Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I wrong - or does Gholston look ready to produce?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3713937]as in "lettuce pray" he's not a slug in '10....[/QUOTE]

That's great. LOL.

Gholston made the sack on the QB to end the game. He blew his ass up. I guess that's not good enough for some.

Gholston is going to kill Tom Brady and force him into early retirement.
    And that's good enough for me!

[QUOTE=Goobertron;3714210]Huh? Please explain.[/QUOTE]

Corporations LOVE college athletes. I got hired for a ridiculous salary because I was a good player. (Of course I had been an Army officer also). Big companies like the prestige.

My children were also recruited by big corporations because they were athletes.

[QUOTE=shakin318;3714245]I'm guessing you're a real blast at parties.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm told I'm one of the most entertaining person most people know. That's what happens when you actually attend classes at college, and grad school, The Army War College and the AMA. Just bragging.

You are wrong. Its just Rex hype.

i'm not a big gholston fan at this point but let's give credit where credit is due. last season he did start the first few games because pace was on suspension and did enough so the jets won those games. maybe he's not sacking the qb at will like he did in college but staying in position like he did on the vick roll out and stopping the gain is just as important. do we want him to be a gastineau one dimensional player?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3714572]Actually, I'm told I'm one of the most entertaining person most people know. That's what happens when you actually attend classes at college, and grad school, The Army War College and the AMA. Just bragging.[/QUOTE]

After reading that first sentence, I think you should go back to your college English professor and demand your money back.

[QUOTE=Maury77;3713908]I DVR'ed yesterday's game and have only watched the first two series, but Gholston is, at least so far, the best guy playing on D.

Whether he is ready to produce or not, I'm not sure, but it is pretty clear that he has looked markedly better this preseason than in prior years.[/QUOTE]

Ghost is finally playing well because He's being coached better!
    The Guy has talent to rush the passer ,He's now learning how to play off the Run blocks & pursue the ballcarrier.
    Thank God for Rex giving him the chance Magina never did!

All League
    I don't think Vernon Gholston will EVER play up to the level he was thought of as the 6th pick in that draft.

He has ZERO moves. He rushes, get's contacted, and THE END. He can't get by his man 90% of the time, even 3rd stringers. He does not command a double team. The only time he can even get close is if someone blows an assignment or the defensive scheme leaves him uncovered, and even at that he is NOT fast enough, always one-step late.

He's shown IMO to be about average at best against 2nd & 3rd stringers and a non-factor essentially against the 1's.

It's a good thing he took a pay cut. He may be forced to take another one.

Practice Squad
    Man, that last sack was just like the ending of Rudy :) hopefully it isn't the last sack he'll ever make. As a team, we all know that even with a #1 defense, we don't get a lot of sacks, which is too bad since I love yelling "Get him a body bag! Yeaahh!" at the games, every time we get one. With Gholston though, at this point till the season starts, there isn't much more to debate. He's made the roster. Time will tell if he has really arrived.

So, how often can we except him to play? The defensive line rotates pretty quick, right?

Who will he be matched up against in the next few games? How often are we expecting him to make plays, tackles, sacks...

I can't begin to imagine what is going through his head. Sometimes I think that in the past, he might not have been giving it his 100% for various reasons. But there might have come a point where he realizes that he needs to step up or step aside. There is no longer any reason to save anything in the tank cause there might not be any more opportunities to use it. To just play as if every play is his last.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;3714656]I don't think Vernon Gholston will EVER play up to the level he was thought of as the 6th pick in that draft.

He has ZERO moves. He rushes, get's contacted, and THE END. He can't get by his man 90% of the time, even 3rd stringers. He does not command a double team. The only time he can even get close is if someone blows an assignment or the defensive scheme leaves him uncovered, and even at that he is NOT fast enough, always one-step late.

He's shown IMO to be about average at best against 2nd & 3rd stringers and a non-factor essentially against the 1's.

It's a good thing he took a pay cut. He may be forced to take another one.[/QUOTE]

I have a very strong feeling you are going to be eating those words my friend. Gholston has been right there on several plays and his timing is getting better and better. I think the guy is going to surprise alot of the haters on this board I am rooting like hell for him.
    We need to stop talking about where he was drafted; that is irrelevant now. What is important is has he shown improvement; is the game finally slowing down for him; is he finally getting comfortable in his role in this defense? I think that any impartial observer would have to answer yes to each of those questions.

When you factor in his immense physical gifts, you have player who just might be a late bloomer. Who in the 3, 4 of his career starts to become what everyone was expecting in year 1 and 2. If he becomes just 50-60% of that I can live with that at this point.

[QUOTE=southside;3714527]Gholston made the sack on the QB to end the game. He blew his ass up. I guess that's not good enough for some.[/QUOTE]

not to mention with Pace and Pito out this team needs VG more than ever.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3714836]not to mention with Pace and Pito out [B]this team needs VG more than ever[/B].[/QUOTE]

THIS. +1

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;3714563]Corporations LOVE college athletes. I got hired for a ridiculous salary because I was a good player. (Of course I had been an Army officer also). Big companies like the prestige.

My children were also recruited by big corporations because they were athletes.[/QUOTE]

This is one of the more ridiculous claims I've read on this site. I'm not questioning your own experience or the experiences of your children. However, I'd like to see a study, and not just a generalization based on anecdotes, that suggests that this is actually true. Ridiculous salaries are only ridiculous because very few people make them, and I would be surprised if that small minority was well-represented by former college athletes who played for big name schools and make the "big bucks" as a direct result of that prestige.

Jets Insider VIP
    your wrong-he sucks

All Pro
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3714572]Actually, I'm told I'm one of the most entertaining person most people know. That's what happens when you actually attend classes at college, and grad school, The Army War College and the AMA. Just bragging.[/QUOTE]

Humility would be much more impressive than anything that you bragged about.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jet Black;3714831]I have a very strong feeling you are going to be eating those words my friend. [B][I][U]Gholston has been right there on several plays and his timing is getting better and better[/U][/I][/B]. I think the guy is going to surprise alot of the haters on this board I am rooting like hell for him.
    We need to stop talking about where he was drafted; that is irrelevant now. What is important is has he shown improvement; is the game finally slowing down for him; is he finally getting comfortable in his role in this defense? I think that any impartial observer would have to answer yes to each of those questions.

When you factor in his immense physical gifts, you have player who just might be a late bloomer. Who in the 3, 4 of his career starts to become what everyone was expecting in year 1 and 2. If he becomes just 50-60% of that I can live with that at this point.[/QUOTE]

What I bolded above is exactly the point I was making... He was right there, getting better....AKA a step too late, and as I said, against 2nd & 3rd stringers. Against 1st stringers, he is NOWHERE close to being right there.
    Is he getting better? Yeah. Is this his 3rd year? But he's still not good enough against 2nd & 3rd stringers let alone 1st stringers.

When you add football players to your team it is with the hopes that they are good enough to start against the 1's or at least good enough to come in for a spell with the 1's and play at an average level. IMO Gholston does not fit this description.

[QUOTE=shakin318;3713739]I basically watched Gholston specifically on every play. Sorry, but [B]he still has a horrible inability to change directions at speed[/B], and was getting single-team pass blocked by guys who will be working at McDonalds next week. Beating a bottom-of-the-barrel scrub on the last play of the last pre-season game does nothing for me -- especially when you see all the Jets and the coaches congratulating him like some little leager spaz who just closed his eyes and stuck his bat out there and got his first hit of the season[/QUOTE]

Yes! That's painfully obvious. He's supposed to have good speed for his size but he can't turn [B]at all [/B]while running. If he's going in for a sack and the QB gives him a little wiggle and avoids contact, the QB's just bought himself another 3 seconds b/c Vernon has to come to a stop then turn around.

And not to nitpick, but he doesn't wrap up while tackling - at least on sacks. On the sack yesterday, Vernon kind of just ran over the QB with his arms out in front to the side. He didn't actually grab him. He did the same thing last pre-season when he nearly killed a QB. (I forget which game).

All League
    One reason why he has not been cut, is that the LB's/DE's that HAVE been cut are not [B][I][U]CLEARLY[/U][/I][/B] better than him, so he gets to stick around.