Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Sanchez call a better game than Scott?

Did Sanchez call a better game than Scott?

Seriously. Rewatching this game again, there was a much better flow of plays and rythym to the offense than is not present when Schott calls the plays which is incredibly predictable.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree. Sanchez did a much better job calling the offense than Bart Scott did

another DUMPworthy thread from the "we hate Schotty" patrol

All League
    Sanchez did call a hell of a preseason game... Hopefully he will use some of those play-calling skills this year by using audibles to get us out of dead plays. We didn't do that much last season which is understandable when you have a rookie behind center.

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;3715888]I agree. Sanchez did a much better job calling the offense than Bart Scott did

another DUMPworthy thread from the "we hate Schotty" patrol[/QUOTE]

You forgot to label him a SOJF... Your slacking. ;)

I still remember when all QBs called their own games. Sometimes the OCs over-think the game and don't have the game feel of the guy behind center.

All League
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3715894]I still remember when all QBs called their own games. Sometimes the OCs over-think the game and don't have the game feel of the guy behind center.[/QUOTE]

+1. There are only a few QB's that still call their own plays behind center still playing in the league... Peyton being the most popular.

After watching Sanchez call plays in the pre-season, I would be comfortable with him calling his own plays if he sees a way to exploit the other team's D.

[QUOTE=KingofNY;3715896]+1. There are only a few QB's that still call their own plays behind center still playing in the league... Peyton being the most popular.[/QUOTE]

IMO, that's where we lost part of the greatness of the sport. They took the responsibility for calling of the play--right then and now--and executing away from the player (QB), and put it in the hands of a coach. I think the game became more complicated than it should ever have been because OCs needed to justify their existence.

Jesus, these threads are pathetic.

Right, Sanchez did call plays on a few series, but whose playbook was it, who put the game plan together, who do you think reviewed that game plan with all of his QB's?

Really, is this even thread worthy?

The only thing I do take out of the move by the Jets, is that it helps Sanchez see things from his offensive coaches' perspective, and yes, true, he can take the game plan, see what Schotty Jr wants to do or is trying to do and apply it, perhaps change it on the field based on what the defense is doing, and how they plan to attack it each week.

But really, are some of us so naive that you are willing to make an argument about Sanchez vs. Schotty in game calling?

*facepalm

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3715897]IMO, that's where we lost part of the greatness of the sport. They took the responsibility for calling of the play--right then and now--and executing away from the player (QB), and put it in the hands of a coach. I think the game became more complicated than it should ever have been because OCs needed to justify their existence.[/QUOTE]

It's a good argument, a good point, which should only help us feel better about the Jets situation. Here we have an offensive coordinator in Schotty Jr, who wants his QB to see things from his eyes, but make calls based on his system, he wants Sanchez to do the things on the field, and make decisions from own perspective, and through his OC's eyes, but do it based on what the defenses are showing him.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 09-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3715899]It's a good argument, a good point, which should only help us feel better about the Jets situation. [B]Here we have an offfensive coordinator in Schotty Jr, who wants his QB to see things from his eyes, but make calls based on his system, he wants Sanchez to do the things on the field, in his own decision making and his own perspective, through his OC's eyes, but do it based on what the defenses are showing him.[/B][/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I wish the "art" of being a QB (calling plays right in the heat of battle under duress) were still taught at the earliest levels and carried through into college and the pros. You see QBs running onto the field with arm bands full of plays and formations, plus getting signals from the OC just to call a simple trap. Part of me wishes football never got this complicated. I love the speed and intensity of the modern game, but you should not need a slide rule to play it. (Do they even us slide rules ant more? :D)

All League
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3715898]Jesus, these threads are pathetic.

Right, Sanchez did call plays on a few series, but whose playbook was it, who put the game plan together, who do you think reviewed that game plan with all of his QB's?

Really, is this even thread worthy?

The only thing I do take out of the move by the Jets, is that it helps Sanchez see things from his offensive coaches' perspective, and yes, true, he can take the game plan, see what Schotty Jr wants to do or is trying to do and apply it, perhaps change it on the field based on what the defense is doing, and how they plan to attack it each week.

But really, are some of us so naive that you are willing to make an argument about Sanchez vs. Schotty in game calling?

*facepalm[/QUOTE]

Have you even read the responses to the thread? No one said he was better than Shotty... No one. Next time read the responses before you try to defend someone (shotty) who's not even under attack. All that was being discussed was how it benefited Sanchez to call the plays and how the NFL was better when QB's used to call their own plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3715892]You forgot to label him a SOJF... Your slacking. ;)[/QUOTE]

"you're"

[QUOTE=KingofNY;3715902]Have you even read the responses to the thread? No one said he was better than Shotty... No one. Next time read the responses before you try to defend someone (shotty) who's not even under attack. All that was being discussed was how it benefited Sanchez to call the plays and how the NFL was better when QB's used to call their own plays.[/QUOTE]

The response in this thread, at least the last few are fine, it's the opening thread that disgusts me, and it isn't the first time I've seen somebody make a comment about the job Sanchez did in calling a couple of series' worth of plays, and then suggest Sanchez does a better job calling the plays that Schotty does his own system. It's mindboggling.

All League
    Doesn't Manning/Brady/Brees call their plays to a certain degree? Obviously it's from their respective OC's play book but I think (especially Manning) is given a set of plays and then he basically calls it as he's see's from the LOS... it could prove to work. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez and Schotty sat down before the preseason game and thought it might work.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3715899]It's a good argument, a good point, which should only help us feel better about the Jets situation. Here we have an offensive coordinator in Schotty Jr, who wants his QB to see things from his eyes, but make calls based on his system, he wants Sanchez to do the things on the field, and make decisions from own perspective, and through his OC's eyes, but do it based on what the defenses are showing him.[/QUOTE]

There's a reason why the best QB's in the league take command and call their own plays based on some advice from the OC and what he see's. It seems to slow the game down for them.

You guys do realize that, in preseason, the object of the playcaller is to show nothing, to reveal no tendencies, and give away no surprises, right?

I'm all for *****ing about Schotty once the season starts, but this is absurd.

The preseason has always been designed for players getting a feel for the speed of the game, as well as the coaching staff getting a better feel for individual players heading into the regular season.

It's never been designed for offensive coordinators to show off their playbook or offensive strategy.

Shotty Jr wasn't the first OC, and he won't be the last OC to keep the play calling vanilla during the preseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez did call a better game then schotty but that is not really an accomplishment. I do it every Sunday from my couch about 8 beers deep.

[QUOTE=johnnysd;3715851]Seriously. Rewatching this game again, there was a much better flow of plays and rythym to the offense than is not present when Schott calls the plays which is incredibly predictable.[/QUOTE]

If ignorance is bliss, you must be the happiest mother f@^ker on Earth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3715894]I still remember when all QBs called their own games. Sometimes the OCs over-think the game and don't have the game feel of the guy behind center.[/QUOTE]

Peyton Manning does..:yes: