Thread: Max Jean-Gilles: UFA available for less than 24 hours???

Max Jean-Gilles: UFA available for less than 24 hours???

Hey guys. First the source/link:

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eaglesmoves[/url]

The upshot: The Eagles traded Stacy Andrews to the Seahawks.

HOWEVER, since the deal was not consummated with the league office by the 6pm, 53-man roster cutdown deadline, the Eagles decided to "release" Max Jean-Gilles to make the necessary roster size. :eek:

Clearly, it's a organizational move, and the Eagles and MJ-G have an unspoken agreement that he's getting resigned on Sunday.

But - he is technically a UFA, and I remember some posters here were hot to trot for this guy.

Would he be a significant enough upgrade over Slauson, that Tanny should be getting on the phone to his agent and talking about getting him to sign elsewhere (i.e. with the Jets)?

Just a thought - wonder what some of the posters who are more knowledgeable about this particular player think.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Howard Green was cut from the Skins....Wouldn't mind gettig that dude back

[QUOTE=Oldtime Jets fan;3716124]Hey guys. First the source/link:

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eaglesmoves[/url]

The upshot: The Eagles traded Stacy Andrews to the Seahawks.

HOWEVER, since the deal was not consummated with the league office by the 6pm, 53-man roster cutdown deadline, the Eagles decided to "release" Max Jean-Gilles to make the necessary roster size. :eek:

Clearly, it's a organizational move, and the Eagles and MJ-G have an unspoken agreement that he's getting resigned on Sunday.

But - he is technically a UFA, and I remember some posters here were hot to trot for this guy.

Would he be a significant enough upgrade over Slauson, that Tanny should be getting on the phone to his agent and talking about getting him to sign elsewhere (i.e. with the Jets)?

Just a thought - wonder what some of the posters who are more knowledgeable about this particular player think.[/QUOTE]

Not an upgrade and probably not worth it as a stop gap either. Might as well play Ducasse since Gilles is about as good in pass protection as Vlad.

He was beaten badly several times in the recent preseason game if I recall.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=JonEJet;3716125]Howard Green was cut from the Skins....Wouldn't mind gettig that dude back[/QUOTE]

I'd take Green or C.J. Mosely (assuming they're both healthy). Either one would be much needed D-Line depth.

There's a reason they were willing to cut him. He's been in the league like 4 years and still hasn't established himself. Chances are he never will.

Plus, his conditioning is pretty, well, terrible. He doesn't fit a zone blocking scheme at all, you want more athletic lineman for our scheme.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3716131]I'd take Green or C.J. Mosely (assuming they're both healthy). Either one would be much needed D-Line depth.[/QUOTE]

I think our thoughts on Howard Green were made pretty clear when we cut him in the middle of last season. Only reason he was called back is because Jenkins got hurt. Now, with a healthy Jenkins and a healthy Pouha, there's no point.

Plus, Jarvis Green was also cut, and is a far better player then either of those scrubs.

Jets Insider VIP
    He still has to pass through waivers, not be claimed, and then become an UFA.

[QUOTE=SMC;3716141]He still has to pass through waivers, not be claimed, and then become an UFA.[/QUOTE]

No offense SMC, but assuming you are talking about MJ-G, did you even read the link I posted?

It explicitly states that "MJ-G is a vested veteran and thus not subject to the Waiver system."

It's all a moot point anyways - guy is resigning with the Eagles tomorrow, just wanted to know what people think.

Apparently he has been pretty crummy, so it sounds like we are better off with Slauson/Vlad for both the immediate term, and also the future.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Oldtime Jets fan;3716154]No offense SMC, but assuming you are talking about MJ-G, did you even read the link I posted?

It explicitly states that "MJ-G is a vested veteran and thus not subject to the Waiver system."

It's all a moot point anyways - guy is resigning with the Eagles tomorrow, just wanted to know what people think.

Apparently he has been pretty crummy, so it sounds like we are better off with Slauson/Vlad for both the immediate term, and also the future.[/QUOTE]

Gilles doesn't want to come here.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

here's the amazing thing about the Eagles...they had thirteen picks in April's draft...every pick but one, Jeff Owens, made the team as did udfa Austin Howards...

they traded one pick (charles scott) for another pick (jorrick calvin) and calvin made the team...this from a franchise that is contending every year and has recently come away with the likes of jeremy maclin, desean jackson....fuqin amazing...absolutely love their scouting department...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Oldtime Jets fan;3716154]No offense SMC, but assuming you are talking about MJ-G, did you even read the link I posted?

Apparently he has been pretty crummy, so it sounds like we are better off with Slauson/Vlad for both the immediate term, and also the future.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I did read the article but completely missed that part. That's what I get for skimming.

Jets Insider VIP
    they drafted Max Jean Jellyroll in the second round and, after 4 years, he still isn't a starter and they just cut Andrews who was another very high pick bust....

Yes, I recall that

[QUOTE=cingular;3716129]Not an upgrade and probably not worth it as a stop gap either. Might as well play Ducasse since Gilles is about as good in pass protection as Vlad.

He was beaten badly several times in the recent preseason game if I recall.[/QUOTE]

I think he was really beaten by CJ Mosely, who is also a free agent cut right now. I don't see it as an upgrade either. Who should we cut to get him? I like Vlade for the future, Turner and Hunter are good subs for now. I'd stand pat.