Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guaranteed Money, Entitlement Generation

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately

I would like to have him on the team playing asap.
    We probably all would agree that the Jets would be better with him than without him and would give the best chance for the Jets to be a srtonger team capable of going to and winning the SuperBowl and/or being an even tougher team for years to come.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716263]I would like to have him on the team playing asap.
    We probably all would agree that the Jets would be better with him than without him and would give the best chance for the Jets to be a srtonger team capable of going to and winning the SuperBowl and/or being an even tougher team for years to come.[/QUOTE]

Really?

You think the Jets would be BETTER with Revis than without him?

That having Revis would give us a better chance of winning?

Really?

It's past my bedtime so I KNOW it's past yours.

Geebus.

_

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Excuse Me?

If you want to discuss the thread then do so. Keep you comments about me to yourself. Keep your personal attack comments to yourself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716266]If you want to discuss the thread then do so. Keep you comments about me to yourself. Keep your personal attack comments to yourself.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, these are not personal attacks.

I think your arguments and rationale are simply extemely naive and have been discussed about a million times on this board.

You started the thread by comparing NFL contracts with your cell phone contract.

What would you like to discuss about that other than how utterly ridiculous that is?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Psychiatrists (sp?) around the country are encountering a new syndrome: "Revis Fatigue".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716232][B]I'm mad as hell and wont take it anymore!!![/B]

[B][U]Guaranteed Money[/U][/B]:
    [B]What is the point of signing a contract if it isn't binding?[/B] [B]It is in the real world. My cell phone has a contract[/B]. I would have to pay a penalty to get out of it. If you agree to sign a contract then honor it. It isnt a one way proposition [B]that is only in one persons ego and best interest[/B]. If I dont get my way,[B] I will take my basketball and walk off the court and go home [/B]and nobody will get to play mentality. Oh i get it, its about guaranteed money.

It seems many (but not all) young adults have this sense of[B] self entitlement[/B], [B]that they deserve something for nothing.[/B] If I was worried about getting injured on my job, I can't get [B]guaranteed money[/B]. However I can pay for my own disability insurance. Cant other people (and i will not mention any names because we dont need yet another thread about him) [B]purchase insurance to protect against career threathening injuries[/B]. I know of many sports players doing this in the past with [B]Llyods (spelling?) of London[/B]. :steamin:

[B][U] And another thing, Entitlement Generation [/U][/B]
    That's the problem with some of our society today. Get something for nothing. Do something so outrageous that you get your own reality show.

Example: Have 8 kids, be a ditz, have no talent, get a divorce, and go on dancing with the stars.

Snooki shnooki...

How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/QUOTE]

Ok, let's have at it.

You want to discuss?

Fine, the whole premise of your thread is wrong.

NFL contracts are NOT binding.

The NFL is NOT the real world.

Your cell phone contract is NOT a personal services contract with a celebrity--it has NO relevance to NFL contracts.

The NFL and NFL stars are ALL about ego and talent.

You take YOUR basketball away and no one will care.

Pro athletes do NOT think they are entitled to something for nothing--they think they are entitled to be paid for a talent that only a few thousand people in the entire WORLD possess.

YOU can't get "guaranteed money" because you have no talents that people want to watch and pay for. Certainly none that your employer wants to guarantee.

And people would obviously rather see Snooki any day of the week than what you have to offer. You may think that sad, but I submit, that's probably more sad for you than anyone else.

Not a personal attack, but your opinions seem extremely naive.

Don't be pulling the "personal attack" card if you can't back up what you are saying.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3716249]How old are you?

12?

Agree with Revis or not, this is PRO FOOTBALL. A multi-billion $$ business. Don't try and compare it to your $29.99 a month cell phone contract.

Do you realize Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks make $20MM fort a movie? Sly Stallone still gets about $10MM. Oprah makes $100MM a year.

It's ENTERTAINMENT, not school teachers and social workers.

Please stop. You take your basketball and go home, no one gives a sh*t because you aren't a pro player.

Oh, and who the hell wants to watch a reality show about the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons?

I don't agree with what Revis is doing, but seriously, grow up.

_[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it is you who should grow up, and learn the motto quid pro quo...just saying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716248]root cause of post is really about answering this question...

Can't players take out insurance contracts to protect themselves from loosing employment due to injury? Many sports players have in the past.

Players flock to Lloyd’s and London markets at injury time

[URL]http://www.lloyds.com/News-and-Insight/News-and-Features/Archive/2006/06/Players_flock_to_Lloyds_and_London_markets_at_injury_time[/URL][/QUOTE]

Football's a bit different - injury is so much more common that premiums are much higher for football players than for any other sport. The cost of insuring a major deal against injury would be prohibitive

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rgoltsch;3716257]I too work with contracts for business. I can't see how there is any similarity to Clemens situation. The Jets agree that he can play QB in the NFL, otherwise they wouldn't have kept him on the roster. However, they happened to find another vendor (Player) that can do the job slightly better for the same amount...so he had to take a contract reduction or be canned.

I'm sure you can write in an out to a contract...but you have to give something back in the negotiations to make the person sign that contract. The teams holds all the cards. Your vendors probably have more leverage in dealing with your company than the players have in dealing with the teams.

I was surprised how open the Jets were in their negotiations with Clemens on Hard Knocks last week. The negotiations went something like this.....Yes, you have a contract, yes we agreed to pay you 1 mil per year, but no, we don't think you are worth that. So we are going to cut you unless you agree to work for the minimum.

It is a cutthroat business. I want to see Revis back and I hate the idea of anyone renegging on a contract.........but this is the only card he holds. The NFL owners decided that this is the way they will do business. After seeing how the Jets treated Clemens, I lost most of my sympathy for the team regarding Revis' holdout. They no longer hold the moral high ground in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

The players, through their union collectively bargained the current system that they have. It sucks that your salary can be cut at any time like that, but the players agreed to the systemm it's not like they had no say in it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3716274]Perhaps it is you who should grow up, and learn the motto quid pro quo...just saying.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand.

This is a big board, some level of maturity should be used. Was I being harsh, probably, but the Revis situation is getting us all a bit testy.

If you're going to start a thread, lets not be so naive.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3716267]Excuse me, these are not personal attacks.

I think your arguments and rationale are simply extemely naive and have been discussed about a million times on this board.

You started the thread by comparing NFL contracts with your cell phone contract.

What would you like to discuss about that other than how utterly ridiculous that is?
    _[/QUOTE]

Actually, signed contracts are NOT naive...

Revis signed a contract. He agreed, after holding out, to play for six years at the price he signed for. Now, after three years, his ego is bruised. Guess what? In the real world, nobody would give a **** about his ego.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, this thread is no longer serving a purpose. You all know it's uber late. Can we all let it go and move on?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3716279]Actually, signed contracts are NOT naive...

Revis signed a contract. He agreed, after holding out, to play for six years at the price he signed for. Now, after three years, his ego is bruised. Guess what? In the real world, nobody would give a **** about his ego.[/QUOTE]

CS- I agree with you, but the NFL is not the real world.

Do you know who would be my hero?

If Woody Johnson became the first owner in HISTORY to tell a star player that he's going to rot for 3 years PLUS the extra year of FA he lost by holding out.

But it's not going to happen.

This isn't the real world--you or I hold out and we'd be out on our azzes because we can't cover Randy Moss.

At least I can't. He's too tall.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tmertz;3716280]OK, this thread is no longer serving a purpose. You all know it's uber late. Can we all let it go and move on?[/QUOTE]

Good point, going to bed.

Night Fred.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;3716279] Guess what? In the real world, nobody would give a **** about his ego.[/QUOTE]

or his ******* Grandma.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3716283]Good point, going to bed.

Night Fred.

_[/QUOTE]

LOL, tmertz not fredmertz. I assume you thought I was him, not "I Love Lucy". :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM3;3716235]Good lord, i can just imagine the threads that will pop up if Boldin goes for 120and 2TD's on Monday[/QUOTE]

LOL. Seriously!

I've lost my mind over this whole thing a few times in the past couple of weeks too. We're now seeing people who almost never post appearing out of the woodwork and starting threads trying to rationalize the Revis situation, come up with solutions, or make grand proclamations about how they'll never forgive (insert Tanny, Revis, Jets, Woody, Revis' agents, etc. here) for this whole situation!

Darrelle Revis has singlehandedly done something I never could have imagined. He took the entire New York Jets fanbase and actually made it nuttier than it already is!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3716281]CS- I agree with you, but the NFL is not the real world.

Do you know who would be my hero?

If Woody Johnson became the first owner in HISTORY to tell a star player that he's going to rot for 3 years PLUS the extra year of FA he lost by holding out.

But it's not going to happen.

This isn't the real world--you or I hold out and we'd be out on our azzes because we can't cover Randy Moss.

At least I can't. He's too tall.

_[/QUOTE]

JS....what the guy was saying, I think, was he signed a contract, he should honor it. You are not getting something for nothing,hence quid pro quo.
    While you or I can't cover Randy Moss, Revis can't hold the jets hostage just because he can.
    I can't perform open heart surgery, but that doesn't mean Dr. *** in our local hospitals can basically ask for a 1500 % raise.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh great

another Revis thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paul;3716232][B]I'm mad as hell and wont take it anymore!!![/B]

[B][U]Guaranteed Money[/U][/B]:
    What is the point of signing a contract if it isn't binding? It is in the real world. My cell phone has a contract. I would have to pay a penalty to get out of it. If you agree to sign a contract then honor it. It isnt a one way proposition that is only in one persons ego and best interest. If I dont get my way, I will take my basketball and walk off the court and go home and nobody will get to play mentality. Oh i get it, its about guaranteed money.

It seems many (but not all) young adults have this sense of[B] self entitlement[/B], that they deserve something for nothing. If I was worried about getting injured on my job, I can't get [B]guaranteed money[/B]. However I can pay for my own disability insurance. Cant other people (and i will not mention any names because we dont need yet another thread about him) [B]purchase insurance to protect against career threathening injuries[/B]. I know of many sports players doing this in the past with [B]Llyods (spelling?) of London[/B]. :steamin:

[B][U]And another thing, Entitlement Generation [/U][/B]
    That's the problem with some of our society today. Get something for nothing. Do something so outrageous that you get your own reality show.

Example: Have 8 kids, be a ditz, have no talent, get a divorce, and go on dancing with the stars.

Snooki shnooki...

How about a reality show based on the daily life of a real person, an unemployed joe looking for work, that lost his job due to no fault of his own except for budgetary reasons caused by the governor of NJ (who looks like he hasnt missed a good meal). :steamin:[/QUOTE]

Your comments about Chris Christie are stating the opposite of your point. The unions that he is against are all about ENTITLEMENT. If it wasn't for the unions demanding raises every year regardless of the economy and the product they are producing maybe the state wouldn't be so under water that people could have kept their jobs.

My sister-in-law lives in Rome NY and the teachers were given a choice of foregoing their raises or them cutting about 90 teachers. The ENTITLED teachers chose to can thier bretheren rather than skip the raise. Now whose fault is it that all those people are out of work?

This is happening all over the country. Christie is just trying to make things work in the state again. Or would you rather him just raise taxes again like CoreSlime?

The problem with Revis and his agents is that they refuse to compromise which is an integral piece of the negotiating process.