Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems that negotiating with Revis is history

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that negotiating with Revis is history

It is time to come to the inevitable conclusion, which is that there will not be any negotiating with Darrelle Revis. And the quicker that the NY Jets come to this conclusion, the better off the Jets will be.

Darrelle Revis wants 16 million per year or goodbye! I have taken a seminar on the "Artof Negotiating" and I negotiate every day as part of my job. I believe that I am very good at it, although I do not want to give the impression that this is what I do for a living; it is not. The most important thing I took away from this one day seminar is this, "In negotiating, you are always looking for a win win senario". You are never looking to "beat" the other side, you should always want both sides to win. Now, if both sides have this attitude, then I believe that the great majority of the time, both sides will be successful. It is time that Mike Tannenbaum and the owner come to this conclusion, so that this situation can finally be resolved. Yes, resolved!

Once the Jets finally wake up, these are the options"
    1. Give Revis what he wants, and move forward as an organization. There is a legal phrase that I often think about in these situations, it is "res ipsa loquitor" and the literal translation is "the event speaks for itself". In this case, I believe that the situation speaks for itself; give in, or don't give in, but whatever you do, stop wasting time trying to negotiate, because it just is not happening; not now, not ever.

2. Trade Revis for the best value that you can. Of course, to an NFC team, definitely not an AFC team, and definitely to the worst team I can find, so that if it is for draft picks, the picks will be high and not low.

3. Let Revis rot for the next 3 years and never trade him. I find this scenario the most repugnant; the goal here is to inflict the most damage on Revis, but it does the most damage to the organization, not getting any value for a valuable commodity.

In my opinion, I as a negotiator would give Revis generally what he wants, make the best deal that I can, knowing that the other side will win on this one, and yes, the Jets will lose except for something very obvious; although the Jets will have lost the negotiations, they will have gained one of the possibly the 50 greatest players who ever played the game of football; someone who we as Jets fans can add to the "ring of honor" which now only stands at (5) five, a pathetically small number considering the Jets have been in existance for almost 50 years now. Revis gives us a better chance of fielding a winning team, and that is the bottom line.

The biggest crime here is in thinking that the negotiations are not over, because if you keep that attitude, everyone loses, and that is not smart. Please don't get me wrong, I consider Mike Tannenbaum to be an excellent negotiator; I believe he is always looking for the win win goal that I have discussed here; it just is that it is time for Mike and Woody Johnson to come to the same conclusion that I have, and by coming to this conclusion, allow a resolution to this situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny said weeks ago that he has no more cards to play. The jets have been done negotiating with revis for weeks now. Woody publicly came out and said he diesnt think revis is playing this year.

Unless the revis team caves, which will never, ever happen becuase then other agents will use this against them when recruiting clients

why daily threads keep getting opened about this is beyond me. We have known this for weeks now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post. Although, I do agree that they are done negotiating and I doubt they have spoken much since they agreed to keep everything confidential. I was hopeful that he would be here by Labor Day but have serious doubts now. I don't think he's playing this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at Sean Gilbert..... after he got the money he totally sucked.

REVIS, if paid this type of money, will play not be the REVIS we know.

WHY??? Becauise anyone who does this is not a "heart" player and he will remain bitter.

Let him sit..I'd rather be 10 and 6 and he not get paid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we please stop calling this guy one of the best players in NFL history!

He's a three year player with one great season that didn't even win defensive player of the year. He had a great season for a corner back but let's not make him out to be something more than is.
    He's done o good enough job of that himself!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3715249]Can we please stop calling this guy one of the best players in NFL history!

He's a three year player with one great season that didn't even win defensive player of the year. He had a great season for a corner back but let's not make him out to be something more than is.
    He's done o good enough job of that himself![/QUOTE]

He is the best..just ask him or his agents.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how the JETS need to change their mindset and not Greedis . . .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee you Revis will eventually sign a contract with the Jets and it will be for less than $16 million per season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3715253]I guarantee you Revis will eventually sign a contract with the Jets and it will be for less than $16 million per season.[/QUOTE]

OK...Kreskin.;) WHEN?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3715255]OK...Kreskin.;) WHEN?[/QUOTE]

I don't know when. I've been saying all along he'd be back for the BYE week, so I'll stick with that. If I had to change that, I'd say it will be sooner.

The point is, the whole premise of this thread is wrong - despite the poster having taken a seminar on the "Art of Negotiating". :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3715256]I don't know when. I've been saying all along he'd be back for the BYE week, so I'll stick with that. If I had to change that, I'd say it will be sooner.

The point is, the whole premise of this thread is wrong - despite the poster having taken a seminar on the "Art of Negotiating". :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the one day seminar circuit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3715249]Can we please stop calling this guy one of the best players in NFL history!

He's a three year player with one great season that didn't even win defensive player of the year ([B]but should have[/B]). He had a great season for a corner back but let's not make him out to be something more than is.

Fixed. I'm not a fan of what Revis and his advisors are doing, but he was the best defensive player last year. He had a season for the ages, frankly. One season doesn't merit the ridiculous contract he's demanding, but you've got to be a bit more balanced re what he did accomplish... just sayin...

P.S. You can't discuss a negotiation from abstract principles. Context is everything. Age of player, injury history, his motivation to play, personality/ego, team need, team finances, long range vs. short range planning, etc. It's not enough to say "win-win" you have to define it in detail based on the specific factors involved.
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 09-04-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum hasn't stopped negotiating with Team Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3715228]Tanny said weeks ago that he has no more cards to play. The jets have been done negotiating with revis for weeks now. Woody publicly came out and said he diesnt think revis is playing this year.

Unless the revis team caves, which will never, ever happen becuase then other agents will use this against them when recruiting clients

why daily threads keep getting opened about this is beyond me. We have known this for weeks now.[/QUOTE]

Personally this is the biggest issue I have with jets management. My beef with Revis is the hold out, but that's because I think it's a show of bad faith in negotiations.

The Jets by cutting off negiotations also showed bad faith.

Frankly both sides have acted childish in this entire manor. The idea that a low ball offer of millions is an insult is the ploy of a 2 year old. The idea that there's no reason to negiotate when your trying to sign one of your best short term assetts is also the ploy of a 2 year old.

Revis should be on the field but both parties should be locked in a room and hammering out a deal until a deal gets done or Tannebaum and Revis's agents are hospitalized.

The Jets have a team of lawyers and a GM. Personally I don't want to see him driving to the Roscoe dinner or taking punts on hard knocks. I want him in full contract negiotations 24/7 just like I expect the coaches to be working stupid hours preparing for the games.

Both sides have points and issues, hammer them out in good faith. Honestly neither side has done that.

At the end of the day if Revis isn't on the field he is essentially dead to me because I'm rooting for the Jets. Still part of me feels that the organization has done a poor job of hashing this out and they are very fortunate to have an equally crappy team on the other side to give them cover.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 09-04-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=marvinpowell;3715227]It is time to come to the inevitable conclusion, which is that there will not be any negotiating with Darrelle Revis. And the quicker that the NY Jets come to this conclusion, the better off the Jets will be.

Darrelle Revis wants 16 million per year or goodbye! I have taken a seminar on the "Artof Negotiating" and I negotiate every day as part of my job. I believe that I am very good at it, although I do not want to give the impression that this is what I do for a living; it is not. The most important thing I took away from this one day seminar is this, "In negotiating, you are always looking for a win win senario". You are never looking to "beat" the other side, you should always want both sides to win. Now, if both sides have this attitude, then I believe that the great majority of the time, both sides will be successful. It is time that Mike Tannenbaum and the owner come to this conclusion, so that this situation can finally be resolved. Yes, resolved!

Once the Jets finally wake up, these are the options"
    1. Give Revis what he wants, and move forward as an organization. There is a legal phrase that I often think about in these situations, it is "res ipsa loquitor" and the literal translation is "the event speaks for itself". In this case, I believe that the situation speaks for itself; give in, or don't give in, but whatever you do, stop wasting time trying to negotiate, because it just is not happening; not now, not ever.

2. Trade Revis for the best value that you can. Of course, to an NFC team, definitely not an AFC team, and definitely to the worst team I can find, so that if it is for draft picks, the picks will be high and not low.

3. Let Revis rot for the next 3 years and never trade him. I find this scenario the most repugnant; the goal here is to inflict the most damage on Revis, but it does the most damage to the organization, not getting any value for a valuable commodity.

In my opinion, I as a negotiator would give Revis generally what he wants, make the best deal that I can, knowing that the other side will win on this one, and yes, the Jets will lose except for something very obvious; although the Jets will have lost the negotiations, they will have gained one of the possibly the 50 greatest players who ever played the game of football; someone who we as Jets fans can add to the "ring of honor" which now only stands at (5) five, a pathetically small number considering the Jets have been in existance for almost 50 years now. Revis gives us a better chance of fielding a winning team, and that is the bottom line.

The biggest crime here is in thinking that the negotiations are not over, because if you keep that attitude, everyone loses, and that is not smart. Please don't get me wrong, I consider Mike Tannenbaum to be an excellent negotiator; I believe he is always looking for the win win goal that I have discussed here; it just is that it is time for Mike and Woody Johnson to come to the same conclusion that I have, and by coming to this conclusion, allow a resolution to this situation.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are overlooking one important fact: as the season continues, the leverage for both parties change. If the Jets begin losing games, if the defense takes a marked dip, if one of the two starting cornerbacks are injured, Revis gains more leverage and the Jets may become more amenable to meeting Revis's over the top demands. Conversely, if the defense continues to play very well and Cromartie reverts back to his 2007 form, Revis begins to lose leverage because the Jets can raise the argument that Revis's 2009 season was a product of the system.

The negotiating is not over, its about to hit its peak.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3715228]Tanny said weeks ago that he has no more cards to play. The jets have been done negotiating with revis for weeks now. Woody publicly came out and said he diesnt think revis is playing this year.

why daily threads keep getting opened about this is beyond me. We have known this for weeks now.[/QUOTE]
    This is what sucks. Other factors aside from Revis getting on the field being the highest paid corner matter. This isn't about his idiot agents...

If it were me, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd trade him. Please, just go away and let us play some damn football. They're going to have a hard time finding a taker though. Because if he won't play for the Jets without that ridiculous contract, he sure as heck won't play for the Lions without it.

Just as a negotiating tactic, they should tell him to explore trade options. I'd bet lots and lots of money that he wouldn't be able to work out a deal with another team either. Then he'll have 2 choices: shut up and play, and refuse to play for less than an absolutely obnoxious amount of money...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3715269]I believe you are overlooking one important fact: as the season continues, the leverage for both parties change. If the Jets begin losing games, if the defense takes a marked dip, if one of the two starting cornerbacks are injured, Revis gains more leverage and the Jets may become more amenable to meeting Revis's over the top demands. Conversely, if the defense continues to play very well and Cromartie reverts back to his 2007 form, Revis begins to lose leverage because the Jets can raise the argument that Revis's 2009 season was a product of the system.

The negotiating is not over, its about to hit its peak.[/QUOTE]
    Either they'll tell him it was the system, or they'll tell him we don't need you to be an awesome defense, so there's no reason for us to tie our hands like that. We'll take the money we were going to give you and keep Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3715272]Either they'll tell him it was the system, or they'll tell him we don't need you to be an awesome defense, so there's no reason for us to tie our hands like that. We'll take the money we were going to give you and keep Cromartie, Edwards, and Holmes.[/QUOTE]

We'll see.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3715273]We'll see.[/QUOTE]
    Yes we will. Football is a team sport, especially on defense. This isn't basketball, where if you have Kobe Bryant you're automatically in the Conference Finals. In that case you have to give Kobe whatever he wants, he has 5 rings and it's because of him for the most part. Revis makes a difference on defense, but not THAT big of a difference. You need to be able to sign other players too. Even Revis can only cover half the field. Who's supposed to defend the other half when he's making $16 million per year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree. IMO Mevi$ is a greedy sob and not a team player. If we can get two high picks for his sorry butt, so be it! I am not even sure that i'd want him on the Jets corrupting the minds of young players. DUMP the HUMP!