Cromartie: "The Jets are the Miami Heat Of Football"

Cromartie: Jets 'are the Miami Heat of football'
    Posted on: September 8, 2010 11:22 am
    Score: 169
    Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

* Log-in to rate:

Posted by Will Brinson

If you weren't expecting the Jets to be less obnoxious the night of the "Hard Knocks" finale or slightly humbled as the season gets closer, well, you were wrong. You were also stupid -- as soon as they got Darrelle Revis back, it was obvious they were only going to get cockier.

But Antonio Cromartie has taken it to a new level, unless I'm somehow badly misconstruing the quote he dropped on Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News .

"We're the Miami Heat of football," cornerback Cromartie said.

Cro wasn't the only one smack-talking, either. (Note that we'll examine his statement below.)

"Some people may think if we took a step closer and just got there, that'd be enough," tight end Dustin Keller said. "But it's not at all. This team is basically Super Bowl or bust."

That's not TOO insane. Everyone should be "Super Bowl or bust" before the year in the NFL.

Mark Sanchez' decision to say "We're building a dream team," could be considered a little cooky though.

Okay, so you've heard the other crazy talk, but re: Cro and the Heat, is it a) ridiculous, b) incorrect, c) foolish or d) all of the above?

I'll go with "d" and here's why: for the Jets to be the "Miami Heat of football," they would need a top-three player in the NFL at three-fifths of the 22 positions on the field. Darrelle Revis gives them that at one position. Bart Scott perhaps. Santonio Holmes is a hell of a slot receiver, no question about it. Nick Mangold is an excellent center. Etc, etc.

Look, I get that they're 1) chock full of big names, 2) riddled with tons of veterans chasing a ring, 3) one of the few favorites to win the championship even though people are really skeptical and 4) universally hated, but all of those things don't combine to overcome the fact that in comparison to the Heat, the Jets lack a significant amount of elite talent to really make a valid comparison.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsnfl on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed .

Shut up and play the game.

Who is the Full Retard that wrote that drivel?

Hall Of Fame
    I am now dumber after reading that article

All Pro
    I think the Mink is taking a casual analogy too literally.

All League
    Sports journalism in 2010. Gotta love it.

Yep...dumb dee dumb...dump...