Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guaranteed Money, Entitlement Generation

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Guaranteed Money, Entitlement Generation

[B]I'm mad as hell and wont take it anymore!!![/B]

[B][U]Guaranteed Money[/U][/B]:
    What is the point of signing a contract if it isn't binding? It is in the real world. My cell phone has a contract. I would have to pay a penalty to get out of it. If you agree to sign a contract then honor it. It isnt a one way proposition that is only in one persons ego and best interest. If I dont get my way, I will take my basketball and walk off the court and go home and nobody will get to play mentality. Oh i get it, its about guaranteed money.

It seems many (but not all) young adults have this sense of[B] self entitlement[/B], that they deserve something for nothing. If I was worried about getting injured on my job, I can't get [B]guaranteed money[/B]. However I can pay for my own disability insurance. Cant other people (and i will not mention any names because we dont need yet another thread about him) [B]purchase insurance to protect against career threathening injuries[/B]. I know of many sports players doing this in the past with [B]Llyods (spelling?) of London[/B]. :steamin:

[B][U] And another thing, Entitlement Generation [/U][/B]
    That's the problem with some of our society today. Get something for nothing. Do something so outrageous that you get your own reality show.

Example: Have 8 kids, be a ditz, have no talent, get a divorce, and go on dancing with the stars.

Snooki shnooki...

How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good lord, i can just imagine the threads that will pop up if Boldin goes for 120and 2TD's on Monday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716232][B]I'm mad as hell and wont take it anymore!!![/B]

What is the point of signing a contract if it isn't binding? It is in the real world. My cell phone has a contract. I would have to pay a penalty to get out of it. If you agree to sign a contract then honor it. It isnt a one way proposition that is only in one persons ego and best interest. If I dont get my way, I will take my basketball and walk off the court and go home and nobody will get to play mentality. Oh i get it, its about guaranteed money.

It seems many (but not all) young adults have this sense of[B] self entitlement[/B], that they deserve something for nothing. If I was worried about getting injured on my job, I can't get [B]guaranteed money[/B]. However I can pay for my own disability insurance. Cant other people (and i will not mention any names because we dont need yet another thread about him) [B]purchase insurance to protect against career threathening injuries[/B]. I know of many sports players doing this in the past with [B]Llyods (spelling?) of London[/B]. :steamin:

That's the problem with some of our society today. Get something for nothing. Do something so outrageous that you get your own reality show.

Example: Have 8 kids, be a ditz, have no talent, get a divorce, and go on dancing with the stars.

Snooki shnooki...

[B]How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/B][/QUOTE]

Well Paul, that just wouldn't make for a very entertaining show now would it? Snooki on the other hand...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Snooki shnooki...

How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 1,000,000,000,000%, but I'm not sure this belongs in the landing strip.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Snooki shnooki...

How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/QUOTE]

I would assume you are bringing this up in regards to Revis. A pro football contract is not like any other pro sports contract......if you are no longer worth what they are paying you, you get cut.....or forced to take a pay cut to stay on the team (See Kellen Clemens).

Today's football players have to get the money now, it may not be there next year. Look at Leon Washington.......he got hurt and lost any negotiating leverage when his contract was up.

As for the rest of your post....

deleted.....don't need to feed the anger
    Last edited by rgoltsch; 09-05-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps

Sorry perhaps you are right. It's late and I'm tired and angry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716232] How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/QUOTE]

I think Buster would watch.

We'll see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rgoltsch;3716241]I would assume you are bringing this up in regards to Revis. A pro football contract is not like any other pro sports contract......if you are no longer worth what they are paying you, you get cut.....or forced to take a pay cut to stay on the team (See Kellen Clemens).
    [/QUOTE]

Ron,

I sign contracts for business all the time, and I don't see how this is any different. We always structure the contract such that if the vendor doesn't perform we have an out. But they don't get paid more for doing a great job. These players just don't live in reality.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Please clarify for me

root cause of post is really about answering this question...

Can't players take out insurance contracts to protect themselves from loosing employment due to injury? Many sports players have in the past.

Players flock to Lloyd’s and London markets at injury time

[url]http://www.lloyds.com/News-and-Insight/News-and-Features/Archive/2006/06/Players_flock_to_Lloyds_and_London_markets_at_injury_time[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716232][B]

Snooki shnooki...

How old are you?

12?

Agree with Revis or not, this is PRO FOOTBALL. A multi-billion $$ business. Don't try and compare it to your $29.99 a month cell phone contract.

Do you realize Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks make $20MM fort a movie? Sly Stallone still gets about $10MM. Oprah makes $100MM a year.

It's ENTERTAINMENT, not school teachers and social workers.

Please stop. You take your basketball and go home, no one gives a sh*t because you aren't a pro player.

Oh, and who the hell wants to watch a reality show about the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons?

I don't agree with what Revis is doing, but seriously, grow up.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716248]root cause of post is really about answering this question...

Can't players take out insurance contracts to protect themselves from loosing employment due to injury? Many sports players have in the past.

Players flock to Lloyd’s and London markets at injury time

[url]http://www.lloyds.com/News-and-Insight/News-and-Features/Archive/2006/06/Players_flock_to_Lloyds_and_London_markets_at_injury_time[/url][/QUOTE]

The policies guard againt career ENDING injuries and are extremely expensive.

They don't guard against an injury that diminishes a players ability.

Stop being naive.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3716251]The policies guard againt career ENDING injuries and are extremely expensive.

They don't guard against an injury that diminishes a players ability.

Stop being naive.

_[/QUOTE]

Which is why the player chooses contract guarantee vs. skill.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tmertz;3716253]Which is why the player chooses contract guarantee vs. skill.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

_

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Premium Players Insurance policies

[url]http://articles.latimes.com/2005/feb/20/sports/sp-leinart20[/url]

Premium Players
    Insurance policies are becoming standard for elite college athletes; just ask Leinart, Bush and six others on the USC football team
    February 20, 2005|Gary Klein, Times Staff WriterTwo-time defending national champion USC will surely open next season No. 1 in at least one category. With its backfield alone expected to be covered for more than $10 million, the Trojans may be the most highly insured team in college football history.

Quarterback Matt Leinart, running backs Reggie Bush and LenDale White and at least five other players either have, or are in the process of securing, policies to insure them against serious injuries. Such policies are a protective staple for elite draft-eligible college football players and, in their own way, have become as standard as helmets, shoulder pads and mouth guards.

And as for you, i'm making a point. I'm aware of entertainment and sports. It is sport but also a business. You are entitled to your opinion, just am I.

I think he is wrong.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

stalemate

I understand what you are saying. Perhaps they need to make a general change around the entire league then?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tmertz;3716246]Ron,

I sign contracts for business all the time, and I don't see how this is any different. We always structure the contract such that if the vendor doesn't perform we have an out. But they don't get paid more for doing a great job. These players just don't live in reality.[/QUOTE]

I too work with contracts for business. I can't see how there is any similarity to Clemens situation. The Jets agree that he can play QB in the NFL, otherwise they wouldn't have kept him on the roster. However, they happened to find another vendor (Player) that can do the job slightly better for the same amount...so he had to take a contract reduction or be canned.

I'm sure you can write in an out to a contract...but you have to give something back in the negotiations to make the person sign that contract. The teams holds all the cards. Your vendors probably have more leverage in dealing with your company than the players have in dealing with the teams.

I was surprised how open the Jets were in their negotiations with Clemens on Hard Knocks last week. The negotiations went something like this.....Yes, you have a contract, yes we agreed to pay you 1 mil per year, but no, we don't think you are worth that. So we are going to cut you unless you agree to work for the minimum.

It is a cutthroat business. I want to see Revis back and I hate the idea of anyone renegging on a contract.........but this is the only card he holds. The NFL owners decided that this is the way they will do business. After seeing how the Jets treated Clemens, I lost most of my sympathy for the team regarding Revis' holdout. They no longer hold the moral high ground in my eyes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716255]

And as for you, i'm making a point. I'm aware of entertainment and sports. It is sport but also a business. You are entitled to your opinion, just am I.

I think he is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Your opinions sound silly and naive.

That's my opinion.

And I agree that Revis is wrong.

But the Revis thing (and non-guarateed NFL contracts) have been debated to death, yet you want to discuss the binding nature of your cell phone contract, like that is analogous or has any relevance to pro sports.

Naive.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder when the Jets will start going after Revis for some of the signing bonus he got from his rookie deal... this could be a costly holdout for Greedis

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716256]I understand what you are saying. Perhaps they need to make a general change around the entire league then?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, how old ARE you?

You probably think world peace is a noble and achievable goal, yes?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rgoltsch;3716257]I too work with contracts for business. I can't see how there is any similarity to Clemens situation. The Jets agree that he can play QB in the NFL, otherwise they wouldn't have kept him on the roster. However, they happened to find another vendor (Player) that can do the job slightly better for the same amount...so he had to take a contract reduction or be canned.

I'm sure you can write in an out to a contract...but you have to give something back in the negotiations to make the person sign that contract. The teams holds all the cards. Your vendors probably have more leverage in dealing with your company than the players have in dealing with the teams.

I was surprised how open the Jets were in their negotiations with Clemens on Hard Knocks last week. The negotiations went something like this.....Yes, you have a contract, yes we agreed to pay you 1 mil per year, but no, we don't think you are worth that. So we are going to cut you unless you agree to work for the minimum.

It is a cutthroat business. I want to see Revis back and I hate the idea of anyone renegging on a contract.........but this is the only card he holds. The NFL owners decided that this is the way they will do business. After seeing how the Jets treated Clemens, I lost most of my sympathy for the team regarding Revis' holdout. They no longer hold the moral high ground in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Clemens, no doubt there would not be an out if the vendor is performing, I was refering to the Revis situation.
    Last edited by tmertz; 09-05-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fix Typo