Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real Jets fans please read: Revis saga

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]=pblmax99;3715914]Just want to say great forum this is my first post..been reading it for a while now..and been a Jets fan for years...and had to post on the Revis problem.[/QUOTE]

Welcome Jets fan for years.

[QUOTE]Being a Jets fan that bleeds green...I still get the butterflies and sweaty palms before a game...this Darelle Revis contract thing is bothering me and is causing me to not be as "interested" this year.[/QUOTE]

As you get older the lack of interest or focus thing gets even tougher. Make notes for yourself and try and be more disciplined in general. Do cross word puzzles and maybe try taking Omega 3's.

[QUOTE]As all you long time Jets fans know..we have gone through some real garbage....from Kotite to Coslet to AFC championship in Denver, to Vinny's achillies tear in wk 1, to Doug Brien in Pittsburgh...not to mention a ton of horrible seasons, bad draft picks and terrible performances in between yet we show up every Sunday.

I cannot remember a time when we actually had a coach who although he talks a lot can actually coach....and had some real home grown, drafted talent to root for..Mangold, Harris, Ferguson, Sanchez, Greene..and Revis in the most key positions on the field. [/QUOTE]

It's really cool having a GM that gets it.

[QUOTE]This Revis thing is really giving me a bad feeling...first of all...yes he has an uncle in Sean Gilbert who got his $$$ and became a nothing..and yes..he has some problem agents....and may seem like he is asking for too much...but how often does a talent like him come around? Woody and Mike T I hope you read this forum....cuz Jets fans shelled out 500 million plus $$ in PSL's this year...just for the right to watch this team play...and it seems to me if Revis is not there...we will not be watching the best product for our money.[/QUOTE]

As a long time Jets fan I remember a ton of talented guys, Winston Hill, Joe Namath, Gerry Philbin, Marvin Powell, George Sauer Jr, Freeman McNeal, Joe Kelcko, At Toon, Keyshawn Johnson, John Abraham, Nick Mangold, Vinny T, Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin. In spite of all that great home grown talent, management seems to be the big missing ingredient to winning.

[QUOTE]Just sign the guy..give him a decent contract...GUARANTEED money...10 for 162 and 10 for 122 means nothing...its the guaranteed money that counts...all we as Jets fans hear is what ifs...what if there is a cap...after next yr...well what if there is no cap..or what if there is a soft cap ala the NBA where you can go over that cap and resign your core guys...and you will let a talent like D. Revis go for what? God forbid..it comes out in the media..that it was a difference in 10-15 mil or so in guaranteed money for the life of the contract....Jets fans wont forget letting a first team all pro sit..and go elsewhere. [/QUOTE]

Unless of course we win anyway trade him for value and build a competitive team that competes for years than most of us won't give a s.

[QUOTE]As a real Jets fan..and not some fly by night..bandwagon jumper that seem to be cropping up all over since Hard Knocks...I dont care about Cromartie, B. Edwards and S. Holmes resigning..however I do care about D. Revis being a superstar Jet for years to come...and I think a lot of Jets fans agree.[/QUOTE]

If Cro, Edwards and Holmes are making great plays to win games for the Jets as a Jets fan I will be freaking loving it no end.

[QUOTE]Mike T and Woody especially..you have asked a lot of Jets fans..laying out PSL's, filling the new stadium, etc....GET DARELLE REVIS SIGNED.....do you think Bill Belichick and T. Sporano are scheming for J. Taylor, Cromartie??? But I do know they would be worrying...how do I get my best playmaker away from Darelle Revis???? LET'S GO...MIKE T.[/QUOTE]

Mike T and Woody thanks for trying to build the team and put top coaches in place, manage the cap, build the best training facility for our players and a great new stadium that we aren't a second class tenant in for the first time in our history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3715957]Something seems a bit suspicious about this guy.[/QUOTE]

+1. I think its Schwartz trying to fix his client's image since the... .:hit_the_f

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ScruzJets;3715999]This is why "real" Jet fans are siding with management. We have a management team that understands how to build a long term winner. That's what "real" fans want.[/QUOTE]

I would say the same thing, but substituting smart for 'real', since I feel more comfortable insulting peoples intelligence than their commitment.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ScruzJets;3715999]This is why "real" Jet fans are siding with management. We have a management team that understands how to build a long term winner. That's what "real" fans want.[/QUOTE]

I'd be content with a winner to start.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    why would a real Jet fan be unconcerned about signing Harris, Cromartie, Edwards and Holmes so we could invest 16 million dollars a year in a position which, with Cromartie and Wilson as starters IS CURRENTLY much better than it was last year with Megreed and Sheppard??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;3715971]Wow;exactly when did this poster molest your family member!!!! I am with you. :eek:

And here I just thought he had a different opinion than you!!!!!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Dude, do you realize that the majority of your posts (that I've read at least) knock people who disagree with the "Pro-Revis" camp?

You kinda lose your ability to preach "tolerance" when you're not showing any yourself . . .:rolleyes:

Since you left your objectivity at the door, let me remind you that the TITLE of this thread said "REAL JETS FANS" then went on to say how the TEAM had to do something about the Greedis situation . . .

Imply we're not real Jets fans, expect not-so-nice responses.

See how that works?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3715998]No, he wants him in the D huddle, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

Of course he WANTS Revis on the field, but you're nuts if you think Rex isn't burning the midnight oil finding ways to prove he can win without him . . .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    LET HIM ROT

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greenwave81;3715920]Whatever...apparently D. Revis doesn't care half as much as you do.

Or he'd be in camp.[/QUOTE]

To these guys its a job with a very small window to make as much $$$ as possible. To the fans its about winning a Superbowl. The reality is the NFL is a entertainment and marketing business. Nothing more and nothing less.

The players perspective is far different than a fan.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, do you realize that the majority of your posts (that I've read at least) knock people who disagree with the "Pro-Revis" camp?

You kinda lose your ability to preach "tolerance" when you're not showing any yourself . . .

Since you left your objectivity at the door, let me remind you that the TITLE of this thread said "REAL JETS FANS" then went on to say how the TEAM had to do something about the Greedis situation . . .

Imply we're not real Jets fans, expect not-so-nice responses.

I hear ya....maybe the title was wrong..there is obviously a lot of REAL JETS FANS HERE....I'm just getting a bad feeling bout this season..of course Sanchez is as important as revis...but not having your best player on the field never seems to be a recipe for success..be it his fault, managements fault or whatever....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;3715936]**** Revis. We will be top 5 without. Still good enough to win it all. Sanchez is the key not Revis. **** Revis[/QUOTE]

Agreed...I hope he sits. loses his endorsements and then he and Sean Gilbert can go F*ck theselves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey

Hey I hope you are all right....Kyle Wilson is the second coming, Cromartie can actually tackle this year and not be as soft as we saw in the playoffs, Jenkins stays healthy, Gholston makes plays, and Sanchez plays well....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetman67;3716019]To these guys its a job with a very small window to make as much $$$ as possible. To the fans its about winning a Superbowl. The reality is the NFL is a entertainment and marketing business. Nothing more and nothing less.

The players perspective is far different than a fan.[/QUOTE]

Agreed ...but now Mevis has to contemplate losing a FULL year on what..a 7 to 9 year career?

Economics will drive his decision to play possibly. I say, pay him his $1 mil and let him sit on the bench and whatever it costs... let him stay a JET so he will not get a prime deal. I'll chip in for that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetman67;3716019]To these guys its a job with a very small window to make as much $$$ as possible. To the fans its about winning a Superbowl. The reality is the NFL is a entertainment and marketing business. Nothing more and nothing less.

The players perspective is far different than a fan.[/QUOTE]

True, but from a business standpoint, don't you think a player would:

1) want to play for Rex, as your personal numbers are likely to skew higher, making you more valuable in the future?

2) want to at least LOOK like a "team player" to eliminate any potential concerns for future employers?

3) want to maximize your PRESENT value, not pass up money in the HOPES of making more in the future?

Most of us understand the players have to take their own interests into account -- otherwise they'd play for free . . .

But somehow guys like Brick and Mangold were able to get done. Guys like Manning and Brady are playing while they negotiate.

In the end, NO ONE HAS EVER DONE WHAT GREEDIS IS DOING.

There is NO precedent for players holding out with THREE years left on the contract.

People can tell me how much contracts resemble toilet paper all they want -- all I know is, if this was really THAT "unfair", we would have seen A LOT more cases of it happening . . .

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pblmax99;3715914]Just want to say great forum this is my first post..been reading it for a while now..and been a Jets fan for years...and had to post on the Revis problem.

Being a Jets fan that bleeds green...I still get the butterflies and sweaty palms before a game...this Darelle Revis contract thing is bothering me and is causing me to not be as "interested" this year.

As all you long time Jets fans know..we have gone through some real garbage....from Kotite to Coslet to AFC championship in Denver, to Vinny's achillies tear in wk 1, to Doug Brien in Pittsburgh...not to mention a ton of horrible seasons, bad draft picks and terrible performances in between yet we show up every Sunday.

I cannot remember a time when we actually had a coach who although he talks a lot can actually coach....and had some real home grown, drafted talent to root for..Mangold, Harris, Ferguson, Sanchez, Greene..and Revis in the most key positions on the field.

This Revis thing is really giving me a bad feeling...first of all...yes he has an uncle in Sean Gilbert who got his $$$ and became a nothing..and yes..he has some problem agents....and may seem like he is asking for too much...but how often does a talent like him come around? Woody and Mike T I hope you read this forum....cuz Jets fans shelled out 500 million plus $$ in PSL's this year...just for the right to watch this team play...and it seems to me if Revis is not there...we will not be watching the best product for our money.

Just sign the guy..give him a decent contract...GUARANTEED money...10 for 162 and 10 for 122 means nothing...its the guaranteed money that counts...all we as Jets fans hear is what ifs...what if there is a cap...after next yr...well what if there is no cap..or what if there is a soft cap ala the NBA where you can go over that cap and resign your core guys...and you will let a talent like D. Revis go for what? God forbid..it comes out in the media..that it was a difference in 10-15 mil or so in guaranteed money for the life of the contract....Jets fans wont forget letting a first team all pro sit..and go elsewhere.

As a real Jets fan..and not some fly by night..bandwagon jumper that seem to be cropping up all over since Hard Knocks...I dont care about Cromartie, B. Edwards and S. Holmes resigning..however I do care about D. Revis being a superstar Jet for years to come...and I think a lot of Jets fans agree.

Mike T and Woody especially..you have asked a lot of Jets fans..laying out PSL's, filling the new stadium, etc....GET DARELLE REVIS SIGNED.....do you think Bill Belichick and T. Sporano are scheming for J. Taylor, Cromartie??? But I do know they would be worrying...how do I get my best playmaker away from Darelle Revis???? LET'S GO...MIKE T.[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard...don't take it to heart when guys slam your opinion, it happens a lot around here. :cool:

imho if revis wanted to be here for the Jets he would be already. 10 for 120, or 40mm guaranteed seems like enough money to make sure generations of your family are fed and happy. You only get so many chances at being a star on a championship team. Revis needs to think long and hard about those things.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets win;3716033]Welcome aboard...don't take it to heart when guys slam your opinion, it happens a lot around here. :cool:

imho if revis wanted to be here for the Jets he would be already. 10 for 120, or 40mm guaranteed seems like enough money to make sure generations of your family are fed and happy. You only get so many chances at being a star on a championship team. Revis needs to think[B] long and hard [/B]about those things.[/QUOTE]

Now your speaking Limo's language..;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3716030]Agreed ...but now Mevis has to contemplate losing a FULL year on what..a 7 to 9 year career?

Economics will drive his decision to play possibly. I say, pay him his $1 mil and let him sit on the bench and whatever it costs... let him stay a JET so he will not get a prime deal. I'll chip in for that.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they can trade him to Oakland for draft picks. He may enjoy working for Al Davis. LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3716037]Now your speaking Limo's language..;)[/QUOTE]
    lol :D

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3716013]Of course he WANTS Revis on the field, but you're nuts if you think Rex isn't burning the midnight oil finding ways to prove he can win without him . . .[/QUOTE]

He isn't the lights go out in his house at somewhat reasonable hour.:)