Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeter's next contract

Jeter's next contract

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...s_average.html

Under ordinary circumstances the drop-off from a typical Jeter season would be significant enough to make management reassess what it should pay him. Obviously Jeter is an extraordinary case, but how extraordinary?

Complicating matters is the Alex Rodriguez contract, which has another seven years worth $209 million, plus those potential milestone home-run bonuses.

Jeter may be the ultimate team guy, but two former teammates believe that when it comes to getting paid, his pride will demand that he get something approaching A-Rod money, regardless of what he hits this season.

"It's up to (the Yankees)," one former player said. "Knowing Jeet, he's not going to let an off-year, if it turns out to be an off-year, play a role in what he thinks he should get paid. He just doesn't think like that. He'll be more convinced than ever that he'll come back and hit .330 next year."

The second former teammate essentially agreed.

"The question is whether (Brian) Cashman and the others think this is the start of a decline," he said. "And if so, are they going to factor it into the negotiations or just pay him for being the face of the franchise all these years? Knowing Derek, he'll say all the right things, but he won't give an inch based on his numbers this season."

Obviously the Yankees won't want to go to war with Jeter, knowing it likely would be a PR nightmare.

"They're in a tough spot," one prominent agent said Tuesday. "Because the way he's hitting, the gap between his true value as an old shortstop without power and his Yankee-legend value is so enormous, I'm not sure how you bridge that gap without causing some hard feelings."
    This is going to be one hell of a negotiation... If Jeter's decline is real, and this is the player he is, there's a good argument that Eduardo Nunez would actually be the better player starting next year.

3/30 is far more then he would be offered in the open market. That requires playing some hardball with Jeter, but that's something that'll need to be done.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    3/30 is far more then he would be offered in the open market. That requires playing some hardball with Jeter, but that's something that'll need to be done.

Whoever he plays for will get many sold-out buildings as he closes in on 3000 hits.

That will be added into the salary equation.

All League
    It seems funny to me that a guy who has always been portrayed as “el Capitan” the ultimate team player is now being portrayed as selfish by unnamed ex-teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It seems funny to me that a guy who has always been portrayed as “el Capitan” the ultimate team player is now being portrayed as selfish by unnamed ex-teammates.
    I don't see that.

Banned
    Jeter has actually been decent in HRs, RBIs and SBs this season. It's his BA and OBP that are both down. He had an excellent bounce back season last year which kind of spoiled us but we're seeing the more real Jeter this season which is .333 OBP, 12-15 hr, 65-70 rbis and about 20 sbs per season at this stage of his career.

2 yrs $22 mil Jeter - take it or leave it. No one else is giving you that kind of money.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Polidore22 View Post
    I don't see that.

You see this as a positive article about Jeter?

All Pro
    And this is why you don't resign guys before their contracts are completed. Props to the Yankee front office. Before the season so many fans wanted the yankees to sign Jeter to a new contract before the season began. Thank God they didn't do that. 3 or 4 years 12.5 mil./year is very fair IMO.

Veteran
    Does this surprise anyone? Jeter has never given any indication whatsoever that he puts anyone but himself first. Like Jordan, it is what makes him such a great teammate and competitor, but it also means that his pride and ego will make it virtually impossible for the Yanks to keep him at anything less than 18M/year for 4 years. Which he is not remotely worth.

Jets Insider VIP
    This will be a tough negotiation.

I have no idea how it will play out.

It's unfortunate that Jeter looks done. I wish he took PEDs because this wouldn't have happened now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Does this surprise anyone? Jeter has never given any indication whatsoever that he puts anyone but himself first. Like Jordan, it is what makes him such a great teammate and competitor, but it also means that his pride and ego will make it virtually impossible for the Yanks to keep him at anything less than 18M/year for 4 years. Which he is not remotely worth.

Think off all the Jeter T-shirts that have been sold and will be sold. You can’t swing a dead aardvark without hitting one. Signing Jeter will be a good deal for the Yankees at $18 million. He will be earning the Yankees money for the next 25 years. The guy is unbelievably popular and could probably become mayor of NYC if he wanted it.

And I hate him

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

It's unfortunate that Jeter looks done. I wish he took PEDs because this wouldn't have happened now.
    What makes you so sure he did not?

He did "gain a step" last season.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

It's unfortunate that Jeter looks done.
    He does look done to me. I agree. I hope he proves us wrong, lets pray... but my eyes see a different story.

As for the negotiation, I dont think he will get nearly what he wants. This down market has seen a lotta aging stars have to settle for lowball contracts lately. Vlad Guererro was a perennial MVP candidate until last year, when he seemed to be 'done' at age 35. He was signed to a lowball contract with Texas where he has now been performing more like the old Vlad. He went from 15 million a year to 5 million a year based on ONE off year. Why? Hes 35.

How about Manny Ramirez? Think he can pull a Jeter, and demand top 10 salary based on the player he USED to be? I think not.

What about Mariano Rivera? The greatest closer of all time, bar none. Still performing like his peak years, but desite his flawless performance Cashman didnt reward him with a sweetheart 20 million dollar a year salary... he gave him percieved market value over 3 years. What about Andy Pettite? One of the original four. Wanting to retire a yankee. Huge postseason performance. All that Jazz. You see a twenty million dollar deal handed to him? I dont think so.

Did Bernie Williams get a ridiculously overpaid contract in his final years? Hmm? Jeter is Jeter, but remember Bernie? Johnny Damon had just come off a HUGE year in the season we won the World Series. He wasnt even asking for the world, like Jeter will be. But it was deemed that he was getting 'too old'. Turns out they were right, but they let him go. Smart baseball sense? Ruthless managament? Hideki Matsui had just won the World Series MVP for us... and Cashman let him get signed to the Angels for absolute peanuts...

People have said Jeter is in a slump... well guess what, slumps arent usually "year long". If you look at player performance week to week, or month to month, over a career you see the highs and lows, the dips and the smooth curves, and this whole year hes been hovering between .260-.290, while grounding into rally killing double plays more often than he ever has before. A slump is what you saw with Texiera. Horrible performance for the first few weeks, then normal gangbusters Tex the rest of the way... With Jeter, the Jeter you see this month is the same you saw in the first month. He never had a 'great month' or a 'horrible month' in terms of average. This is just HIM now. You might wanna call it an 'off year', ok. But really how off was it? Look at Jeter's stats from 2008. At least he hit .300 that year. His .266 average this year is embarrassing, and you think hes gonna keep getting better as he hits age 37, or 38? Fact is, anyone who has watched the yankees for a while can tell that this just isnt the same Jeter. The YES announcers have a reverence for Jeter, but you can even hear it in thier voices sometimes. I used to look forward to his at bats when we were behind... now i cringe with dissapointment more often than not. I feel like I am watching someone get punished.... witnessing the rapid decline of one of my heroes, so its sad.

Defensively, at shortstop he gets to fewer balls than any other shortstop in the league, and thats just fact... one that every scout in baseball knows. Fans see the patented dive in the hole, jump up and throw from your back foot play and think, WOW HES AWESOME... but scouts look at that play and say, most of the league's shortstops would have just gotten to that ball normally and made a standard throw to get the guy out. We havent had a quick, good range shortstop for so long, we tend to forget what its like. Jeter goes back on balls with the best of them, and his game/field awareness might be the best on the team, which is why most baseball people see him swapping to the outfield sooner rather than later. I think his pride will get in the way though, but well see.

I think history already will judge Cashman by his foolhardy Alex Rodriguez contract. If he gives Jeter a sweetheart overpayment deal here, he may seriously cripple the Yankee fortunes over the next few years.

Cashman overpaid bigtime in December 2007, when Rodriguez and the Yankees agreed to a 10-year, $275 million contract. If he could erase that contract now, he most certainly would. If he makes a huge mistake like that again with Jeter, imagine the roster when Jeter and Alex are 40 years old... cranking out worse numbers than our farm team guys, but pulling in a combined 50 million dollars for it. At some point you have to start thinking with your brain here.
    Last edited by MadCroatian; 09-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Veteran
    Think off all the Jeter T-shirts that have been sold and will be sold. You can’t swing a dead aardvark without hitting one. Signing Jeter will be a good deal for the Yankees at $18 million. He will be earning the Yankees money for the next 25 years. The guy is unbelievably popular and could probably become mayor of NYC if he wanted it.

And I hate him
    Yeah, but it works both ways. Jeter goes to KC because they offer him more money, you won't see so many Jeter shirts, and you won't see a ton in KC either. Jeter NEEDS the Yankees to overpay him, but the Yanks don't need to overpay that much.

There's no way Jeter gets anything north of 2 yrs, 10M anywhere else, and even that is probably generous.

Furthermore, the Yanks are already stuck with A-Rod's contract, they can't have two albatrosses on their roster.

All Pro
    Chipper Jones hit it on the head couple months ago. People were saying how he took less money than he could have for his last big contract, so he could stay on the same team for his career. They compared Chipper to Jeter.

Chipper said, "Jeter has never had to settle for any less money because it's the Yankees." Jeter hasn't been loyal to the Yanks, they gave him a massive amount of money to play in a great city on a team that always competes.

All League
    Yeah, but it works both ways. Jeter goes to KC because they offer him more money, you won't see so many Jeter shirts, and you won't see a ton in KC either. Jeter NEEDS the Yankees to overpay him, but the Yanks don't need to overpay that much.

There's no way Jeter gets anything north of 2 yrs, 10M anywhere else, and even that is probably generous.

Furthermore, the Yanks are already stuck with A-Rod's contract, they can't have two albatrosses on their roster.
    The teams in Chicago, Boston and California could all turn signing Jeter into tickets and Merchandise sales.

I agree that it would not make sense for KC, Florida or Pittsburgh

To be fair to Jeter, it's not like he's going to think he's done. He's going to think the following: I had an off year, I'll be back. I'm the captain of the team, and have been a great one. I'm the face of the franchise. I've been good to the Yankees. I shouldn't be making a ton less than all the other guys given all this. I sure as hell don't want to take a paycut. I want to play till I'm at least 40 or so, and if the Yankees gave a contract to A-Rod to play till he's God knows how old, why not me?

This is a great article that shows us "Technically" what we Yankee fans have been seeing all season long.
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/09/01/a...amiliar-swing/
    A year long mechanical slump? Sadly, my friends... I think not.

Well written article.

I really hope he doesn't demand too much. He deserves to finish his career with the Yanks and like others have said he means much more to the Yanks than any other team at this point in his career. Seriously, who's gonna pay more than $10 million for a 36? year old shortstop who just batted .270 with pedestrian power numbers.

I just don't see him wanting outrageous per year salaries. A-Rod's contract already dwarfs his and he's already set for life anyway. And to be honest, no one has really mentioned his "intangibles" as the reason the Yanks got to and won the World Series last season. I think most would point to A-Rod's clutch HRs, CC's and Andy's pitching, and Matsui's WS performance as the main factors for championship #27.

I think the comparison to Jordan doesn't really apply. Jordan was still "The Man" on the Bulls championship teams the second time around and while Jeter's the captain, he more just a cog in the machine at this point.

The teams in Chicago, Boston and California could all turn signing Jeter into tickets and Merchandise sales.

I agree that it would not make sense for KC, Florida or Pittsburgh
    First of all, Boston?

And I really don't think Jeter's a big draw for fans of other teams. Fans are mesmerized by the numbers players put up. I'm sure most fans know about Jeter and how he's gonna be in the HOF someday but they are not gonne be so giddy, saying, "Wow. Look at Jeter's intangibles!" The players that capture folks imaginations are the ones who hit 450 foot homers and can throw 100 mph.