Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JFK traffic on a Friday afternoon?

Veteran

JFK traffic on a Friday afternoon?

So, I'm thinking of flying into JFK and then driving to Connecticut for a weekend. The only decent flights arrive at 12:45 pm or 11 am. How bad will the traffic be driving out of JFK toward CT on a Friday at those times?

On the flip side, the flights back leave JFK at 8:30 or 9:30 on a Monday morning. Having to arrive 2 hours early would mean getting to JFK around 6:30 am or 7:30 am, again driving from CT.

I've driven in bad traffic before, just don't like the stop-n-go type where you lose all track of time. Once took me over an hour to drive from JFK to LaGuardia after my plane from Boston was re-routed. Not looking forward to that kind of traffic.

So, will those times for driving be okay since it's summer? Or am I nuts and dealing myself a sh!thand?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

you're doomed

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

actually the traffic on 95 up in CT may be worse at that hour than the traffic getting off LI

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    you're doomed
    this

All League
    JFK traffic at those times? Shltty. Period.

Jets Insider VIP
    Where in CT are you going? Avoiding 95 is always a good thing.

Traffic around JFK always sucks but Fridays and Mondays are the worst... especially in the summer. Your Friday arrival time isn't all that bad unless you are renting a car and it takes a long time. Being able to arrive, and get right into a rental is key. Getting picked up works too.

As for Monday, my advice is to be there a little before 6 am. The entire place could be a clusterf*ck by 6:30. If you were there by 5:30 - 5:50, you should be fine.

All League
    Depending on where in CT you are going, the ferry from Pt Jefferson to Bridgeport might be good alternative. I used to use it all the time when I lived near Hartford and had to visit my in-laws on the Island. May not save much time, but it beats 4-5 hours in traffic.

Veteran
    Thanks, guys. I figured it would be bad, but was hoping ... since I haven't been back there in a few years.

Going to central CT.
    I've driven 684 to 84 before, going to my mom's from northern NJ. So that's an option if 95 is a mess.

Would flying Saturday and Tuesday be any better?
    Not sure I can pull this off, since there's a graduation party on Sat. afternoon.

But I really hate changing planes to get to Bradley, especially this time of year with thunderstorms, tornadoes everywhere. I'd have to fly through Atlanta (bleech) or Dallas (never a fan of that airport). Unfortunately, no nonstops from Houston.

Hall Of Fame
    Fly into Westchester.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Thanks, guys. I figured it would be bad, but was hoping ... since I haven't been back there in a few years.

Going to central CT.
    I've driven 684 to 84 before, going to my mom's from northern NJ. So that's an option if 95 is a mess.

Not sure I can pull this off, since there's a graduation party on Sat. afternoon.

But I really hate changing planes to get to Bradley, especially this time of year with thunderstorms, tornadoes everywhere. I'd have to fly through Atlanta (bleech) or Dallas (never a fan of that airport). Unfortunately, no nonstops from Houston.
    Bradley's the tits. Rarely ever any traffic. Maybe around Hartford at those times, though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Going to central CT.

Saturday is the Belmont Stakes, triple crown potential this year so traffic will be brutal

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Saturday is the Belmont Stakes, triple crown potential this year so traffic will be brutal
    I'm traveling the weekend of June 28th, so I'll miss that race, thankfully. Just my luck, something else will be happening that weekend.

So, I'm thinking of flying into JFK and then driving to Connecticut for a weekend. The only decent flights arrive at 12:45 pm or 11 am. How bad will the traffic be driving out of JFK toward CT on a Friday at those times?

On the flip side, the flights back leave JFK at 8:30 or 9:30 on a Monday morning. Having to arrive 2 hours early would mean getting to JFK around 6:30 am or 7:30 am, again driving from CT.

I've driven in bad traffic before, just don't like the stop-n-go type where you lose all track of time. Once took me over an hour to drive from JFK to LaGuardia after my plane from Boston was re-routed. Not looking forward to that kind of traffic.

So, will those times for driving be okay since it's summer? Or am I nuts and dealing myself a sh!thand?
    Took a 3:45 am flight to DC from JFk on Tuesday and there was traffic. Good luck

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Fly into Westchester.
    This. If you can swing this, you are golden. That being said, if you land at 11am, its not the worst thing in the world. It will be slow going up the Van Wyck and through the Bronx, but you are at least missing rush hour when its 3x worse.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Fly into Westchester.
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    This. If you can swing this, you are golden. That being said, if you land at 11am, its not the worst thing in the world. It will be slow going up the Van Wyck and through the Bronx, but you are at least missing rush hour when its 3x worse.
    Thanks, but not an option. Limited nonstop flights from Austin to NYC area (JFK or Newark only). Thought JFK would be better/closer than Newark.

Once again, depends on where you going in CT you say central, 684 to 84, 84 where? depending where you going I would almost go out of my way to take Lithfan's advise and take the ferry. Fly into LI MacArthur and 10 min you are at the ferry, shoot up 8 to 84. You can even shoot down 95 to 7 up to 84 if you want. the ferry is the best, used to take it all the time.

however you go, good luck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Right now, 2:44p, the drive from JFK to New Britain is 3 hrs via 684/84. No fun, but could be worse.

Ryan Leaf bad. Going anywhere in the 5 boros in a car on a Friday afternoon is a suicide mission. The belt\cross island is going to be a parking lot ditto for the Van Wyck. You'd be better getting a cab to a nearby stop on the A train, go into midtown and take a Metro North train to Connecticut from Grand Central.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 06-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Thanks, but not an option. Limited nonstop flights from Austin to NYC area (JFK or Newark only). Thought JFK would be better/closer than Newark.
    All things considered, you are much better off flying into Newark, rather than JFK. Do anything to avoid the Belt/Van Wyck/Cross Bronx nightmare.

It wont be bad at all. Leave jfk head for eastern long island. Grab the cross island pkwy ( not the southern state....thats where it splits) hit the first bridge the throgs neck br and you will find 95 east/ north to ct

Dont listen to these creeps