Thread: RODGERS v. SANCHEZ

RODGERS v. SANCHEZ

Not a draft question, but didn't want to put it on the main board (since it has nothing to do with Greedis) and figured you guys would give me a knowledgeable answer since you follow these players through college. . .

I'm watching the Packers/Colts game and Rodgers looks SO good. All I really know about him is he dropped on draft day.

Are his physical skills on par with Sanchez? Did Rodgers get "this good" based on his work ethic, or does he have attributes Sanchez doesn't?

I know I'm not wording my question well . . . I'm just watching the game and DROOLING to think Sanchez COULD be this good some day . . .

All League
    I think this is his 6th year in the league. People forget that

Man...Rodgers is the QB we'll be talking about for the next 10 years I think. I hope Sanchez can be 80% the QB he is.

or 100%

All League
    it is his 6th year and he had some time to watch and learn on the sidelines. Sanchez is a work in progress. he has much to learn; why can't people accept that and give him a chance to possibly develop???

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Totally correct -- gotta give Sanchez time to grow into the role.

I'm just wondering how similar they are physically to see if it's even a fair comparison to begin with. . .

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    it is his 6th year and he had some time to watch and learn on the sidelines. Sanchez is a work in progress. he has much to learn; why can't people accept that and give him a chance to possibly develop???
    Because people like joe flacco and matt ryan have set the bar high for first and second year quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    Apparently you're not a fan of reading threads in their entirety . . .

What I said was I was hoping Sanchez could look like that SOME DAY, but wasn't sure how accurate a comparison it was from a physical standpoint.

But that's OK, I get it . . . it's always easier to knock someone than give an intelligent response . . .

They are very comparable, in fact, some people likened Sanchez to Rodgers when the former was coming out. Very similar skill set.

They're both great at moving around in the pocket and throwing on the run. I read an article in ESPN's mag a couple of months ago about Rodgers taking over for Favre. It seems like he has the same intensity/commitment to football as Sanchez and the same preparation habits. Of course, Rodgers was able to sit back and learn the game behind a first ballot hall of famer, so I bet that helped a little.

Overall, I think it's fair to say that Sanchez and Rodgers have similar attributes. Let's see if Sanchez is able to develop in the same way that Rodgers has. Hopefully he will because Rodgers is a ****ing beast.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
    Man...Rodgers is the QB we'll be talking about for the next 10 years I think. I hope Sanchez can be 80% the QB he is.

or 100%
    Seriously the guy is a stud and looks like he's getting better. Plus the dude is ****ing hilarious. Hard to believe he dropped so far in the draft after there was speculation he would be the number 1 overall pick to his hometown 49ers. He allegedly said he would take less money than expected if the 9ers too him number 1 as a hometown discount to play for his favorite team.

They ****ed up real bad.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I think what he was asking (and maybe i misunderstood the question, and in that case, i'm asking) is what did rodgers look like in college compared to sanchez? did the both appear to have similar skill sets coming in to the draft, and can we hope to see sanchez look the same in a few years?

I don't know because i honestly saw very little of Aaron at Cal. that was before my scouting days.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Not a draft question, but didn't want to put it on the main board (since it has nothing to do with Greedis) and figured you guys would give me a knowledgeable answer since you follow these players through college. . .

I'm watching the Packers/Colts game and Rodgers looks SO good. All I really know about him is he dropped on draft day.

Are his physical skills on par with Sanchez? Did Rodgers get "this good" based on his work ethic, or does he have attributes Sanchez doesn't?

I know I'm not wording my question well . . . I'm just watching the game and DROOLING to think Sanchez COULD be this good some day . . .

Rodgers dropped for what were a bunch of foolish reasons...

1) he was a tedford coached QB and most of the tedford QB's to that time (dilfer, harrington) were abysmal in the nfl and that was a factor...

2) he never really threw the ball downfield at Cal- it was mostly receiver screens and the like..hence there was a big question mark...the irnoy is Alex Smith never threw the ball more than 10-15yds past the line of scrimmage the year before he entered the draft under urban meyer at Utah..

3) his pro-day was average while Smith's pro-day was top notch- i remember scouts applauding Smith after his pro day...when QB's drop everyone runs away like its a chick with open herpes sores...

as far as his physical skills, Rodgers arm is strong yetthere's no denying he really benefited sitting behind farve the first part of his career..the ability to get bigger and stronger while the body physically matures and not have to take a pounding in the pocket will reap big rewards..
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-27-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Rodgers dropped for what were a bunch of foolish reasons...

1) he was a tedford coached QB and most of the tedford QB's to that time (dilfer, harrington) were abysmal in the nfl and that was a factor...

2) he never really threw the ball downfield at Cal- it was mostly receiver screens and the like..hence there was a big question mark...the irnoy is Alex Smith never threw the ball more than 10-15yds past the line of scrimmage the year before he entered the draft under urban meyer at Utah..

3) his pro-day was average while Smith's pro-day was top notch- i remember scouts applauding Smith after his pro day...when QB's drop everyone runs away like its a chick with open herpes sores...

as far as his physical skills, Rodgers arm is strong yetthere's no denying he really benefited sitting behind farve the first part of his career..the ability to get bigger and stronger while the body physically matures and not have to take a pounding in the pocket will reap big rewards..
    I don't think they were foolish reasons at the time. I think they turned into foolish reasons.

If Rodgers had to start from Day 1 like many rookie QBs, I would argue he very well could have busted. But he went into a great situation where he got to sit for three years, change his mechanics, learn the offense, learn from Favre...

There are many player who have busted who could have been great if they fell in the right situation...and the opposite holds true, IMO.

I would hate to think what Jets fans who think of Sanchez if Schotty hasn't handled him as well as he has.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I don't think they were foolish reasons at the time. I think they turned into foolish reasons.

If Rodgers had to start from Day 1 like many rookie QBs, I would argue he very well could have busted. But he went into a great situation where he got to sit for three years, change his mechanics, learn the offense, learn from Favre...

There are many player who have busted who could have been great if they fell in the right situation...and the opposite holds true, IMO.

I would hate to think what Jets fans who think of Sanchez if Schotty hasn't handled him as well as he has.
    Jason (nyjetcap) wrote a great article about how Schotty DIDN'T handle Sanchez all that well relative to Matt Ryan and Flacco.

http://nyjetscap.com/Schottenheimer.html

I would have reposted it but there are tables and such that wouldn't carry over too well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Jason (nyjetcap) wrote a great article about how Schotty DIDN'T handle Sanchez all that well relative to Matt Ryan and Flacco.

http://nyjetscap.com/Schottenheimer.html

I would have reposted it but there are tables and such that wouldn't carry over too well.
    That was a very interesting analysis by Jason423.

All Pro
    I agree that I think Rodgers would've had a high bust chance if he went to the 49ers #1 overall.

I also think that David Carr could have been very good if he didn't get so shell shocked in his first 2 years in Texas. It was striking to watch how scared he was dropping back later in his career. He never was comfortable in the pocket after his ass raping early in his career. His internal clock was sped up 50%. even when there was no rush he would throw the ball away or into the dirt.

Rodgers has a viciously strong arm that people are just now beginning to see (he wasn't asked to throw deep or outs in college very much).

He's also exteremely fast, and a great thrower on the run. Has great pocket presence as well.

I hope that by Sanchez's 6th year, he's playing at Rodger's level. It's still too early to tell, but Rodgers is an incredible franchise QB in the making.

Veteran
    Rodgers also has great accuracy both from the pocket and on the run, which is one of the key components of being a great QB