Thread: Anyone build their own backyard putting green?

Hall Of Fame

Anyone build their own backyard putting green?

Was thinking of building one for my son - he loves mini golf.

[QUOTE=quantum;3703140]Was thinking of building one for my son - he loves mini golf.[/QUOTE]

I looked into it. They sell some sort of packaged putting greens at golf stores for like 4000$. I was like, hell to the nah.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3703144]I looked into it. They sell some sort of packaged putting greens at golf stores for like 4000$. I was like, hell to the nah.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know - and it doesn't look to difficult to build your own.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    For your son....ok.... :P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No, I'm straight.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;3703880]No, I'm straight.[/QUOTE]

My gaydar reading indicates you could pass for gay easy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3705572]My gaydar reading indicates you could pass for gay easy.[/QUOTE]

Oh I can definitely gay it up, when the situation calls for it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=quantum;3703140]Was thinking of building one for my son - he loves mini golf.[/QUOTE]

Q, you can build one but is pretty tough. I used to sell for 2 different synthetic turf companies, Southwest Greens and Easy Turf (NFL uses them) here in San Diego and they could be pretty complex. They do sell pre made that range from $1000+. Doing it yourself is going to be difficult but possible.
    Here's one of them that we did and a link to the site.
    [IMG]http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/jetsnrangers/lrg-29-golf-greensan-diego-green.jpg[/IMG]

[url]http://www.sandiegogolfgreens.com/gallery/gallery_home/putting_greens/golf-greensan-diego-green.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.southwestgreens.com/photogallery/view.php?gid=6&phid=24[/url]
    Last edited by jetsnrangers; 08-29-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3706353]Q, you can build one but is pretty tough. I used to sell for 2 different synthetic turf companies, Southwest Greens and Easy Turf (NFL uses them) here in San Diego and they could be pretty complex. They do sell pre made that range from $1000+. Doing it yourself is going to be difficult but possible.
    Here's one of them that we did and a link to the site.
    [IMG]http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/jetsnrangers/lrg-29-golf-greensan-diego-green.jpg[/IMG]

[url]http://www.sandiegogolfgreens.com/gallery/gallery_home/putting_greens/golf-greensan-diego-green.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.southwestgreens.com/photogallery/view.php?gid=6&phid=24[/url][/QUOTE]

thx for the info. I was thinking of just one hole, total green would be about 25' long by 5' wide. Maybe build some obstacles like a loop or windmill.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=quantum;3706887]thx for the info. I was thinking of just one hole, total green would be about 25' long by 5' wide. Maybe build some obstacles like a loop or windmill.[/QUOTE]

Hell, in that case pour a slab and slap down some of the nylon that they sell online or from a local turf company. That would be easier to do than the crazy process that goes into building one of the ones pictured. PM me if you ever need advice on your build, I'd be more than happy to help.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3707832]Hell, in that case pour a slab and slap down some of the nylon that they sell online or from a local turf company. That would be easier to do than the crazy process that goes into building one of the ones pictured. PM me if you ever need advice on your build, I'd be more than happy to help.[/QUOTE]

Pour a slab? My wife won't go for that. I was thinking of nylon over well compacted soil with landscape fabric underneath...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=quantum;3708248]Pour a slab? My wife won't go for that. I was thinking of nylon over well compacted soil with landscape fabric underneath...[/QUOTE]

If you flatten the area your going to build on and then but around 3 inches if DG (decomposed granite) and compact it down with a vibraplate or a walk behind roller that fills with water (you can rent either or both) that would do the trick. Soil alone will not be a sufficient base under the turf. You will also need to put a small 1% grade to allow for propper drainage as well. You will also need to set the cup in quick crete so it does not move, prior to rolling the turf over it. Flat soil with turf over it will not work.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3708261]If you flatten the area your going to build on and then but around 3 inches if DG (decomposed granite) and compact it down with a vibraplate or a walk behind roller that fills with water (you can rent either or both) that would do the trick. Soil alone will not be a sufficient base under the turf. You will also need to put a small 1% grade to allow for propper drainage as well. You will also need to set the cup in quick crete so it does not move, prior to rolling the turf over it. Flat soil with turf over it will not work.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think a Campbell's soup can laying on its side is the way to go. :P

Veteran
    [QUOTE=quantum;3708595]I'm starting to think a Campbell's soup can laying on its side is the way to go. :P[/QUOTE]

That's a hellava lot easier. But if you need advice let me know.:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=southside;3703144]I looked into it. They sell some sort of packaged putting greens at golf stores for like 4000$. I was like, hell to the nah.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=quantum;3703356]yeah I know - and it doesn't look to difficult to build your own.[/QUOTE]

4000 does sound high, but when you take into consideration the cost of building supplies and your time, it might not be THAT crazy of an idea to pick up a prefab one for a couple of G's.

Sounds like it would be fun to tackle on your own though. More creativity, and custom made to your yard.

Just built a sweet dvd cabinet, and after supplies it probably cost me @ 200.$:eek: Probably should have just bought one from a store, but I have this real pet peeve about fake wood. I like the real stuff.:D

Good luck Tiger.

All League

Anyone build their own backyard putting green?

Not since I was kicked out for night putting.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Big L;3710506]Not since I was kicked out for night putting.[/QUOTE]

Mitch Cuminsky-college roomate?

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3710896]Mitch Cuminsky-college roomate?[/QUOTE]

Just putting... at night..... with the 17 yr old daughter of the Dean.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Big L;3711478]Just putting... at night..... with the 17 yr old daughter of the Dean.[/QUOTE]

Seen the movie a few times?:D