Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook... am I making a mistake?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Facebook... am I making a mistake?

I hear possitives about facebook and how you link up to old friends etc, and I've heard many horror stories about facebook breaking up relationships and marriages.

I didn't get an invite (I wasn't planning on going anyway) to my ten year high school reunion because the invites were sent out on facebook. I spoke to a few old college friends recently and they said that if I had a facebook I'd be in the loop, bla bla bla.

So it seems that you need facebook nowadays just to be in the social loop, and I am being forced to sign up. Am i making a mistake?

Feel free to share any facebook horror stories or stories of old friends hooking up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Yes u r.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fvck facebook. Way too much personal information is made public. I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends, do you want to be "in the loop" with people from your past that you probably DONT keep in touch with for good reason?

There's a reason people lose touch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the relationships/marriage breaking up thing....

Heard the stories.

Bored, feeling unappreciated wives/husbands getting contacted by old boyfriends/girlfriends etc....

Bad news.

Just had to have my sopne remove a "I Love WeeD!" friend from his page...he's 13.

People I know who have it seemed obsessed, especially the broads.

DOnt have it/shakes cane.
    Last edited by 32green; 09-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my input

[QUOTE=Banks81;3713460]I hear possitives about facebook and how you link up to old friends etc, and I've heard many horror stories about facebook breaking up relationships and marriages.

I didn't get an invite (I wasn't planning on going anyway) to my ten year high school reunion because the invites were sent out on facebook. I spoke to a few old college friends recently and they said that if I had a facebook I'd be in the loop, bla bla bla.

So it seems that you need facebook nowadays just to be in the social loop, and I am being forced to sign up. Am i making a mistake?

Feel free to share any facebook horror stories or stories of old friends hooking up.[/QUOTE]

I too, joined a few years back to keep in touch with a guy (who was a childhood best friend) that I haven't seen since high school. It is a great tool to keep in contact with family, friends and what not.

However, I have got into trouble with my wife, not my own fault... but the "facebook whores" as she calls them... they post stuff that she sees.

So depending how you utilize it, FB is good and bad. There are [B]alot[/B] of cool Jetsinsiders on there too! Hope this helps!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;3713498]However, I have got into trouble with my wife, [B]not my own fault[/B]...[/QUOTE]

Of course its not. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...

[QUOTE=FF2®;3713504]Of course its not. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

It's not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Banks81;3713460]
    Feel free to share any facebook horror stories or stories of old friends hooking up.[/QUOTE]

just post a recent swimsuit and close-up head shot - you'll have no problemos.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;3713516]It's not.[/QUOTE]

Hey I hear ya man. The who-wahs are all over me too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'll quickly find out who has become annoying with their "I'm so glad it's nice out" updates and those who live for FB with their gay farms and mafia nonsense. I do it because a lot of my friends don't live in NY any more.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big L;3713484]Fvck facebook. Way too much personal information is made public. I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.[/QUOTE]

yup :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3713539]You'll quickly find out who has become annoying with their "I'm so glad it's nice out" updates and those who live for FB with their gay farms and mafia nonsense. I do it because a lot of my friends don't live in NY any more.[/QUOTE]

Women I used to work with would talk about their farms daily, that is what turned me off from it. I also don't like making my life public, but that I can control by using commen sense whilst posting.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can be a very cool thing - and also a very evil thing if you let it.

Just be dilligent in seeing who can see what you post, who can see your wall, who can post to your wall, and so forth.

A good idea is to setup 'lists'.
    I have a list of close friends who can see everything and post stuff to my wall
    Another list of people who can see my updates and certain albums but not post on my wall
    And another list of people with access to only 1 or 2 albums, and I can target FB updates specifically towards them (mainly fishing-related nonsense)

And the Farmville/Mafia retahds need to be eradicated.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;3713608]It can be a very cool thing - and also a very evil thing if you let it.

Just be dilligent in seeing who can see what you post, who can see your wall, who can post to your wall, and so forth.

Another list of people who can see my updates and certain albums but not post on my wall
    And another list of people with access to only 1 or 2 albums, and I can target FB updates specifically towards them (mainly fishing-related nonsense)

And the Farmville/Mafia retahds need to be [B]eradicated[/B].[/QUOTE]

ERADICATOR!!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjMAeJxdYw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJjMAeJxdYw[/URL]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have it and have found it as great way to connect with old friends.

I don't have any farms or use any of the dumb applications and my profile settings restrict what people can see about me. I don't post my status every two minutes or even every day for that matter. I go on maybe once a day if even that.

If you use it properly it a great tool and I would recommend it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Big L;3713484]Fvck facebook. Way too much personal information is made public. I prefer to remain as anonymous as possible.[/QUOTE]

+1 I never understood the willingness to put private matters in your life out there for all to exploit. I doubt this new generation will ever comprehend how they have been duped and manipulated.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention its a great free advertising tool in which to whore yourself out all over the place :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;3713608]It can be a very cool thing - and also a very evil thing if you let it.

And the Farmville/Mafia retahds need to be eradicated.[/QUOTE]

do those people see that you have restricted them to not seeing everything?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy, liked an early, loud alarm clock...bit of an underachiever$$ at work...liked to "[I]work late[/I]" on the 'puter:rolleyes:....

His friggin wife hooked up with the former nerd from high school who was loaded and had a moose ***k.

You have to be careful.