Thread: US signs Bradley to 4 year extension

Practice Squad

US signs Bradley to 4 year extension

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...year-extension

IMO this is a poor choice. He had his chance and its time to move on. Should've tried to get klinsmann

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl7 View Post

IMO this is a poor choice. He had his chance and its time to move on. Should've tried to get klinsmann
    was a move for klinsmann made? i have heard mixed, all from hear say. ive heard they made a move and that he turned it down, but ive also heard nothing was done. i honestly just dont know.. so sorry if this is dumb.

that being said, im not 100% against re-signing bradley. he was able to put together a pretty solid world cup team that faced adversity with the loss of davies and the still recovering onyewu who played pretty well under the circumstances. his players also seemed to like playing for him, based on readings and what not that i have seen. if anything, it keeps the same continuity on the field with bradley at the helm, and four more years of attempting to master his soccer scheme with the same core of young players for next world cup

IMO Bradley is a very good coach. There's only so much you can do with the roster he was given. A healthier roster with a couple more better players and this team makes an even better run in the next World Cup.

Hall Of Fame
    worst possible move for both sides IMO...Bradley could have waited out a premier league vacancy and blazed a new trail for US managers while US Soccer could have tried to make a splash with klinsman or tried to bring someone new along...

not that it really matters, as I find it really hard to believe that we had a shot at winning in Brazil 2014, but still, seemed like a logical time for a change

Quote Originally Posted by dvl7 View Post

They met with Klinsmann before meeting with Bradley, from what I understand.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...s-coaching-job

I don't like the idea of the same coach for 2 consecutive cycles. I do think Bradley was a pretty good, but flawed coach, and I would have liked a change, but I don't know enough to know who is better.

I don't ever think Klinsy was a serious consideration. The sides may have touched base just to check a box, but I get the idea before he would step in to a situation like that again he would want complete control of the operation...something I believe was not on the table when he was mentioned for the job years ago and I doubt was this time.

Either way, you could debate whether he was better suited for the position than Bradley so it may not matter.

All Pro
    Ive always believed at some point Mourinho would coach America. I just hope USSF has balls at some point.

I think his career path is going to be the Real, Man U, USA.

He has so much arrogance and confidence that he can do anything that making America a soccer powerhouse would be his greatest feat. Its the ultimate ego job considering it involves waking up a "sleeping giant"

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Ive always believed at some point Mourinho would coach America. I just hope USSF has balls at some point.

He has so much arrogance and confidence that he can do anything that making America a soccer powerhouse would be his greatest feat. Its the ultimate ego job considering it involves waking up a "sleeping giant"
    There's a talent issue in the US. Only 3 or 4 field players get consistent starting time in top European leagues. I can only think of one player who scores goals who gets time, and not a single US striker is European worthy on any level. I don't see how having even the best coach in the world would bridge the significant talent gap.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    There's a talent issue in the US. Only 3 or 4 field players get consistent starting time in top European leagues. I can only think of one player who scores goals who gets time, and not a single US striker is European worthy on any level. I don't see how having even the best coach in the world would bridge the significant talent gap.
    Mourinho probably wont even be in the discussion to be US manager until we (probably) host the cup in 2022, by which point we can hopefully field some more top flight talent. He's certainly talked up the US's potential in the past, so there is certainly ample reason to believe its possible.

But then again, 12 years is a looooong time...hell, 8 years is a long time, and thats the absolute soonest he'd be coming over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post

He would be my first choice as well. I don't like the Bradley signing, especially for four years.

I don't have a problem with Bradley in fact I think he deserves it. I have said all along the blame should be with USSF for not developing the best players.