Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wilson gets shot as punt returner

Kyle Wilson gets shot as punt returner

When the New York Jets drafted Kyle Wilson in the first round, they talked up his ability as a dynamic punt returner. In the preseason, he returned exactly zero punts. But they're going to unveil him Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens, adding another juicy subplot to the season opener.

Wilson will share the punt-returning duties with old reliable, Jim Leonhard, special teams coordinator/"Hard Knocks" star Mike Westhoff said Friday. Westhoff wouldn't say how they'll be used -- top secret -- but it's safe to assume it will be based on situations. For instance, if the Ravens are punting from "plus" territory (on the Jets' side of the 50), it might be the sure-handed Leonhard. You don't want to be muffing punts near your own goal line.

This is a tough spot for Wilson, who didn't get a shot in the preseason because his role on defense expanded with the absence of Darrelle Revis. The coaches didn't want to burden him with too much responsibility. Now, imagine playing your first professional game on Monday Night Football and being asked to return punts for the first time in the NFL. Westhoff knows the deal, but he has total confidence in Wilson, who brings the home-run element into the equation.

"If he had been our guy in the preseason," Westhoff said, "we'd have three touchdowns."

In his career at Boise State, Wilson averaged 12.6 yards and scored three touchdowns on punt returns.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/1639/kyle-wilson-gets-shot-as-punt-returner[/url]

The return of Revis has allowed the Jets the ability to use Wilson as our nickel back/punt returner.

Love it.

Veteran
    Of course he'll return at least some punts. I wouldn't trust McKnight to take a knee.

He's gonna be the next great CB... Him and Revis will be the best in the NFL.
    Take one to the house, Wilson!

[QUOTE=RoadFan;3726702]Of course he'll return at least some punts. I wouldn't trust McKnight to take a knee.[/QUOTE]

McKnight was fine as a PR, but hes not making it close to the active roster this year. Now the Jets have a dynamic PR and dont need to waste an active spot for McK (not like they were going to anyway).

He'll be rookie DPOY.

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3726711]He's gonna be the next great CB... Him and Revis will be the best in the NFL.
    Take one to the house, Wilson![/QUOTE]

I really hope we sign Cromartie long term. Having a trio of Revis, Cromartie and Wilson could be something special for many of years to come. It's been a long time coming since we've had a nickel back that could lock down opposing slot WR's such as the Wes Welkers of the world. I would love for Kyle Wilson to become our next Ray Mickens. If Wilson can live up to his hype coming out of college, our days of watching #3 WR's eat us alive could be long gone.

[QUOTE=Bleed4TheGreen;3726718]I really hope we sign Cromartie long term. Having a trio of Revis, Cromartie and Wilson could be something special for many of years to come. It's been a long time coming since we've had a nickel back that could lock down opposing slot WR's such as the Wes Welkers of the world. I would love for Kyle Wilson to become our next Ray Mickens. If Wilson can live up to his hype coming out of college, our days of watching #3 WR's eat us alive could be long gone.[/QUOTE]

Too bad its not cost effective, especially when Cromartie has a huge year :D

All League
    [QUOTE=Bleed4TheGreen;3726718]I really hope we sign Cromartie long term. Having a trio of Revis, Cromartie and Wilson could be something special for many of years to come. It's been a long time coming since we've had a nickel back that could lock down opposing slot WR's such as the Wes Welkers of the world. I would love for Kyle Wilson to become our next Ray Mickens. If Wilson can live up to his hype coming out of college, our days of watching #3 WR's eat us alive could be long gone.[/QUOTE]

+1 I would love for us to keep both Cromartie and Wilson, but like another poster said it probably wont happen due to money and the salary cap.

Wilson will be an excellent CB to be paired opposite Revis in future years, but for this year atleast he should be a shutdown nickle back, someone to help cover the Welkers of the world.

He will be Ray Mickens times ten, IMO, I loved Mickens as a nickle but we didnt have the ability to be a starting CB, something that Wilson definatly can and will do in the future.

[QUOTE=Bleed4TheGreen;3726700]The return of Revis has allowed the Jets the ability to use Wilson as our nickel back/punt returner.

Love it.[/QUOTE]

Hey Phil.

:byebye:

All League

Who do you think will be the "x-factor" in the secondary, here in 2010?

Wilson is the anti-McKnight, a rookie who came in prepared and ready to play free of all the histrionics. Who knows what will happen? But I really like this kid. Best of luck, Kyle. Have a great year returning the ball.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwj7JemkC4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwj7JemkC4[/URL]
    Last edited by child please; 09-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.

He'll return punts until the 1st time he gets really whacked and misses some playing time on defense as the nickel guy.

Slot receivers have swallowed up the Jets.

If Wilson can live up to his hype coming out of college, our days of watching #3 WR's eat us alive could be long gone.

--[I][/I]thats for sure. We have been killed by Wes Welker and his ilk for the past few years. We never seemed to have the talent to cover them; until this year.:yes:

It will be a great sub-plot to watch Welker next week against Wilson and Cromartie.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3726969]He'll return punts until the 1st time he gets really whacked and misses some playing time on defense as the nickel guy.[/QUOTE]

I always hated aaron glenn returning kicks.

I remember what the Jets did to Jason Seehorn when he tried returning a kick.

[QUOTE=Seagirt;3726982]
    --[I][/I]thats for sure. We have been killed by Wes Welker and his ilk for the past few years. We never seemed to have the talent to cover them; until this year.:yes:

It will be a great sub-plot to watch Welker next week against Wilson and Cromartie.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Also, lets not forget, but we have two #1 CB's in Revis and Cromartie. Cromartie is a true #1 CB talent with excellent man to man coverage skill. We now have the ability to stick Cromartie on Moss (From time to time), in 3rd and short types of situations, with Darrelle Revis on Wes Welker in the slot! We could then use Wilson as our #2 CB on the outside. Being able to use Revis on Welker could be a huge advantage for the Jets when Brady and the Patriots are looking to connect with Welker on a quick slant.

Wilson has never covered an NFL receiver, or even an NFL caliber one for that matter.

How can you be so confident that he is going to be a good, let alone great, NFL CB?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=surviveone;3726699][B]When the New York Jets drafted Kyle Wilson in the first round, they talked up his ability as a dynamic punt returner. In the preseason, he returned exactly zero punts. But they're going to unveil him Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens, adding another juicy subplot to the season opener. [/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. :yes:

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;3727018]Wilson has never covered an NFL receiver, or even an NFL caliber one for that matter.

How can you be so confident that he is going to be a good, let alone great, NFL CB?[/QUOTE]

Wilson hasn't covered an NFL caliber receiver yet? wrong. I guess you missed training camp, where Kyle Wilson went up against talented WR's such as Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes and Jerricho Cotchery day in and day out.

Why shouldn't Jet fans be confident in KW's ability to become great? He's already good. If Kyle Wilson wasn't a true talent, there would be no way in hell that Rex Ryan would have started him as our #2 CB without Revis.