Thread: Long time fan needs oldtimers help.

Rookie

Long time fan needs oldtimers help.

This will be my 43rd year being a JETS fan. Lots of very good memories and way to many bad ones.

One memory sticks out as one of the greatest things I ever saw a QB do in a game.

I think it was the 69 or 70 season, the JETS were about to score when Joe droped back to pass and got smashed by a d-lineman. When he got up he ran over to his own o-lineman, grabed him by the facemask, and chewed his a** out. Man, was Joe giving this lineman an ear full on national tv.
    I think the JETS scored on the next play, but I really can't remember.

In all my years of watching football I've never seen another QB do that on the field.

Man, I loved Joe. He was a leader.

This is my question to all you oldtimers. Does anyone remember this?
    What year this happend? Who we were playing?

Thanks!

All League
    To start get a list of national TV games for those years. Dont ask me how:eek:

Rookie
    I thought maybe someone here shared this memory.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm older than dirt but I don't specifically remember that play.

I saw all the games in 69 and 70 and honestly don't remember it. Joe had good sportsmanship. The scene you describe was not his style -doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.

Jets Insider VIP
    I also saw all Jets games in that era and can not recall any instance of Joe showing up a teammate like that. It really was not his style. If you do find out please elt us know. I am interested.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I don't remember that but I remember in the finale of 73 at Shea-the OJ 2000 yd game- Joe got pelted w a snow ball and he grabbed it and threw it back into the stands!

This story kind of reminds me of the Peyton Manning-Jeff Saturday incident that took place on the sidelines. Manning didn't grab him by his face mask or anything like that, but he did give him the business.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtX6dm2KG8[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Marino screamed and pointed at his receivers every time he made a bad throw to show them up. Of course, it's not a good comparison because Marino never really gave a crap about anything but his personal statistics as evidenced by ALL those superbowls he won

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3716448]Marino screamed and pointed at his receivers every time he made a bad throw to show them up. Of course, it's not a good comparison because [B]Marino never really gave a crap about anything but his personal statistics as evidenced by ALL those superbowls he won[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh sort of like Curtis Martin..:yes:

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3716222]This will be my 43rd year being a JETS fan. Lots of very good memories and way to many bad ones.

One memory sticks out as one of the greatest things I ever saw a QB do in a game.

I think it was the 69 or 70 season, the JETS were about to score when Joe droped back to pass and got smashed by a d-lineman. When he got up he ran over to his own o-lineman, grabed him by the facemask, and chewed his a** out. Man, was Joe giving this lineman an ear full on national tv.
    I think the JETS scored on the next play, but I really can't remember.

In all my years of watching football I've never seen another QB do that on the field.

Man, I loved Joe. He was a leader.

This is my question to all you oldtimers. Does anyone remember this?
    What year this happend? Who we were playing?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't recall either...I would have been around 10 and probably focused my attention on Teresa in my 4th grade class.:yes:

That said, My memory of Joe was the fake play action against the Jints where he walked into the end zone. May have been pre season, not sure.

Any help there? I think 73/74 not sure.