Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Health Department: Daily Supplements

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Health Department: Daily Supplements

I am a big fan of daily supplements that are essential for your body. Many people disregard this issue and believe they are fine with their daily diets. It takes large daily consumption of fruits, vegetables and other sources of foods that will supplement vital nutrients necessary for your body.

This is my list by order of importance:

[LIST=1][*]Multivitamins for men[*]Metamucil- you will never be constipated, matter of fact, you will be shocked on the amount of waste your body dumps when you first start taking this supplement[*]Omega 3-6-9 for my heart[*]Prostate Health [*]8 Ounces of V8 Juice[*]Korean Ginseng[/LIST]
    Last edited by 82nd Airborne; 08-27-2010 at 04:54 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No supplements, but here's my diet:

1. Cap'n Crunch
    2. Pretzels
    3. Turkey Sandwich/More pretzels/Yogurt/banana/apple
    4. Cheetos or something
    5. Whatever the wife makes for dinner
    6. Beer
    7. Beer
    8. Beer

on weekends:

9. Beer
    10. Beer
    11. Beer
    12. Wings or pizza, most likely both
    13. Beer
    14. Beer

6 through 14 being the most essential.
    Last edited by OrangeJet; 08-27-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you take only one supplement, let it be this one:

[IMG]http://www.performancenutrition.com/images/BLNFLAXOILLIQUID.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3703522]No supplements, but here's my diet:

1. Cap'n Crunch
    2. Pretzels
    [B]3. Turkey Sandwich/More pretzels/Yogurt/banana/apple[/B]
    4. Cheetos or something
    5. Whatever the wife makes for dinner
    6. Beer
    7. Beer
    8. Beer

on weekends:

9. Beer
    10. Beer
    11. Beer
    12. Wings or pizza, most likely both
    13. Beer
    14. Beer

6 through 14 being the most essential.[/QUOTE]

Other than 2, (except the excessive amount of salt intake via pretzels) nice suicidal combo...I guess you give a $hit about your life.
    Last edited by 82nd Airborne; 08-27-2010 at 05:05 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703514]I am a big fan of daily supplements that are essential for your body. Many people disregard this issue and believe they are fine with their daily diets. It takes sums of fruits, vegetables and other sources of foods to establish all necessary vitamins/nutrients that your body needs daily.

[LIST=1][*]Multivitamins for men[*]Metamucil- you will never be constipated, matter of fact, you will be shocked on the amount of waste your body dumps when you first start taking this supplement[*]Omega 3-6-9 for my heart[*]Prostate Health
    [B][*]8 Ounces of V8 Juice[/B][*]Korean Ginseng[/LIST][/QUOTE]

LOL

Vitamins are a debatable topic. I do take a liquid form, but I really dont think it is absorbed in the body. I think it is 90% a scam, and aside from multivitamins, there are so many supplements its ridiculous.

Much better off getting the vitamins and nutrients from a healthy diet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3703524]If you take only one supplement, let it be this one:

[IMG]http://www.performancenutrition.com/images/BLNFLAXOILLIQUID.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Not a bad choice per Wikipedia:

Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids (table). Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women.[10] Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast[11][12] and prostate cancers.[13] A study done at Duke suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors,[14] although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive.[15] Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels.[16] There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content[6] though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage.[17] Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content,[17] and may have adverse effects due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immunosuppressive cyclic nonapeptides.[1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703535]Not a bad choice per Wikipedia:

Flax seeds contain high levels of dietary fiber including lignans, an abundance of micronutrients and omega-3 fatty acids (table). Flax seeds may lower cholesterol levels, especially in women.[10] Initial studies suggest that flax seeds taken in the diet may benefit individuals with certain types of breast[11][12] and prostate cancers.[13] A study done at Duke suggests that flaxseed may stunt the growth of prostate tumors,[14] although a meta-analysis found the evidence on this point to be inconclusive.[15] Flax may also lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels.[16] There is some support for the use of flax seed as a laxative due to its dietary fiber content[6] though excessive consumption without liquid can result in intestinal blockage.[17] Consuming large amounts of flax seed may impair the effectiveness of certain oral medications, due to its fiber content,[17] and may have adverse effects due to its content of neurotoxic cyanogen glycosides and immunosuppressive cyclic nonapeptides.[1[/QUOTE]

I take a tablespoon every day. Make sure you buy the one which says, "highest lignan". I've tried all the flax oils, most of which taste awful. Barlean's organic truly tastes like walnut oil, and is great in dressings.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3703529]LOL

Vitamins are a debatable topic. I do take a liquid form, but I really dont think it is absorbed in the body. I think it is 90% a scam, and aside from multivitamins, there are so many supplements its ridiculous.

Much better off getting the vitamins and nutrients from a healthy diet.[/QUOTE]

You are partially correct, but the list I provided are proven to be good for you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703528]Nice suicidal combo...I guess you give a $hit about your life.[/QUOTE]

haha, way to judge on the internet. I run more than enough miles to cover it all. Blood tests all look good. Thanks for the concern.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3703548]haha, way to judge on the internet. I run more than enough miles to cover it all. Blood tests all look good. Thanks for the concern.[/QUOTE]

Congrats...you can be healthier.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703547]You are partially correct, but the list I provided are proven to be good for you.[/QUOTE]

Eh. Proven? I mean if it is working for you, that is what matters.
    But lets take a closer look at your list.

[QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703514]I am a big fan of daily supplements that are essential for your body. Many people disregard this issue and believe they are fine with their daily diets. It takes large daily consumption of fruits, vegetables and other sources of foods that will supplement vital nutrients necessary for your body.

[LIST=1][*]Multivitamins for men[*]Metamucil- you will never be constipated, matter of fact, you will be shocked on the amount of waste your body dumps when you first start taking this supplement[*]Omega 3-6-9 for my heart[*]Prostate Health [*]8 Ounces of V8 Juice[*]Korean Ginseng[/LIST][/QUOTE]

Multi Vitamin: Debatable absorption into body. You probably arent getting what the label says.

Metamucil: Is this supposed to be used everyday? I mean the amount of fiber in 100% whole wheat bread is alot. Just have a sammich instead.

v8: Good, but pasturized. You lose alot of the enzymes and nutrients in comparison to say a fresh tomato.

Again, whatever works for you is what matters. The simple fact that you think about things like this is good for your health.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703554]Congrats...you can be healthier.[/QUOTE]

You don't even freaking know me...how do you know I'm not in better shape than you? I'm most certainly not...but how do you know?

I'm a tad proud that I can roll out of bed after a night of drinking and run past the skinny younguns in a half-marathon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3703558]Eh. Proven? I mean if it is working for you, that is what matters.
    But lets take a closer look at your list.

Multi Vitamin: Debatable absorption into body. You probably arent getting what the label says.

Metamucil: Is this supposed to be used everyday? I mean the amount of fiber in 100% whole wheat bread is alot. Just have a sammich instead.

v8: Good, but pasturized. You lose alot of the enzymes and nutrients in comparison to say a fresh tomato.

Again, whatever works for you is what matters. The simple fact that you think about things like this is good for your health.[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3703562]You don't even freaking know me...how do you know I'm not in better shape than you? I'm most certainly not...but how do you know?

I'm a tad proud that I can roll out of bed after a night of drinking and run past the skinny younguns in a half-marathon.[/QUOTE]

Everybody can be healthier, including myself.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3703566]Everybody can be healthier, including myself.[/QUOTE]

Very true...but at what cost? I'll gladly trade off a year or two of the end for decades of fulfillment.

I'd take 75 years of beer and eating what I'd please over 80 years of a pure healthy diet and strict workout regime. Screw that. I'm drinking hard tonight and tomorrow...and I'll cover it with a 15 mile run Sunday morning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    True on the absorption of multi-vitamins. But I spoke to my doctor about this directly and he said they are beneficial but there are major differences between multis. He didn't like vitamins like Centrum, said to drop one in a glass of water overnight and see what it looks like in the morning. How will your body break that down?

I take GNC Mega Men multi-vitamin. It's a much better product than it was just 3 or 4 years ago and my doctor said it's a good choice if I were take any multi.

+1 on flax seed. But you don't need to just take the oil. The best way is to get actual flax seeds, they're small and you can grind them up or buy them already in a disposable grinder (think like a pepper grinder full of peppercorns). Just grind them over a bowl of oatmeal or into a salad. You probably won't even notice that they're there.

[IMG]https://www.flaxpremiumgold.com/shop/images/uploads/96oz_26oz_whole_flaxseed_grinder.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someones gonna get hit by a bus running across the street to fill those vitamin orders.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;3703580]Very true...but at what cost? I'll gladly trade off a year or two of the end for decades of fulfillment.

I'd take 75 years of beer and eating what I'd please over 80 years of a pure healthy diet and strict workout regime. Screw that. I'm drinking hard tonight and tomorrow...and I'll cover it with a 15 mile run Sunday morning.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Everything in moderation....that includes eating right, exercising as well as drinking and having a nice juicy steak on occasion. It's the people who don't do the first two at all while downing beers 4 or 5 days a week and eating like crap every day who get in trouble.

I work out 3 times/week since this past May and feel fantastic now. I eat healthy most of the time but definitely have a few drinks on Friday or Saturday and have a really sinful dessert once or twice a week. Gotta be healthy and fit to keep up two kids under 5. I want to be around a long time and not that dad who sits on his fat ass and can't run around the backyard with his son for a few hours.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3703591]Someones gonna get hit by a bus running across the street to fill those vitamin orders.[/QUOTE]

lol.

[I][SIZE="1"]possibly[/SIZE][/I]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    INTRAMAX

That is ALL you need. And you will forever thank me. This is serious and not up for debate by lame douche bags who simply want to have fun and jest. :)