Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Am I wrong - or does Gholston look ready to produce?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715342]It's actually better than that. But no. I didn't go to USC.
    I have a home in Charleston as well as NJ.[/QUOTE]

This particular part of the thread just doesn't feel quite right.

Anyway...

Gholsten has amazing strength and seems to be very fast when running forward in a straight line. No lateral movement or quickness at all. Doesn't seem to have a nose for the ball either. But, he's finally in the action and making some contribution. You can't get better at his position standing on the sideline. Rather than having the pressure to make every tackle and sack the quarterback every time he drops back to pass when he's getting little to no playing time, he can hopefully get into the rythym of a game and start to improve his football skills.

Time will tell...I'm pulling for the kid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3715207]Exactly. I just ignored that one myself. Obviously someone doesn't even watch whats going on and is just bashing the kid.[/QUOTE]

Let me tell ya.... When we're on defense I'm ALWAYS looking for #50 on every snap. I ignore everyone else on the field. Many times I can't find #50 because I can't always see the numbers clearly.

On those plays where I can't see #50:
    1) 75% of the time the announcers never mention him his name.
    2) 25% of the time I hear his name, or actually see him at the end of a play,
    he's either (12.5%) one-step away from making a tackle, or (12.5%) he makes a tackle.
    Translation: Not making an impact 75% of the time. The other 25% he's close but still no tackle, or he's made a tackle, most of THOSE times it's against 2nd/3rd stringers. On those occasions where he was close it was probably when he was in with the 1's. Play making contribution: 12.5% or 1/8th of his total snaps against 2nd/3rd stringers he's getting his hands on the player, nearly ZERO contribution against #1's. Oh yeah... this kid can make plays. Bull****.

Then there are those times when I DO see #50 lined up.
    1) He rushes against a double team: Dead stop 100% of the time.
    2) He rushes against a single team: Dead stop 75% of the time..
    3) The other 25% of the time, the results are no different than what I stated above.

So if he's on the field for 100 snaps a game, and 1/8th of those he's in the mix, that's 12.5 tackles. When did you ever see him get 12 tackles? I'm being very generous with my evaluation. He get's maybe 4 and nearly ALL of those are against 2nd & 3rd stringers.

I am NOT the only person on this board saying the same exact thing. I am not bashing the kid. I'm telling you what I see, of course it's my translation of whether or not he's playing as well as some of the other playmakers on the field, and again I'M NOT ALONE in this evaluation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715342]It's actually better than that. But no. I didn't go to USC.
    I have a home in Charleston as well as NJ.[/QUOTE]

I was just kidding anyway...if you look at my picture under my username you would see why. We just bought a house on Kiawa Island....we spend a lot of time in Charleston...I love it down there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715297]Anyone can have a typo. When you are worth 8 figures, let me know.
    The POTUS didn't seem to mind speaking with me.[/QUOTE]

You left out the part about solving Fermat's Theorem, and winning the Olympic decathlon, you humble devil you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;3715452]You left out the part about solving Fermat's Theorem, and winning the Olympic decathlon, you humble devil you.[/QUOTE]

Was a good football player. Tough to do the decathlon when you can't pole vault or high jump or do the 1500 fast.
    Realtive to your comment about getting my money back from my English course - you do realize that scholarship athletes don't pay for their education?
    I am humble. Except when attacked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715497]Was a good football player. Tough to do the decathlon when you can't pole vault or high jump or do the 1500 fast.
    Realtive to your comment about getting my money back from my English course - you do realize that scholarship athletes don't pay for their education?
    I am humble. Except when attacked.[/QUOTE]

LOL... if you were humble no one would be talking about you right now... especially YOU!

You may have been a good athlete and now be worth 7 figures, but you are without question a big toolbox!

When I see your posts I think of the Southpark episode when everyone in the town started driving Hybrid vehicles and sniffing their own farts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715297]Anyone can have a typo. When you are worth 8 figures, let me know.
    The POTUS didn't seem to mind speaking with me.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he did, he was just pretending... that's what politicians do ya dope.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston will suck

Clemens will suck

Anyone who believes otherwise is a gullible chump.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3715497]Was a good football player. Tough to do the decathlon when you can't pole vault or high jump or do the 1500 fast.
    I am humble. Except when attacked.[/QUOTE]

As unintentional as it clearly is, I have to thank you for providing the hilarity in this thread.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This offseason, Gholston has actually taken a step in the right direction.

Rex Ryan has talked up Vernon for a good portion of training camp and it was nice to see Gholston playing hard during the preseason and even had a sack to top it off.

He may never live up to his contract/hype coming out of college, but if he's really one of the strongest players on the team, the 3-4 DE position could become a great place for the kid. DeVito is solid, but I'm still pulling for Gholston to become our starter at right defensive end.