed by critics such as the New York Timesí Vincent Canby, who compared it to [B]"a forced four-hour walking tour of one's own living room."[/B] It earned less than $3 million of its $44 million budget, and the studio, United Artists, folded soon after. Cimino, once a promising director with a great career ahead of him, has barely worked since 1980.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3698613]The 15 biggest financial disasters in movie-making history. It's amazing some of these actors and directors still have jobs, several studios weren't as lucky and were bankrupted by these flops!

[url]http://www.cnbc.com/id/38815985/[/url]

My favorite review has to be for #8...[/QUOTE]

"a forced four-hour walking tour of one's own living room."

DWC post?

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would have to agree with Speed Racer. the movie sucked, but the original cartoon was awesome.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off the top of my head, I would have added [I]Ishtar[/I] and [I]Tank Girl[/I]. I remember stores like Macy's and Bloomingdale's having an endless supply of [I]Tank Girl[/I] apparel and gear ready for its anticipated success, only to have the flick, well, tank.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.bluespherepubs.com/pages/movies/images/boy3.JPG[/IMG]

here's two

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3698691]i would have to agree with Speed Racer. the movie sucked, but the original cartoon was awesome.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

If you liked the cartoon, how could you not like the movie? It was a good translation to live action.

A lot of comments I read were how unbelievable the "car -fu" was, which is really stupid considering. What's next? Star Trek is stupid because warp drive and transporters don't really exist? yeah ok :rolleyes: :mad: