Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I wrong - or does Gholston look ready to produce?

[QUOTE=SMC;3713816]As in "lettuce"?[/QUOTE]

LOL

I think he will have a positive impact this year, he's going to become the player we thought.

I get a kick out of some posters here who think that guys who can't make it to the final 53 will be flipping burgers at Macs. Really? A lot (most) of these guys are reasonably talented at other things. I played with/worked with a few guys who didn't quite make it and pull in a million plus a year. They actually wound up making a lot more than if they had been in the NFL.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3713830]I get a kick out of some posters here who think that guys who can't make it to the final 53 will be flipping burgers at Macs. Really? A lot (most) of these guys are reasonably talented at other things. I played with/worked with a few guys who didn't quite make it and pull in a million plus a year. They actually wound up making a lot more than if they had been in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I should have said "beating some bottom-of-the-barrel scrub who may or may not hold a very lucrative yet non-physical position in one of many white collar firms in the near future doesn't do it for me."

He's looked better every game, which is the best we've seen in 3 pre seasons. Yesterday I was playing Madden 11 vs the pats and Ghoston had an INT and I ran it back for six.
    The stars have aligned and all is well in the land of Gholston. His nuts just dropped.:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I don't think he is a football player with the killer instinct, but we will see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'd probably use the word contribute rather than produce. He's not agile enough to consistently produce sacks, forced fumbles, etc. He can provide some value though coming off the bench and spelling the starters.

I DVR'ed yesterday's game and have only watched the first two series, but Gholston is, at least so far, the best guy playing on D.

Whether he is ready to produce or not, I'm not sure, but it is pretty clear that he has looked markedly better this preseason than in prior years.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SMC;3713816]As in "lettuce"?[/QUOTE]

as in "lettuce pray" he's not a slug in '10....

[QUOTE=shakin318;3713838]Sorry. I should have said "beating some bottom-of-the-barrel scrub who may or may not hold a very lucrative yet non-physical position in one of many white collar firms in the near future doesn't do it for me."[/QUOTE]

I love the jealousy and hatred on this site. It's exhilerating.
    Some many high school JV players (at best) who dislike guys who actually played college ball and went for free.
    Most of the guys who don't make it will still be getting big bucks. Corporations love them (unless they have an arrest record).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3713830]I get a kick out of some posters here who think that guys who can't make it to the final 53 will be flipping burgers at Macs. Really? A lot (most) of these guys are reasonably talented at other things. I played with/worked with a few guys who didn't quite make it and pull in a million plus a year. They actually wound up making a lot more than if they had been in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I get a kick out of posters who read so much into a one-liner on a message board.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3713937]as in "lettuce pray" he's not a slug in '10....[/QUOTE]

Do you think there is a possibility he won't be?

[QUOTE=Piper;3713986]I get a kick out of posters who read so much into a one-liner on a message board.[/QUOTE]

I read into whatever is presented. I you write it, you're fair game.
    I doubt any of these guys will be flipping burgers at Macs but if you do, stay safe.

Banned
    Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine turned Sione Pouha and Eric Smith into effective players maybe he can do the same for Gholston.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3713946]
    Most of the guys who don't make it will still be getting big bucks. Corporations love them (unless they have an arrest record).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3713830]A lot (most) of these guys are reasonably talented at other things. I played with/worked with a few guys who didn't quite make it and pull in a million plus a year. They actually wound up making a lot more than if they had been in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Please explain.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3714056]I read into whatever is presented. I you write it, you're fair game.
    I doubt any of these guys will be flipping burgers at Macs but if you do, stay safe.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're a real blast at parties.

[QUOTE=shakin318;3713739]I basically watched Gholston specifically on every play. Sorry, but he still has a horrible inability to change directions at speed, and was getting single-team pass blocked by guys who will be working at McDonalds next week. Beating a bottom-of-the-barrel scrub on the last play of the last pre-season game does nothing for me [/QUOTE]

I agree. Against 2nd and 3rd teamers, he was OK, but against 1st teamers, minimal impact. I just think he's strong, but has very little athleticism or football ability.

Look at Harris, Pace, or Scott. They seem to be involved in almost every play. Take a look and you will usually see Ghost showing up late to a tackle or having to chase from behind.

[B]I just don't think he's got "IT". You have to be violent like Harris(on the field I mean), a maniac like Scott, or driven like Taylor to make it on the front 7. He has none of these that we the fans can see.[/B]

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

[QUOTE=obrienssong;3714343]I agree. Against 2nd and 3rd teamers, he was OK, but against 1st teamers, minimal impact. I just think he's strong, but has very little athleticism or football ability.

Look at Harris, Pace, or Scott. They seem to be involved in almost every play. Take a look and you will usually see Ghost showing up late to a tackle or having to chase from behind.

[B]I just don't think he's got "IT". You have to be violent like Harris(on the field I mean), a maniac like Scott, or driven like Taylor to make it on the front 7. He has none of these that we the fans can see.[/B][/QUOTE]

Kenyon Coleman comes to mind when I think about what Gholston has done so far this preseason...I like everyone else just hopes the best and that he helps this team with the fact that he is making good $$. Coleman did his job, albeit quietly but filled his role!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3713937]as in "lettuce pray" he's not a slug in '10....[/QUOTE]

LOL