Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems that negotiating with Revis is history

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;3715249]Can we please stop calling this guy one of the best players in NFL history!

He's a three year player with one great season that didn't even win defensive player of the year. He had a great season for a corner back but let's not make him out to be something more than is.
    He's done o good enough job of that himself![/QUOTE]

Good post. If you listen to some talking heads they act like the Jets defense won't get out of it's own way if Revis isn't on the field.

Ryan's defense seems to work even when we miss some components. See last year when Pace and Jenkins were out for significant periods, it was hardly noticeable.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion is that we should let it be real clear that he has 2 options. Play for the contract on the table or sit for 3 years, paying the Jets $16K per day. Be clear that he will never be traded. In 4 yrs time he will be worthless.

How greedy can one man be. Glad to see there are still great people like Mangold in this world.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the offseason rots the brains

we thinking about these issues without the context of football games

if we see this team without Revis, his worth will be painfully apparent.

it's not about honor or greed. it's about winning. And they win more with him than without him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=marvinpowell;3715227]It is time to come to the inevitable conclusion, which is that there will not be any negotiating with Darrelle Revis. And the quicker that the NY Jets come to this conclusion, the better off the Jets will be.

Darrelle Revis wants 16 million per year or goodbye! I have taken a seminar on the "Artof Negotiating" and I negotiate every day as part of my job. I believe that I am very good at it, although I do not want to give the impression that this is what I do for a living; it is not. The most important thing I took away from this one day seminar is this, "In negotiating, you are always looking for a win win senario". You are never looking to "beat" the other side, you should always want both sides to win. Now, if both sides have this attitude, then I believe that the great majority of the time, both sides will be successful. It is time that Mike Tannenbaum and the owner come to this conclusion, so that this situation can finally be resolved. Yes, resolved!

Once the Jets finally wake up, these are the options"
    1. Give Revis what he wants, and move forward as an organization. There is a legal phrase that I often think about in these situations, it is "res ipsa loquitor" and the literal translation is "the event speaks for itself". In this case, I believe that the situation speaks for itself; give in, or don't give in, but whatever you do, stop wasting time trying to negotiate, because it just is not happening; not now, not ever.

2. Trade Revis for the best value that you can. Of course, to an NFC team, definitely not an AFC team, and definitely to the worst team I can find, so that if it is for draft picks, the picks will be high and not low.

3. Let Revis rot for the next 3 years and never trade him. I find this scenario the most repugnant; the goal here is to inflict the most damage on Revis, but it does the most damage to the organization, not getting any value for a valuable commodity.

In my opinion, I as a negotiator would give Revis generally what he wants, make the best deal that I can, knowing that the other side will win on this one, and yes, the Jets will lose except for something very obvious; although the Jets will have lost the negotiations, they will have gained one of the possibly the 50 greatest players who ever played the game of football; someone who we as Jets fans can add to the "ring of honor" which now only stands at (5) five, a pathetically small number considering the Jets have been in existance for almost 50 years now. Revis gives us a better chance of fielding a winning team, and that is the bottom line.

The biggest crime here is in thinking that the negotiations are not over, because if you keep that attitude, everyone loses, and that is not smart. Please don't get me wrong, I consider Mike Tannenbaum to be an excellent negotiator; I believe he is always looking for the win win goal that I have discussed here; it just is that it is time for Mike and Woody Johnson to come to the same conclusion that I have, and by coming to this conclusion, allow a resolution to this situation.[/QUOTE]

Caving to Revis would just be a team ender. No CB, Revis included, is good enough to be the highest paid player in football. The salary that Revis is demanding would kill their ability to sign some of our other key players. Revis has proven that he is not a team player, and this move is one of the greeediest in NFL history. It is Revis that needs to change his stance. Personally I would say trade him for a first and a second or third something like that, but I dont think anyone else will pay him either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;3715392]Caving to Revis would just be a team ender. No CB, Revis included, is good enough to be the highest paid player in football. The salary that Revis is demanding would kill their ability to sign some of our other key players. Revis has proven that he is not a team player, and this move is one of the greeediest in NFL history. It is Revis that needs to change his stance. Personally I would say trade him for a first and a second or third something like that, but I dont think anyone else will pay him either.[/QUOTE]

Reality is both sides may need to change their stance? This thing may have gotten so personal that an outside arbitrator should be brought in to take some of the emotion at of it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;3715392]Caving to Revis would just be a team ender. No CB, Revis included, is good enough to be the highest paid player in football. The salary that Revis is demanding would kill their ability to sign some of our other key players. Revis has proven that he is not a team player, and this move is one of the greeediest in NFL history. It is Revis that needs to change his stance. Personally I would say trade him for a first and a second or third something like that, but I dont think anyone else will pay him either.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!! i dont know... other than the fear of us not winning games..where does he have negotiating power????/..eventually all things comes back to your own personal finances and revis is staring down a barrell if he holds out this year of no pay this year a possible lockout next year w no pay..his agents feel the jets would trade him but i really think the jets are geting pressure from owners and the nfl not to cave in to this guy..you cant have guys constantly breaking contracts..the jets as much as its not good business for them never to get anything for revis should tell him and his agent your staring down the barrels of 3 years no pay and 3 years of no football activity which you will never recoup..lets see what he does then???????

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;3715392]Caving to Revis would just be a team ender. No CB, Revis included, is good enough to be the highest paid player in football. The salary that Revis is demanding would kill their ability to sign some of our other key players. Revis has proven that he is not a team player, and this move is one of the greediest in NFL history. It is Revis that needs to change his stance. Personally I would say trade him for a first and a second or third something like that, but I dont think anyone else will pay him either.[/QUOTE]

You have 2 factors people keep forgetting.. 1 is the other owners are still pissed at Davis for making CB pay in line with QBs.. And 2 besides the 16 million the cost to another team in what they would have to give up for the Greedy one would be a burden that no sane owner or GM would consider.. And if the Country caved like the the thread poster wants in passed negotiations we would be speaking German or Japanese now.. Come to think of it with the current idiots that are in Washington Farci or Arabic with Sharia law could be in the future..:eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    F*ck this guy. We may not get any value for a valuable commodity, but I say let him rot. He's ruined our season, the Jets should ruin his career.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was so glad that Kyle Wilson was going to be under the tutelage of him, now my anger for him has now turned to utter disappointment.
    No heart, not a team player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3715411]F*ck this guy. We may not get any value for a valuable commodity, but I say let him rot. He's ruined our season, the Jets should ruin his career.[/QUOTE]

+1111111111111111111111111:yes::yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3715404]EXACTLY!! i dont know... other than the fear of us not winning games..where does he have negotiating power????/..eventually all things comes back to your own personal finances and revis is staring down a barrell if he holds out this year of no pay this year a possible lockout next year w no pay..his agents feel the jets would trade him but i really think the jets are geting pressure from owners and the nfl not to cave in to this guy..you cant have guys constantly breaking contracts..the jets as much as its not good business for them never to get anything for revis should tell him and his agent your staring down the barrels of 3 years no pay and 3 years of no football activity which you will never recoup..lets see what he does then???????[/QUOTE]

I understand why Revis held out this off season. It made a lot of sense.

1. He was coming off a highly publiced season (he was just as good the year before as well, but didn't get as much pub)

2. High expectations for the Jets

3. Last year of Aso's crazy contract.

4. Low year in his contract scheduled to make 1mil looks like he is severely underpaid.

If he holds out next year and asks to be the highest paid corner, he could command 12-13 mil a year, which is what the jets are currently offering him. He wants more then that and he's trying to hold the Jets hostage.

I believe he's eventually going to take an offer this season, because if he misses out on 12-13 mil this year, thats a lot of money, and he knows he isnt going to get more then that next year, or not enough more that he can recoupe the loss of 12 million this year. Its just a matter of time and he's playing chicken to see if Jets go into panic mode and up their offer a little more as the opener comes closer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3715266]Tannenbaum hasn't stopped negotiating with Team Revis.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I don't know why people think Tanny has stopped negotiating. That's his job.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should get your money back on that seminar.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3715404]EXACTLY!! i dont know... other than the fear of us not winning games..where does he have negotiating power????/..eventually all things comes back to your own personal finances and revis is staring down a barrell if he holds out this year of no pay this year a possible lockout next year w no pay..his agents feel the jets would trade him but i really think the jets are geting pressure from owners and the nfl not to cave in to this guy..you cant have guys constantly breaking contracts..the jets as much as its not good business for them never to get anything for revis should tell him and his agent your staring down the barrels of 3 years no pay and 3 years of no football activity which you will never recoup..lets see what he does then???????[/QUOTE]

This may well be why his side is so entrenched. The entire Cap system which has helped bring competition to the league make it grow and made many millions for players and owner is totally at odds with the sense of the individual having ownership for his future.

Having young millionare players who become property of the clubs with few options is bound to create a sense of helplessness and resentment. The team needs to foster that sense of respect for the contract and system in order to keep the team from comming apart at the seems. That's also at odds with the individual reward for performance that is programed into us to make us responsible adults.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3715369]the offseason rots the brains

we thinking about these issues without the context of football games

if we see this team without Revis, his worth will be painfully apparent.

it's not about honor or greed. it's about winning. And they win more with him than without him.[/QUOTE]

Jesus H will you please shut up. You've become a babbling brook of hyperbole

WE ALL FRIGGIN' know the value Revis has on this team, his talent, and NONE of us think he doesn't deserve a payday, the question, is, and has ALWAYS been, that the payday needs to be reflective of the market, and good for the team for the long term.

NO WAY should the Jets give in and pay Revis an obscene amount of money just because the roster may be set up for a championship run, if they break the bank for one player, they will have a bigger mess on their plates at the end of the season when other players start lining up to do the same thing.

Should Revis get paid? Yes

Should he be paid amongst the top 3 at his position? Yes

Are there CBA rules in place that create constraints in what the Jets can offer Revis? Yes

Have other teams as well as the Jets in the Ferguson and Mangold deals given extensions to comply with those constraints? Yes

Is Revis' team being unreasonable with all of this considered? From all indications, Yes

Does Revis deserve a big pay day that is within the structure of the team's long term plans? Yes

Should the team cave and just give in? Hell no

Will it suck not to have Revis? Hell yes

Should we all want what is best for the TEAM? Yes!!!!

/THREAD and all discussions on this topic!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3715275]Yes we will. Football is a team sport, especially on defense. This isn't basketball, where if you have Kobe Bryant you're automatically in the Conference Finals. In that case you have to give Kobe whatever he wants, he has 5 rings and it's because of him for the most part. Revis makes a difference on defense, but not THAT big of a difference. You need to be able to sign other players too. Even Revis can only cover half the field. Who's supposed to defend the other half when he's making $16 million per year?[/QUOTE]

Great post. I think we need to remember is that as Sanchez goes, the Jets go. If we lose Revis then I believe we can sign both Braylon and Santonio, both of which will be important to Mark's long term development. Quite frankly I would take Edwards, Cromartie and Santonio over just Revis any day of the week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan8099;3715285]My opinion is that we should let it be real clear that he has 2 options. Play for the contract on the table or sit for 3 years, paying the Jets $16K per day. Be clear that he will never be traded. In 4 yrs time he will be worthless.

How greedy can one man be. Glad to see there are still great people like Mangold in this world.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget David Harris, dude is playing out his contract like a man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;3715429]Don't forget David Harris, dude is playing out his contract like a man.[/QUOTE]

Why haven't we resigned him?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3715424]Jesus H will you please shut up. You've become a babbling brook of hyperbole

[/QUOTE]

And he's the only one:rolleyes:

At least his repetitive posts are mercifully short.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3715431]Why haven't we resigned him?[/QUOTE]

Both sides agreed to wait until the end of the season when the CBA is clearer and they can work out a long term deal.