Thread: Founding member of ELO killed as giant runaway hay bale smashes into car

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Founding member of ELO killed as giant runaway hay bale smashes into car

gives new meaning to the song "turning to stone"
    [QUOTE][B]
    Founding member of ELO killed in freak accident as giant runaway hay bale smashes into his van

By Kate Loveys
    [/B]
    A founding member of ELO has been killed in a freak accident when a giant hay bale rolled out of a field and landed on his van.

Cellist Mike Edwards died instantly when the 50-stone cylindrical bale careered down a slope, flipped 15ft over a hedge and smashed on to the roof of his van.

Mr Edwards, 62, was known for unconventional cello playing including plucking the strings with an orange or grapefruit and his bizarre customs which became a major ingredient of ELO, the Electric Light Orchestra.

Scroll down for video
    Tragedy: Mike Edwards, a former cellist in ELO, died in a freak accident when a 50-stone bale of hay rolled down a hill, flipped over a hedge and crashed down on his van

Tragedy: Mike Edwards, a former cellist in ELO, died in a freak accident when a 50-stone bale of hay rolled down a hill, flipped over a hedge and crashed down on his van

He was celebrated for his live 'party piece', named the Dying Swan, during which he would perform a solo with his cello 'exploding' at the end. The musician quit the band in 1975 to become a Buddhist, changing his name to Deva Pramada and making his living by teaching the cello.

Police say the accident happened at around 12.30pm on Friday on the A381 between Harbetonford and Halwell in Devon.

The victim was driving a white transit-type van towards Kinsgbridge when the bale of hay smashed into the front cab.

The van swerved after it was hit and then collided with another smaller van coming the other way - but the second driver was unhurt.
    mike edwards

Eccentric: Mike Edwards's bizarre costumes and ability to play his cello with fruit were a major part of ELO's appeal

Police identified him with the use of photographs and YouTube footage and have appealed for help in contacting his family for formal identification.

Inspector Andy Hamilton said: 'We are liaising with the health and safety people and gathering evidence from the scene of the accident and the field.

'The van came into contact with a very large bale of hay. We are investigating how this came to happen.'

He added that police had spoken to the farmer who owns the field and would be talking to him again shortly.

Police identified him with the use of photographs and YouTube footage and have appealed for help in contacting his family for formal identification.

Steve Walker of Devon and Cornwall police traffic unit said: 'We don't believe he was ever married. We have identified an ex-girlfriend but she is currently abroad.

'We think he may have a brother called David in the Yorkshire area and we obviously need to contact him.

'Michael had no immediate family but we believe he taught cello in Devon and would ask his students to contact us if they know of any relatives.' The accident happened at around 12.30pm on Friday on the A381 between Harbertonford and Halwell in Devon.

It is believed a farmer was working on a tractor in the field shortly before the incident. Inspector Andy Hamilton said his officers were investigating the cause of the tragedy.

Read more: [url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1309256/Electric-Light-Orchestra-founding-member-Mike-Edwards-killed-50-stone-hay-bale-freak-accident.html#ixzz0yiWBTcxU[/url][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/05/article-1309256-0B0C462F000005DC-951_634x347.jpg[/IMG]

That sucks and it sure goes to show you never know when your time is going to be up or the circumstances.

Instant death from above...
    Last edited by 82nd Airborne; 09-06-2010 at 03:37 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[IMG]http://bp0.blogger.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/Rbzz5FPaVwI/AAAAAAAABas/Va9ojwEktUE/s320/132220__larry_l.jpg[/IMG]

_

Having listened to some of this band's catalogue, I would say that the article makes an understatement when it says that his ability to play his cello with pieces of fruit was a "major part" of ELO's appeal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=32green;3718264][IMG]http://bp0.blogger.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/Rbzz5FPaVwI/AAAAAAAABas/Va9ojwEktUE/s320/132220__larry_l.jpg[/IMG]

_[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a riot. I'm sure the guys family really appreciates your jokes at this time. Not everything is a joke.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;3718562]Yeah that's a riot. I'm sure the guys family really appreciates your jokes at this time. Not everything is a joke.[/QUOTE]

They post at Jets N*tion.

I knew that.

_

RIP.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWjhra0kOYE&feature=related[/url]

Stop, hay, what's that sound?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3719256]Stop, hay, what's that sound?[/QUOTE]

Very good. :D

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=The Hit Stick;3718561]Having listened to some of this band's catalogue, I would say that the article makes an understatement when it says that his ability to play his cello with pieces of fruit was a "major part" of ELO's appeal.[/QUOTE]

LMAO...that was low hanging fruit. Well done.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=The Hit Stick;3718561]Having listened to some of this band's catalogue, I would say that the article makes an understatement when it says that his ability to play his cello with pieces of fruit was a "major part" of ELO's appeal.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

btw, that was low hanging fruit. Well done.

All League
    I just can't get it out of my head.:(

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3719939]I just can't get it out of my head.:([/QUOTE]

What, worried it was that Evil Woman?

Jets Insider VIP
    ELO is a fave of mine. Sad way to go. RIP.

No longer a livin' thing.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    This could have been prevented if they didn't drive on the wrong side of the road. :(

:rip:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3720089]This could have been prevented if they didn't drive on the wrong side of the road. :(

:rip:[/QUOTE]

Hay, now!

-

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=32green;3720097]Hay, now![/QUOTE]
    Gone tomorrow.