Thread: HDMI vs. Component

HDMI vs. Component

Hey fellas. Hope you're all enjoying your hurricane-free weekend. I purchased a 36" LG 1080p LED tv a couple weeks ago. I'm using the component cables that came with it. Just wondering if HDMI cables will really improve the picture quality coming from my cable box. Any and all advice welcome.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3715441]Hey fellas. Hope you're all enjoying your hurricane-free weekend. I purchased a 36" LG 1080p LED tv a couple weeks ago. I'm using the component cables that came with it. Just wondering if HDMI cables will really improve the picture quality coming from my cable box. Any and all advice welcome.[/QUOTE]

You likely won't notice a difference between the picture quality in HDMI to component video. Both carry a full bandwidth HD video signal as far as I know. There were some tests a few years ago that found HDMI and Component video were about equally as good with picture quality. Not sure if that was pre-HDMI 1.3 or not, but it may not have changed even if it was.

Obviously, a benefit to HDMI is that it also carries audio so you only need one cable whereas if you're using Component for video you will need a separate cable(s) for audio [I]if[/I] you need to transmit audio. For example, I have an HDMI cable from by home theater receiver to my TV but I don't use the TV for sound as I have surround sound speakers, but the TV is receiving an audio signal nonetheless.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-04-2010 at 12:40 PM.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3715451]You likely won't notice a difference between the picture quality in HDMI to component video. Both carry a full bandwidth HD video signal as far as I know. There were some tests a few years ago that found HDMI and Component video were about equally as good with picture quality. Not sure if that was pre-HDMI 1.3 or not, but it may not have changed even if it was.

Obviously, a benefit to HDMI is that it also carries audio so you only need one cable whereas if you're using Component for video you will need a separate cable(s) for audio [I]if[/I] you need to transmit audio. For example, I have an HDMI cable from by home theater receiver to my TV but I don't use the TV for sound as I have surround sound speakers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks JS. What kind of home theater set up do you have.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3715453]Thanks JS. What kind of home theater set up do you have.[/QUOTE]

Onkyo SR805 HT receiver, DirecTV HD DVR+, Apple TV, JVC DVD, Ninetendo Wii and on-wall/in-ceiling Definitive Technology speakers (5.1) around a Panasonic 50" plasma. It's been in for about 4 years and is serving me well. My pride and joy right now is the Logitech Harmony 900 (it's basically the Harmony One but has RF so I don't need line of sight to the components)!

[IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7272/img3470o.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3715503]Onkyo SR805 HT receiver, DirecTV HD DVR+, Apple TV, JVC DVD, Ninetendo Wii and on-wall/in-ceiling Definitive Technology speakers (5.1) around a Panasonic 50" plasma. It's been in for about 4 years and is serving me well. My pride and joy right now is the Logitech Harmony 900 (it's basically the Harmony One but has RF so I don't need line of sight to the components)!

[IMG]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7272/img3470o.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sweet set up JS.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3715441]Hey fellas. Hope you're all enjoying your hurricane-free weekend. I purchased a 36" LG 1080p LED tv a couple weeks ago. I'm using the component cables that came with it. Just wondering if HDMI cables will really improve the picture quality coming from my cable box. Any and all advice welcome.[/QUOTE]

Yes. you should notice even a slight difference (better) vs Component but you need to try it out. One is Digital the other Analog. There are settings on the STB
    as well as the TV that will affect picture and sound.

You will probbaly want HDMI for the sound, are you using 2 channel audio?

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3715503]Onkyo SR805 HT receiver, DirecTV HD DVR+, Apple TV, JVC DVD, Ninetendo Wii and on-wall/in-ceiling Definitive Technology speakers (5.1) around a Panasonic 50" plasma. It's been in for about 4 years and is serving me well. My pride and joy right now is the Logitech Harmony 900 (it's basically the Harmony One but has RF so I don't need line of sight to the components)!

:bling:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3715451]You likely won't notice a difference between the picture quality in HDMI to component video. Both carry a full bandwidth HD video signal as far as I know. There were some tests a few years ago that found HDMI and Component video were about equally as good with picture quality. Not sure if that was pre-HDMI 1.3 or not, but it may not have changed even if it was.

Obviously, a benefit to HDMI is that it also carries audio so you only need one cable whereas if you're using Component for video you will need a separate cable(s) for audio [I]if[/I] you need to transmit audio. For example, I have an HDMI cable from by home theater receiver to my TV but I don't use the TV for sound as I have surround sound speakers, but the TV is receiving an audio signal nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

besides digital vs analog, component was rated for 720p and 1080i on some devices, but not 1080p.

Better to use HDMI. And you can get the cables relatively cheaply like bluejeans cables.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=quantum;3715705]besides digital vs analog, component was rated for 720p and 1080i on some devices, but not 1080p.

Better to use HDMI. And you can get the cables relatively cheaply like bluejeans cables.[/QUOTE]

I agree, HDMI. But I have also heard it is better to get them in quality as well, I have.

I found that the colors were way more vibrant with HDMI.

We finally switched a few months ago because our sound on the TV would go in and out. I used the HDMI instead, we forgot we had an extra laying around otherwise we'd have used it from the beginning. Anyway, HDMI fixed the sound problems and I noticed the image quality was substantially more vivid with the HDMI. Could be the cable boxes or something else but it was definitely a noticeable difference for my TV. I have a 60in Sony XBR rear projection LCD in case anyone is wondering.

All Pro
    HDMI is MUCH better than component, but if you're watching regular cable, you won't notice the difference. you'll notice it in bluray's, ps3/xbox, and computers plugged into the tv.

Rookie
    I think on the PS3 you will get a worse picture through HDMI if you also use it for audio. I had that problem, but can't remember if it was the PS3 or the TV that caused it. Just try it, if it looks better, go for it, if you don't notice a difference, then who cares?

If you do decide to go HDMI, don't buy the cable at best buy or somewhere like that.

you can get hdmi cables on amazon for 2 dollars vs. the 70 they charge you at best buy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=CUJet;3716218]If you do decide to go HDMI, don't buy the cable at best buy or somewhere like that.

you can get hdmi cables on amazon for 2 dollars vs. the 70 they charge you at best buy.[/QUOTE]

+1

Best place to go IMO...

[url]http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp[/url]

All Pro

If we're talking watching Blu-rays and other high-def programming, go HDMI all the way although the difference in quality considering the small screen size of 36" won't be as noticeable. If you're talking standard def stuff, stick with component.

For all my cabling needs, I hit [url]www.bluejeanscable.com[/url] .

Nice set up, Bro! I remember seeing this pic a few years back but didn't realize that was your rig, nice.
    Last edited by RageATL; 09-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Veteran

Cut out the cable box from your other medias. Cable and satellite come into your home thru co-ax cable and that's the lowest form of media transmission.
    I use S-video for my direct tv and component for everything else. HDMI is great but not a must.

[QUOTE=southside;3715718]I found that the colors were way more vibrant with HDMI.

We finally switched a few months ago because our sound on the TV would go in and out. I used the HDMI instead, we forgot we had an extra laying around otherwise we'd have used it from the beginning. Anyway, HDMI fixed the sound problems and I noticed the image quality was substantially more vivid with the HDMI. Could be the cable boxes or something else but it was definitely a noticeable difference for my TV. I have a 60in Sony XBR rear projection LCD in case anyone is wondering.[/QUOTE]

I think that each input on that tv is capable of different picture settings. That's probably what it is.