Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guaranteed Money, Entitlement Generation

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=rgoltsch;3716257]I too work with contracts for business. I can't see how there is any similarity to Clemens situation. The Jets agree that he can play QB in the NFL, otherwise they wouldn't have kept him on the roster. However, they happened to find another vendor (Player) that can do the job slightly better for the same amount...so he had to take a contract reduction or be canned.

I'm sure you can write in an out to a contract...but you have to give something back in the negotiations to make the person sign that contract. The teams holds all the cards. Your vendors probably have more leverage in dealing with your company than the players have in dealing with the teams.

I was surprised how open the Jets were in their negotiations with Clemens on Hard Knocks last week. The negotiations went something like this.....Yes, you have a contract, yes we agreed to pay you 1 mil per year, but no, we don't think you are worth that. So we are going to cut you unless you agree to work for the minimum.

It is a cutthroat business. I want to see Revis back and I hate the idea of anyone renegging on a contract.........but this is the only card he holds. The NFL owners decided that this is the way they will do business. After seeing how the Jets treated Clemens, I lost most of my sympathy for the team regarding Revis' holdout. They no longer hold the moral high ground in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

What if MEvi$ played poorly last year and the Jets asked the greedy one to cut his salary. Would the greedy one say " I have a valid, signed contract" rather then give money back? In Kellen's case the Jets allowed him to test the waters and other teams did not want his services. He had no place to go. He voluntarily accepted the reduced salary. He has to realize that he has underperformed for a variety of reasons so far. No market valus hurts him in any salary negotiations.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Trades;3716348]Your comments about Chris Christie are stating the opposite of your point. The unions that he is against are all about ENTITLEMENT. If it wasn't for the unions demanding raises every year regardless of the economy and the product they are producing maybe the state wouldn't be so under water that people could have kept their jobs.

My sister-in-law lives in Rome NY and the teachers were given a choice of foregoing their raises or them cutting about 90 teachers. The ENTITLED teachers chose to can thier bretheren rather than skip the raise. Now whose fault is it that all those people are out of work?

This is happening all over the country. Christie is just trying to make things work in the state again. Or would you rather him just raise taxes again like CoreSlime?

The problem with Revis and his agents is that they refuse to compromise which is an integral piece of the negotiating process.[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness we have stalwart defenders of the billionaire owners in this country, to protect them from organized labor.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3716353]What if MEvi$ played poorly last year and the Jets asked the greedy one to cut his salary. Would the greedy one say " I have a valid, signed contract" rather then give money back? In Kellen's case the Jets allowed him to test the waters and other teams did not want his services. He had no place to go. He voluntarily accepted the reduced salary. He has to realize that he has underperformed for a variety of reasons so far. No market valus hurts him in any salary negotiations.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason everyone should be impressed with Gholston. Not only has he had his best camp ever but he did it after offering to take a pay cut. Not that I know much about him other than this but I think it says alot about the man's character to say that he realizes that he has underperformed, was probably worried that he could be cut and made this offer.

[QUOTE=sg3;3716309]oh great

another Revis thread[/QUOTE]

Yeah, shocking isn't it? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I understand what Paul is saying. Revis signed a deal which he went back on, looking for a new deal. It makes NO sense that Revis would sit for an entire year, or even never play another down for the NYJ's. Sorry, but I don't see how our secondary is so vastly improved without him, but we shall see how much it has improved over the first 4 games :yes:

[QUOTE=rgoltsch;3716241]I would assume you are bringing this up in regards to Revis. A pro football contract is not like any other pro sports contract......if you are no longer worth what they are paying you, you get cut.....or forced to take a pay cut to stay on the team (See Kellen Clemens).

Today's football players have to get the money now, it may not be there next year. Look at Leon Washington.......he got hurt and lost any negotiating leverage when his contract was up.

As for the rest of your post....

deleted.....don't need to feed the anger[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. All contracts in all the world are the same. Both sides should understand the specifics and outclauses when they sign.

Like Football players If I can no longer do my job I will be fired and if I don't do it to the level in which I'm supposed to I may be asked to work for less money...That's the way the world works.

Leon Washington was offered $5mm a year and turned it down - let's be clear - most people on this board won't make $5mm in their LIFETIME!!!! So please stop with the NFL contracts are different. They are NOT.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Trades;3716348]Your comments about Chris Christie are stating the opposite of your point. The unions that he is against are all about ENTITLEMENT. If it wasn't for the unions demanding raises every year regardless of the economy and the product they are producing maybe the state wouldn't be so under water that people could have kept their jobs.

My sister-in-law lives [B]in Rome NY and the teachers were given a choice of foregoing their raises or them cutting about 90 teachers. [/B]The ENTITLED teachers chose to can thier bretheren rather than skip the raise. Now whose fault is it that all those people are out of work?

This is happening all over the country. Christie is just trying to make things work in the state again. Or would you rather him just raise taxes again like CoreSlime?

The problem with Revis and his agents is that they refuse to compromise which is an integral piece of the negotiating process.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this, would you? I find it interesting that the school board basically had teachers turn on each other.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3716365]You wouldn't happen to have a link to this, would you? I find it interesting that the school board basically had teachers turn on each other.[/QUOTE]

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. It was last year.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3716261]Seriously, how old ARE you?

You probably think world peace is a noble and achievable goal, yes?

_[/QUOTE]

Dude, how old are YOU???

I can't recall exactly when my ability to retort went beyond "how old are you", but I'm pretty sure it was a while ago.

If you don't like his opinion, then ignore it. Personally I agree with him.

You don't sign a contract to perform at 80% efficiency, and then DEMAND a raise if you do better. Owners pay MILLIONS of dollars under the assumption the player will give his BEST EFFORT.

If you don't/can't perform at the level your contract demands, then you do NOT deserve the entirety of the contract.

Could a player get hurt? Sure. So he leaves with the money he made, and then find another line of work (like anyone else would have to do).

Enough with this "give me $40 mill guaranteed because we all know I won't be as good in the future as I am now, but I still want to make that type of money regardless of whether I deserve it or not . . ."

It's the way the system is set up, so I don't blame the players for trying to take advantage of it.

But save your commentary on those of us who think it has ENTITLEMENT written all over it . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=beemer;3716355]Thank goodness we have stalwart defenders of the billionaire owners in this country, to protect them from organized labor.[/QUOTE]

I am not defending billionaires. Last I checked schools were paid by tax payers not billionaires. The problem is that unions are running our schools and there is no accountability.

I was commenting on the Christie comment not the veiled Revis comments stating that they are completely different cases.

Jets Insider VIP
    After I saw the name of that fat crooked hack Christie in here, I stopped reading it

off to the politics threads, please

[QUOTE=Trades;3716366]I did a quick search and didn't find anything. It was last year.[/QUOTE]

I know the BOE in Manalapan NJ had the same sort of thing happen. They were essentially given a choice between a wage freeze or firing 80 teachers, so peace out teachers.

I think the greater point if you want to incorporate CC bashing would be the whole 400m$ race to the top debacle.

Plus for the OP please remember that the entitlement generation is also the live and let live generation. I manage to go days at a time without making posts that link middle aged people I dont like to the racism, sexism, and communist baiting of when they grew up. That sort of trope might fit in a Bingo Hall or a letter to the editor of a local newspaper, but when you can backpedal faster than a normal guy can sprint you can start making blanket statements about 'young people'.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3716353]What if MEvi$ played poorly last year and the Jets asked the greedy one to cut his salary. [/QUOTE]

what if my aunt had balls? she'd be my uncle.