Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strasburg is officially f***ed [He needs Tommy John Surgery]

All League

Strasburg is officially f***ed [He needs Tommy John Surgery]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Horrible!

All Pro
    What a shame. Usually with TJ surgery you need a year to recover and most pitchers spend the whole season after that regaining their arm strength, mechanics, etc. It's not the end of the world though. A lot of pitchers comeback strong from this surgery. Didn't Josh Johnson of the Marlins have the same thing? And now he's the ace of the Marlins staff.

But this is why you err on the sidfe of caution with young pitchers. I know it's frustrating with things like innings limits, "Joba Rules", etc. but if it saves a future ace or top of the rotation pitcher or star reliever from getting seriously injured, then do it. Not everyone can throw like Nolan Ryan.

I really hope this kid doesn't end up like Pryor or Wood!

Jets Insider VIP
    Oh, man, that's awful.

That said, it's a pretty standard procedure but he won't be good until 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    What a shame. Usually with TJ surgery you need a year to recover and most pitchers spend the whole season after that regaining their arm strength, mechanics, etc. It's not the end of the world though. A lot of pitchers comeback strong from this surgery. Didn't Josh Johnson of the Marlins have the same thing? And now he's the ace of the Marlins staff.

But this is why you err on the sidfe of caution with young pitchers. I know it's frustrating with things like innings limits, "Joba Rules", etc. but if it saves a future ace or top of the rotation pitcher or star reliever from getting seriously injured, then do it. Not everyone can throw like Nolan Ryan.

Isn't that what thee Nationals tried to do? It really does suck, though. It's like a Bo Jackson or Kerry Wood in 1998, when a guy with that kind of talent comes along, you just want him to succeed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Isn't that what thee Nationals tried to do? It really does suck, though. It's like a Bo Jackson or Kerry Wood in 1998, when a guy with that kind of talent comes along, you just want him to succeed.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    and I have him in my keeper league for $6.... oh well.... I hope this is not a result of the way these pitchers get babied...

Yeah, the Nationals went above and beyond to try and baby this kids arm, and he still got hurt. All that babying didn't prevent anything in this case. If anything, it's a example for those against the "Joba Rules" moreso then a reason for them.

I have a belief that it's not really the overthrowing that causes the injuries, but rather poor mechanics (and in some cases, probably poor genes) that cause the injuries. People were concerned about Strasburg's mechanics well before he got drafted. In fact, his mechanics drew some comparisons to Mark Prior's..... and sure enough, he got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Yeah, the Nationals went above and beyond to try and baby this kids arm, and he still got hurt. All that babying didn't prevent anything in this case. If anything, it's a example for those against the "Joba Rules" moreso then a reason for them.

I have a belief that it's not really the overthrowing that causes the injuries, but rather poor mechanics (and in some cases, probably poor genes) that cause the injuries. People were concerned about Strasburg's mechanics well before he got drafted. In fact, his mechanics drew some comparisons to Mark Prior's..... and sure enough, he got hurt.
    i am deathly afraid to write this as i don't want to jinx him but you are correct..look at mo rivera, same fluid motion for ever.....strasburg is young though..he will be back

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That said, it's a pretty standard procedure but he won't be good until 2013.
    While a lot of pitchers have successfully come back from Tommy John. It's still a major surgery and there's always the chance he won't be the same Pitcher he was prior to the surgery. Philip Humber lost ~3 miles an hour when he came back from Tommy John and never recovered it. Which pretty much ended his shot at a big league career.

All Pro

what didnt they do to protect him? his last start he was on a 90 pitch count.

I bet Dibble must feel like an ass

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=tsn-166372
    Dibble away from booth after criticizing Strasburg
    SportingNews
    Aug 26, 11:22 am EDT

Nationals TV analyst and former major league reliever Rob Dibble will take two days off following his criticism of injured Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg(notes), according to The Baltimore Sun.

Speaking on Sirius XM Radio on Monday, Dibble said, "You can't have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow."

Strasburg spent time on the disabled list earlier this month because of shoulder stiffness and landed on the disabled list again this week because of a sore forearm.

An MRI exam on Strasburg's forearm earlier this week revealed a strained flexor tendon. He scheduled for a follow-up MRI exam today, though there is speculation that he will be shut down for the season regardless of what the MRI reveals.

MASN spokesman Todd Webster told the newspaper that Dibble is "taking a few days off." Webster said Dibble requested the time off, but he wouldn't comment on whether it was because of Dibble's criticism of the rookie righthander.

Strasburg, who struck out 14 batters in his major league debut in June, is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 12 starts (68 innings) this season.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    what didnt they do to protect him? his last start he was on a 90 pitch count.
    He did go through their minor league system in about a year. That's pretty quick. Was it rushed?......maybe. Some pitchers have done that in the past. Maybe the Nationals should have taken into consideration how his pitching style puts a lot of pressure on his elbow and been more cautious with him from very get go

All Pro
    He did go through their minor league system in about a year. That's pretty quick. Was it rushed?......maybe. Some pitchers have done that in the past. Maybe the Nationals should have taken into consideration how his pitching style puts a lot of pressure on his elbow and been more cautious with him from very get go
    No, he was babied all the way up. Pitch limit, innings limit.

Some pitchers get hurt no matter what you do.

And for those that forget, Mo had the same surgery at the same age, he was just in the minors.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24 View Post
    I bet Dibble must feel like an ass

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=tsn-166372
    Yeah, I actually heard him say that the other day. What a stupid thing to say. How do you know if the kid is seriously injured or not?

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

And for those that forget, Mo had the same surgery at the same age, he was just in the minors.
    Mo didn't have TJ surgery. They repaired the ligament.They didn't replace it.
    But your point is well taken. They believe Strasberg was hurt throwing one pitch

I don't know. You change his style, and then you change what he does. It's hard to say it was rushed since he completely dominated on every level until the Major League (and was quite successful in limited action in MLB as well).
    I don't really think it would have helped him to stay in AA or AAA ball and throw the same way and continue to put up 1.30 E.R.A. and a 5:1 K/BB Ratio.

Maybe it just comes down to this, a guy who can throw 101 and has a nasty curve just can't last. It's a physical limitation of the human body.

Either way it sucks. I was one of those guys who would check when he was pitching just to see him dominate.

All Pro
    The level he is pitching at doesnt matter. Plus with talent like that, he probably couldve started the season in the majors. What good does it do him to dominate the minors for 2 years on a 90 pitch count?

I read they tried to teach him a circle change and some in the orginazation thought it was a bad move from the start.

All League

I'm not convinced that pitch counts/innings limits actually do what they're intending to do. Pitchers still get hurt with the same frequency as before.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

I agree with this sentiment. In the case of Strasburg it just looks like the way he throws the ball puts way more stress on his arm then necessary. If your throwing motion is screwing up your arm (like we saw with Prior) then an innings limit, keeping you in the minors, whatever, isn't going to do you much good.